LED lights - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #1

LED lights

I am hoping to get a little more detail about replacing interior bulbs with the Superbright or similar LED's.
Has anybody replaced their interior lights with LEDs in their Escape?
What type, model number did you use?
Do they simply plug in to the existing bulb sockets or do they need to be hard wired?
Do they give enough light with the standard light covers that come with the Escape or do you have to change to clear covers?
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #2

Re: LED lights

I can answer some of those questions. I got some from Reace. They plug right into the original light socket, provide enough light to read by (although I put tinfoil in behind the new bulbs to get a bit better light), and work with the original light covers. Model number etc I can't help you with.
mosquitodirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Just a thought, we have always changed out our white light covers for clear ones as it makes quite a difference
has anyone checked the local RV parts dept. to see if they have them for the lights used in the Escape Trailers?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I got one LED light from Tammy when I was out there a couple weeks ago. Still haven't installed it, but she did demonstrate it for me. It's a 9 LED array and emits a pleasing light. At $36 apiece, I don't plan on buying a bunch more. Tammy said they were made by somebody she knows, so I don't think they are widely marketed or have a name.

Which brings me to my point. You don't have to replace every bulb in the trailer with LED to save power. The one I got will be installed over the spot the Old Bag has chosen to curl up and read. Next camping trip, I'll pay more attention to which lights get the most use and change over when I recognize a benefit. I'm not going to wholesale replace bulbs.

baglo
Old 04-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I bought 2 of THESE 1W LED reading lights. They are not here yet, but hope to have them soon. They will go under the bulkheads in the corners at the head of the bed for reading.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

This thread prompted me to go out to the trailer and install the LED. I'm not sure how it compares to other LED bulbs, although when Tammy demonstrated it, it was certainly brighter than the other ones. Viewing the light I would say it is almost as bright as a regular bulb. The light is white, not that painful blue of many LEDs, but I like the yellow cast of the regular bulb. It just makes you feel warmer.

Rather than spend a lot of money on LED bulbs, I'm inclined to get that generator to top up the battery as needed.

I haven't told the Old Bag that I switched the bulb. I'm just going to observe. See if she still curls up in that spot, or chooses another. Then in my retirement, maybe I'll publish a book on the psychology of light or just check it out of my local library.

Took my old light meter out to Toad and measured the light. The LED gave me an EV of 7.5 and the regular bulb gave an EV of 8.

baglo
Old 05-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #7

I went here and bought three of the $19.99 white LEDs for 1156/1141 lights. My wife and I love them, I also replaced the old lenses with the clear ones. Much brighter and about an eigth of the power consumption. I would like to do all of mine but will wait and see if the price comes down.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #8

I ordered the following from http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm for my 2004 17B.
I pulled out the bulbs I wanted to replace and tried to match them to the correct LED replacement. I will post an update when I get them and see if this experiment in LED works.

Product: 1156-PCB-W36 White LED lamp $ 16.95 (each) - For Exterior Door light

Product: 921-x12 Wedge Base LED bulb $ 3.95 (each) - For replacing the bulbs in the reading lights.
Options: Warm White 921-WW12 2.00

Product: 921-x12 Wedge Base LED bulb $ 3.95 (each) - for over the stove / hood fan - thought that Natural White might be brighter.
Options: Natural White 921-NW12 2.00
Old 07-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #9

I have installed the bulbs and am really happy with them. Shipped as advertised and all worked. I will try and take pics, but it is hard to really show what the lighting looks like.

The yellow are not as warm as the orig. bulbs but pretty good (I prefer a yellow tone to my interior bulbs). I put the colder colours over the cooking area/bathroom as they seem to be a bit brighter.
I have no concerns with the intensity of light coming from these bulbs. Seems close to the orig bulbs.
The exterior 36 bulb light I ordered is very bright and fits in the housing with no problems. It is a colder, blue tinged light and it really sparks up the front area.

LED bulbs are a viable option these days and if you are looking for efficiencies I wouldn't hesitate in doing this simple upgrade.

Make sure you match the old bulb type with the new LED one, I found it pretty simple to do on the superbright web site. One bulb they shipped was damaged and they shipped me a replacement, no questions, no hassels. A good online experience for me.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Great, thanks for that update. I have to order some LED's, it will soon become more of an issue as the daylight fades away.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #11

Here is the wedge shaped bulb -
Attached Thumbnails
921-x12WedgeBaseLEDbulb .jpg  
Old 07-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #12

Here is the 36 led that I used on the outside entry way. I will likely have to use some doublesided tape to secure it. Very bright.
Attached Thumbnails
superbright36led.jpg  
Old 07-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Thanks for the research and the information.