Living with a desk top computer? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #1

Trailer: TBD
Living with a desk top computer?

In preparation for a potential future purchase of a 21 Escape and full-time RVing, I'm thinking of mounting solutions for a desktop computer. I have a 21.5" iMac desktop that I am thinking of drilling a hole in the base and a hole in the table and mount the computer to the table with a thumbscrew (or another fastener) to a t-nut installed under the table. This provides a secure mount and will allow me to remove the computer as necessary and leave a relatively smooth surface. I live alone so I don't need to accommodate another occupant. Is this a bad idea?
Old 07-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
How shockproof is the iMac?

I believe my MacBook Air is built for travel and some abuse.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
How shockproof is the iMac? I believe my MacBook Air is built for travel and some abuse.
Your guess is probably better than mine. The reason I still have the iMac is that it was given to me by my daughter and I like it a lot. I don't have a TV or desire one at this point in my life as I watch any movies on the iMac. If I were to change, a large screen MacBook would be on my shortlist but I really like the larger screen of the iMac and may even consider the 27" screen model if this one should ever fail.

FWIW, I kind of like Apple products ever since having a Mac SE in my second run at grad school in the late '80s even though I exclusively used non-Apple products in the workplace since the beginning of business computing time. It was a godsend for me when Microsoft stole Windows from Apple in the distant personal computer past. I would rather open a vein and bleed out than use a DOS machine.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Speaking of Thumbs my rule of thumb is... if you can find a way, always avoid doing something that is not reversible. A piece of thin plywood and some C-clamps come to mind.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Speaking of Thumbs my rule of thumb is... if you can find a way, always avoid doing something that is not reversible. A piece of thin plywood and some C-clamps come to mind.
I have a desktop MAC too and have been considering industrial velcro and adjustable straps from the hardware store.

: )
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
If I were to change, a large screen MacBook would be on my shortlist

There is your answer. Run the desk top and hope that it craps out.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
My MAC is far larger than any laptop computer. Since I'm a big user and can't see as well as I used to....I think I'll keep it.
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
In preparation for a potential future purchase of a 21 Escape and full-time RVing, I'm thinking of mounting solutions for a desktop computer. I have a 21.5" iMac desktop that I am thinking of drilling a hole in the base and a hole in the table and mount the computer to the table with a thumbscrew (or another fastener) to a t-nut installed under the table. This provides a secure mount and will allow me to remove the computer as necessary and leave a relatively smooth surface. I live alone so I don't need to accommodate another occupant. Is this a bad idea?
When we travel, I take a laptop with me and keep it in the truck when moving. A desktop computer has card slots, connections, and hard drives that don't like being bounced.

Seems like every time IT relocated desktops, we had problems show up. That was for short moves - traveling full time, I can only imagine the failure rate for that.

If you want a larger screen, just hook up your monitor to the laptop. A docking station makes that easy.

And if it's a pretty day with a nice breese - wouldn't you rather work on a laptop outside?
Old 07-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yeah, desktop hard drives are fragile and don't like harsh vibration even when spun down. I'd seriously consider replacing any hard drives with SSDs for a mobile 'desktop'....

if I was to rig a desktop style system in my trailer, it would probably be something like a Intel NUC... You can get a DC DC power supply for these that will run on 9-30V inputs, so you could run it on battery. a NUC with a SSD is quite low power, like 15 watts for most of them. I'd use a wireless keyboard/mouse, and mount a 24" or so LCD screen on the "TV" bracket I've never used.

but... I'm totally happy so far with using my tablet 90% of the time I'm on the road, if I needed more, I'd bring my laptop. while my vision isn't what it used to be, my glasses correct my vision to near perfect and I can read tiny type from a decent distance.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
yeah, desktop hard drives are fragile and don't like harsh vibration even when spun down. I'd seriously consider replacing any hard drives with SSDs for a mobile 'desktop'....
I agree, but my guess (and it's only a guess) is that of you open up an iMac you'll find the same little hard drives as used in a typical laptop. But SSD would be better, in any case.

