Locked Out! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #41

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
Laura, house locks won't work because they wouldn't fit the door/frame. That's why this really sucks -- there are very few viable options.

BTW, I did forget to post that when I asked Reace about the Bauer keyless RV locks, he said he wasn't 100% sure but didn't believe they would fit an Escape.

Contemplating a career change, to "lock entrepreneur,"

~e
RVs with flat entry doors have more entry lock designs to choose from. I could be wrong but the Escape's molded door indentation limits lock choices. Will know more once I have the trailer.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
RVs typically have a flush outside door handle, and the usual protruding knob of a building lockset wouldn't be appropriate. Building locksets are designed for much more door thickness than in available in most RVs, including an Escape. Conventional RVs usually have a screen door against the inside face of the door with very little clearance, so a conventional building doorknob would stick out of the door too far.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #43

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
I wasn't clear. I meant RV style locks not limited to the shape of a molded door compared to a flat RV door. If that makes a difference. No house style lock set.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
I wasn't clear. I meant RV style locks not limited to the shape of a molded door compared to a flat RV door. If that makes a difference. No house style lock set.
Yes, that was clear, and I agree that a larger space might open up more options... but it may not help, as good RV locksets are probably rare.

I was responding to Laura's post about house hardware.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:36 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Many locks are too wide for the mere 4" or so width of the recessed lock area.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I wonder if some of these issues are as wide-spread as one might come to believe, from reading forums.
Knock on wood.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:40 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
RVs typically have a flush outside door handle, and the usual protruding knob of a building lockset wouldn't be appropriate. Building locksets are designed for much more door thickness than in available in most RVs, including an Escape. Conventional RVs usually have a screen door against the inside face of the door with very little clearance, so a conventional building doorknob would stick out of the door too far.
Brian true of the lock sets . But on our previous camper door I installed a house deadbolt lock . Felt more secure . However the door was thicker then Escape door . Someone I think on Fiberglass Forum added a better locking system to his trailer by adding wood behind the lock for thickness . He did a real nice job . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I think that Iowa Dave's reminder to check for loose screws, keeping the locks well lubricated and avoiding the deadbolt when outside are the ideas I'm going with. After doing some web searching, an easily obtainable lube that seems to come highly recommended by some locksmiths is TriLube. They say is doesn't get sticky inside the lock, nor attract too much dust.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #49
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Love Trilube; been using it for decades - even back when speedometers had cable drive........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I used to use it on my bike chains, but kinda spendy for that. Being cheap, I've gone with whatever dry lube is on sale at Menards for bike chains and save the TriLube for "special" applications.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #51

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
FYI -- Reace let me know that the Bauer lockset they now use is model BP-8-RV.
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #52

Thanks Elizabeth. I just decided to order one to put in my spare parts -- then I will never need it!

Old 01-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #53

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have had Bauer locks on 2 different truck toppers. We have replaced 2 of the locks and repaired two. I am not sure they are an improvement over the Fastec locks . We installed a piece of 4" PVC pipe to the underside of our trailer. One end of the pipe has a glued on pipe cap and the other end has a clean out fitting with a screw in pipe plug. Inside the pipe is a key lock box containing vehicle , topper and trailer keys. Only needed to use them one time so far .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote