Locked Out! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Locked Out!

All, we just returned from a FABULOUS trip to Killarney Provincial Park, where our Escape performed admirably -- with two exceptions (will post separately about the other). One night, just before our "big night out" (a planned beer+pizza+baseball playoff game at the bar in town), we found that our trailer door would not open. We'd been out for the day, unlocked it, put the keys on their hook inside, shut the door -- and then were unable to get back in. Beer and baseball seemed doomed -- until we figured out that I could crawl up on our bear box (thank you Ontario parks!) and shimmy in our side window, which thankfully was unlocked.

This unwelcome spontaneous locking issue continued to happen through the rest of our trip, intermittently -- though it's not happening now, I'm sure it will again. As long as we have the keys, we're fine ... but ... ??

I did a search for this problem and didn't come up with a thread that matched it. Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, what's the best fix? This is NOT a deadbolt problem -- it's a problem where the door acts like it's been locked at the main keyhole when it hasn't.

Thankful I've done lots of yoga and can contort myself like a pretzel,

Elizabeth
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Locked out

Well those fastec locks, if that's what you have, are not the highest quality I've ever seen in lock sets. The first thing I would do would be to remove the screws that hold the lock together. When you pull it apart you'll see a couple more screws. These need to be reasonably tight and sometimes work loose. If that looks ok, lubricate your lock cylinders and sliding surfaces, if you haven't done so lately. That failing call the fastec people about a couple of new new cylinders they are only a few dollars each, so you know they are not premo cylinders. That's where I would start. Others may have more complete solutions, I like to try free and easy first.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I recently went to unlock my door (main keyhole) and the key turned halfway between the locked and unlocked position and jammed. It wouldn't turn either way. Had to remove the door at the hinges. I replaced the passage set with a chromed one purchased at the nearest RV dealer. I then took a pair of pliers to the key. It bent, but it unjammed and seems to be functioning properly now. Problem is, I don't trust it, and I like the new one better. The manufacturer (Bauer) offered to replace it if I paid the shipping charges ($18). I had some choice words for them, it doesn't cost $18 to send a small, lightweight package from Michigan to Florida. Essentially, they wanted me to pay the shipping to send the defective one back to them. This was a passage set on a trailer I picked up at the beginning of June. IMHO, any company that refuses to replace its 4 month old defective product for no charge is not worthy of having their products purchased. I've heard of others who have had problems with their passage sets.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Is there a higher quality lock set that one can retrofit?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Was your lock one of the recall ones? There was a thread, but I think you may have a Fastec lock. I have to watch when I lock from the inside, as sometimes it doesn't "catch". Other than that, I have not had that issue: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...call-2718.html
Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
With those Fastec locks I guess we all have to keep the "spare keys" - correct size bit to remove the hinges in our tow vehicle.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #7

The key's marked FIC, which I assume is Fastec Industries, and it's not under recall.

Given what I'm reading -- yikes -- I would NOT want to be in a position to have to remove the door to get in. We would have ended up in a hotel that night (with two large dogs) had I not been able to wiggle in the open window -- it was after dark and the closest locksmith was in Sudbury, over an hour away. Dave, I'll try your "free and easy" fix but longer term, I'm very curious what reliable option we could consider replacing with. Anyone done this and been happy with their choice?
Old 10-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Were you able to check the number? Also some put one of those magnetic key boxes on the underside.
Since I have had lost key problems generally, I now keep mine fastened to me on a fancy tether, and jingle a bit.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #9

Fastec locks are used by a lot of manufacturers. They are no better or no worse than others. And taking the door off takes all of 5 minutes, if that. I keep a spare key in the tow vehicle, which has a key pad.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #10

We did stow an extra key.

And per that night -- taking the door off may have taken more than five minutes, given that our car keys, flashlights and key to our storage box, which contained all our tools, were all locked in the trailer .

I'll ask Reace if he has any opinions. I'm curious.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #11

Btw, I did check the number and we aren't under the recall ... Thx for the headsup on that tho, Sandra.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Not clear from the statements if people are talking about the regular lock or the dead bolt. We got locked out on our first trip in 2013 and started a thread which lead into the recall. We NEVER. Lock the dead bolt from the outside only when we are inside. Never have had a problem with the regular lock.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #13

our problem is not with the deadbolt, it's the regular lock which engages without warning.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
our problem is not with the deadbolt, it's the regular lock which engages without warning.
Exactly, so Liz and I agree to this rule. When you are out of the trailer you have a key attached to your person. In the morning as I get dressed I loop the key strap onto my belt and put the key into my pocket.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19'
I installed a lock box like for a house on the vertical post for my spare tire and keep a set of keys in there. I also have a key for my tow vehicle.
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:58 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokol View Post
I installed a lock box like for a house on the vertical post for my spare tire and keep a set of keys in there. I also have a key for my tow vehicle.
How did you install it?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
We did stow an extra key.

And per that night -- taking the door off may have taken more than five minutes, given that our car keys, flashlights and key to our storage box, which contained all our tools, were all locked in the trailer
Sorry E and D.
Not knowing the situation, I simply assumed you had tools in the vehicle rather than the trailer. Having RV'd for many years, I have developed a degree of cynicism that makes me obsessively anticipate problems that may never occur, so I most often have a back up plan. For example, spare keys in the TV, tools and flashlights in both the TV and the trailer, and I always have a full set of keys attached to my belt. Obviously, no one can anticipate every possible thing. I also carry a number of spare parts like a water heater element and an anode. Perhaps overkill on my part!
Old 10-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #18

Given the comments here I don't think it's overkill -- but I do think it's interesting how many of you suggested we be able and willing to remove the door at all times . Imagine if house locks were as finicky! Makes me think I should consider developing a foolproof RV key entry and marketing it. I might make my millions and be able to go on permanent vacation in my reliably unlockable Escape ...
Old 10-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: medora... Bauer RV locks makes a number pad RV lock. That works until you have a "Brain freeze". Happens to me all to often!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
After returning from the Smokies in 2013, my deadbolt would not open, just spin. After thinking about access for several hours, cause I did not want to call a locksmith, here's what I was able to do.
1. Empty passenger side front box
2. Push open under seat access door
3. Insert makeup mirror on the floor and tip so I could see the lock
4. Feed a 4 foot long one inch square wooden stick into the camper
5. Using all of the backwards spacial logic I could muster, pushed the deadbolt to open.
6. Open the door.
7. Wrench right shoulder patting myself on the back.
8. Take Rita to lunch with the money I saved.
Worked for me. Elapsed time about 10 minutes
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote