Light height over storage box - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Light height over storage box

Finalizing build sheet. Having LED light installed above storage box. If light is centered above belly band will it be high enough to see into open storage box?

Thanks! - Jim A
Ahernjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Light height

Here’s a picture I took of a 19 on its way to delivery August 17, 2017 It shows where their light was mounted which looked about perfect to me. I saw the trailer later at Niagara Falls in September and it still looked to be at about the right height. Wish I had one, would be handy and I’d probably use it more than the one on the drivers side. That’s not a black and white photo, it was that Smokey in Columbus Montana that day.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
D6FF9FEF-99C4-4755-9C09-2E2F7359BCF1.jpg  
Old 08-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
We are finalizing our build sheet today, and now I think I need one too!! It looks like it would be great for late night hitching, rummaging through the storage bin, or propane check/change.
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
some owners have mounted the front light up high and some at the belly band. The higher one will illuminate a broader area whereas the lower one will help with hitching up. The lid of the box will block some light when open. The good news, with the batteries located inside the box, it is very easy to mount a light inside the box, on a switch to illuminate the inside. I did that as well as mounted addition bullet lights on the box bottom that illuminated where the stabilizers would be to help during those night time hook ups.See here for info http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ions-8841.html
Old 08-28-2018, 08:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahernjp View Post
Finalizing build sheet. Having LED light installed above storage box. If light is centered above belly band will it be high enough to see into open storage box?

Thanks! - Jim A
I just checked our 21, Jim. Our front light is about 2-3 inches above the belly band. When the lid is ‘open’ the light is 6-8 inches above the lid. There would be no interference and fully illuminate the box and any hitching duties

Go for it, baby!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:31 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Good to know, my memory will be refreshed soon enough....
Old 08-29-2018, 08:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
During my 19's build, I had ETI add a light over the storage box at the same location shown on Iowa Dave's photo. That was about 5 years ago and I don't think that I have used that light yet. But I am positive that it will come in handy some day!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahernjp View Post

Thanks! - Jim A
I don’t even have a box as my trailer is a 5.0 TA. Now if I had a box I think what I would like is a light built into the the lid. If ETI couldn’t do it think I would when I got it.😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Seems like Cpaharley already done that. Not trying to be redundant,just a little slow😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
I just checked our 21, Jim. Our front light is about 2-3 inches above the belly band. When the lid is ‘open’ the light is 6-8 inches above the lid. There would be no interference and fully illuminate the box and any hitching duties

Go for it, baby!
Does this light have its own switch or is it on the same circuit with the porch and other exterior lights? Thanks.
IMJ in FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilly View Post
Does this light have its own switch or is it on the same circuit with the porch and other exterior lights? Thanks.

All exterior lights have their own switch right on them (interior lights are same). Normally Escape will only wire the passenger side porch light to a second switch that’s inside by the door. However, you can ask them to wire all of the exterior lights to the same switch also. Any lights thus wired to a switch inside the trailer must have both the interior switch and the switch on the light itself both on for the light to be on. AFAIK, they will not do three way wiring, which would allow you to turn a light on and off from two locations, regardless of switch position at the other location.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I like that only the porch light is switched from inside. The others are task lights and seeing you will be by them when needed they can be turned on as needed. I certainly would not want them all to come on from the same switch.

On my 19 I never used the extra exterior lights. On my 5.0TA the one under the loft has been handy to see in the storage hatch there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
All exterior lights have their own switch right on them (interior lights are same). Normally Escape will only wire the passenger side porch light to a second switch that’s inside by the door. However, you can ask them to wire all of the exterior lights to the same switch also. Any lights thus wired to a switch inside the trailer must have both the interior switch and the switch on the light itself both on for the light to be on. AFAIK, they will not do three way wiring, which would allow you to turn a light on and off from two locations, regardless of switch position at the other location.
ETI will also wire any additional exterior light(s) to a second switch or switches inside, and place the extra switches inside of the entry door. So one can switch exterior lights on and off separately from the inside, so they are not all on at once.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
We had ETI wire up an extra switch for the porch light and one for the front and drivers side. That way you can leave the porch light on without bothering your neighbor. You also can turn on the other lights on from inside if you hear noises at night.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front led high enough?, led light height, light for storage box