Lift Axle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Lift Axle

I am wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this. I am fairly mixed about it. I do travel some on gravel roads and will be on the odd off road spot, but that would be a small part of the time. I have listed a couple of the advantages and disadvantages as I see them. I would love to hear some input from both those who have Escape trailers already, as well as those who have one in the works.

Advantages:
-Basically better clearance for the trailer

Disadvantages:
-More wind drag, a bit poorer fuel economy
-Higher to step in to
-Looks?

If you have the raised axle, are you glad you got it, or do you find it not to much of an advantage?

If you don't have the raised axle, are you glad you opted out, or do you wish you had got it?

All thoughts and opinions welcomed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Lift Axle

My plan was to purchase a Toyota Tacoma, so I ordered the high-lift axle. I got the RAV because the Old Bag didn't like the climb up into the Tacoma and as she pointed out, we're getting older and frailer.

I haven't noticed that my 17B has the lift when it comes to entering and exiting the trailer. Can't say what effect it has on gas mileage since I don't have one without the lift to compare, but I suspect it's not that much.

I recall sitting at the camp waiting for a buddy with a 17' Boler ( or is the longer one shorter than that? ). I could hear him coming for several minutes as the Boler smashed its rear end on the rocks that formed the "road" in. He tore up some fiberglass.

So, I would think the high-lift is a must if you're not sticking to manicured roads.

baglo
Old 04-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Jim, HokieEscape has the high lift because I didn't know what kind of tow vehicle I'd end up with. I think is looks GREAT with the Frontier, and tows wonderfully. The step up seems very normal, not high. One big advantage, it puts the dumping mechanisms higher for some parks that have elevated sewer connection, like the one in the picture in Provo, Utah!!!!! Silly! I got a "sidewinder" hose holder the next day that would have solved the problem on my elevated camper, but wouldn't have helped a "lower" one, perhaps? The only downside is that I had to go buy a second set of blocks for Hokie. As you can see, if I tried to crank down the rear stabalizers without blocks, they would be pointing straight down, and most likely, not touching the ground.[img][img]
Attached Thumbnails
ToMoab14.jpg  
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Jim...We have a 2" lift to fit the fullsize GMC pickup under the pin. We too have had to use blocks under the rear stabilizers and the vinyl skirt for the screen room hangs short of the ground. The step in height is not bothersome. The only thing I find a distraction is more wheel well showing above the tires. :
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #5

I didn't get the lift and only once ran into a problem - more to the point I suppose I backed into the problem. And by problem I mean "ditch". (it was dark, it looked ok, it wasn't).

Bent the step - bent it back and it works fine.

No other issues, and the trailer has been all over rough roads and through deep snow.
mosquitodirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Hi Jim

I ordered the high lift axle because it is 22" to the top of the ball
according to Tammy and this will line up perfect with my Tacoma.
I don't think the added height will effect the MPG any measurable
amount, entering and exiting sites with any type of a dip or slope
will be easier on the trailer (if you don't tag the back end).
The only difference is 2" and that shouldn't prove to be to
much of a challenge at our age.....
Old 04-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #7

The 19 looks like it sits fairly high with the standard axle. I would hate myself if I did ground out sometime, though one could add skid plates quite easily. This avoiding bumping and scraping would really be the only reason to use a raised axle.

I did wonder about the look of the big gap above the tires in the wheel well. I would not be worried about the hitch height, as I would just be one with the appropriately sized offset to go in the receiver if I don't have one that is the right size.

Where did you guys buy your stabilizer blocks? I have always used short lengths of 2x6, and bring a few others along for blocking under tires if needed.

I will need to confirm soon, as it is only 5 weeks from tomorrow when I pick up my trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #8

What is the height of the hitch to ball on the standard 19 foot Escape ?
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #9

I believe it is around 19". This is what I measured when I was there, and the trailer was fairly level.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett

Where did you guys buy your stabilizer blocks? I have always used short lengths of 2x6, and bring a few others along for blocking under tires if needed.

I will need to confirm soon, as it is only 5 weeks from tomorrow when I pick up my trailer.
Hi Jim,
You can get them at either WallyWorld or Camping World. They come in a nice carrying case 10 at a time. None of my hatches allows the size of the case when full, so I placed 10 up front, and 10 in my exterior (added extra) hatch under the bench seats, all loose. They all stack together and is MUCH cleaner, neater and lighter than the pieces of wood I used to carry!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #11

I imagine I could get them in most RV dealership parts departments then. We don't have either of those stores around here.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'

Jim and all,
What is the equivalent to Walmart in Canada? Come to think of it, what's the equiv. to Home Depot/Lowes for home repair, tooling and so forth? As much as Jenny and I would like to bring it "all" for the 19, we know there is no enough room in and on the 4 Runner to do it, so I'm sure we will be looking for a place like the aforementioned. Ian

Old 04-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #13

We have Wallmarts, I'm going to now assume that's what Wallyworld is then. I always thought it was some kind of theme park for some reason. Oops :

We do have Home Depot, but no Lowes. Another large chain building supply store up here is Rona. Though, for business I rarely use these places preferring to use suppliers that deliver to our jobsites.

I would imagine you could pick up almost anything you would want to buy new after you pick up your trailer, Ian. I don't know that area at all, but I am sure Reace and Tammy will be able to steer you in the right direction. Are you going to be using a rooftop carrier too?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

There is a Walmart(albeit small) and a Zellers (similar type store) just the other side of the freeway (highway 1) So if you are there during business hours---you can darn near get anything you need.
Also, across the street from both of those places is a Canadian Tire which is another great place for too many items.....
Old 04-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'

J & A -
Thanks - that looks like it would solve any immediate needs after we pick up Houdini.
We have a 36" X 36" X 18" capacity roof bag that will be filled to capacity no doubt - we are doing a trial pack up this weekend to get an idea of our approach. I gotta take a photo of the collection in the guest room and we can all have a laugh! Ian

Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

There is also O'Connor RV, about 5 min. from Escape for trailer accessories, and maybe 20 min. away is Fraserway RV which has a parts and accessories showroom about six times larger. I browsed it a couple days ago, but have to admit I didn't buy anything.

They do have a combo washer/dryer on sale for about $1,300........

baglo
Old 05-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Well we just picked up our 19 last weekend, with the high lift axle and the
equalizer hitch dropped as low as it would go everything lined up great
and towed perfectly
Old 06-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #18

I have the hi-lift axle (4") and 30" tires for a total lift of 6". This height works out perfectly level with my FJ Cruiser, which also has a 3" lift. The additional ground clearance is really appreciated on some of the roads (really trails) I have gotten onto.

I used the leveling blocks described earlier in this thread but it took too many of them stacked up, especially on sloped sites. While in camping world I found some plastic jack stand supports, yellow cones about 10" tall. I modified the top of them so my leveling jacks fit snugly. Four of them will be significanly more costly than a set of the blocks, but I really like the functionality much better, and they look cool too.

Alan "Ace" Brown

Back in Ogden for a couple of days after spending a week in Idaho's Sawtooths.
Ace Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:07 AM   #19

Alan, can you put a picture up showing your "cones"?
Old 07-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #20

Thye should be seen on camping world's site...try looking for tongue jack stands. They look just like small yellow traffic cones.

Alan

Ace Brown is offline   Reply With Quote