I doubt that many Mac users would consider a platform change (to anything non-Apple) to get more suitable hardware.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
When I bought my Escape I also bought a 21.5" iMac to take along with me on trips, hoping to do Photoshop work while camped. I even found a padded case to hold the computer, figuring I'd set it up upon arrival at a campsite and store it in the case while traveling. I also bought an expensive external drive to use with the iMac.

After my trip to pick up my trailer and the two-month trip home, I gave up on the idea of using an iMac while traveling. It was too much of a hassle to set up / take down, and I had to use the trailer's inverter to power it. The external drive failed, probably due to vibration from being on the road. I sold the iMac and bought a MacBook Pro instead. I was able to find a 12V power supply for the MBP and found that the laptop travels very well. At home I connect it to a larger monitor.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I would love the screen size of an iMac, I used a 17" MacBookPro for a few years without hard drive (or any other) problems. Eventually, I "upgraded" to a 2018 15" core 9 MacBookPro with 32 GB of RAM & a 2 TD solid State Drive. A huge improvement, although I do miss the lost screen real estate.

A warning - once you switch to a solid state drive is is very difficult to go back. The app speed loading is amazing.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #13

Wife and kids gave me this MacBook Air for my 70th birthday. It is so much more capable than I. Has 251 GB SSD.
Of course, I paid for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 12.32.29 PM.png  
Old 07-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #14

You might be able to find a kit that will convert the iMac's stand to a standard VESA mount. If so, then you could use a VESA monitor stand to clamp the iMac to the dinette table. Currently Apple sells a conversion kit that is only for the iMac Pro. Maybe a third-party seller has one that will fit other iMacs.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am one who would never bring a desktop computer, but always a laptop. As others mentioned most desktops are not designed to travel, are heavy and bulky, which may not be an issue for some but is for us. I also love the smaller size for use. I do hook up to a 24" TV for movies, and I guess could for plain computer use, but the TV sees next to no use so is stored away in the back of the closet.

I am planning to do away with the desktop at home too. A good friend with two busy companies did this and uses his laptop alone while on the go or in much of the house. In his home office he does connect two larger screens which is something I love.

Given the power of laptops these days, what would be a reason to use a desktop while travelling with a relatively small trailer?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am one who would never bring a desktop computer, but always a laptop. As others mentioned most desktops are not designed to travel, are heavy and bulky, which may not be an issue for some but is for us. I also love the smaller size for use. I do hook up to a 24" TV for movies, and I guess could for plain computer use, but the TV sees next to no use so is stored away in the back of the closet.

I am planning to do away with the desktop at home too. A good friend with two busy companies did this and uses his laptop alone while on the go or in much of the house. In his home office he does connect two larger screens which is something I love.

Given the power of laptops these days, what would be a reason to use a desktop while travelling with a relatively small trailer?
I haven't had a desktop since my Mac Plus, at least for home. At work, running ProTools, we wanted the biggest & fastest. I do miss the large screen...
Old 07-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I haven't had a desktop since my Mac Plus, at least for home. At work, running ProTools, we wanted the biggest & fastest. I do miss the large screen...
My MacBook Pro will run Apple's old 30-inch monitor, which I did for a few years. It now runs a 27-inch monitor at home. The reason I put my LG television in my trailer is to use it as a computer monitor when I'm not watching TV, as it has an HDMI input. It seems to work alright.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Wife and kids gave me this MacBook Air for my 70th birthday. It is so much more capable than I. Has 251 GB SSD.
Of course, I paid for it.

Congratulations, Glenn. And (a belated) happy birthday!
Old 07-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I doubt that many Mac users would consider a platform change (to anything non-Apple) to get more suitable hardware.
There you go. Perhaps I should have been more specific.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree, but my guess (and it's only a guess) is that of you open up an iMac you'll find the same little hard drives as used in a typical laptop. But SSD would be better, in any case.

Current iMacs are available with up to a 2TB solid state drive. I still wouldn't want one if I was spending any time on the road in a fiberglass trailer.