Long term AC hockup - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #1

Long term AC hockup

We are going to be workcampers for the summer and will be connected to AC power and really do not need battery power.
Should I disconnect the batteries and keep them fully charged
with my battery charger/monitor like I do in the winter or keep it hocked up to the converter and monitor the water in the batteries?

Floyd and Dana
Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0
Re: Long term AC hockup

The last choice is what I do in the winter too. Unless someone has a scientific reason that it's not a good idea?? It's my assumption, that the converter is designed for that kind of use.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Pioneer... All the lights inside our 5.0 are 12V., the radio, & the MaxxFan so if we want lights at night, and air circulation or muzac, we need the battery hooked up. Our water heater is dual fuel so we need 120V as well as propane for it. The TV.& A/C are also 120V. only!!! Under the dinette bench near the water heater is a kill switch that will shut off the battery, as it is now in storage without a power hookup. I too would choose the later option Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

If you plan to be hooked up to A/C for extended lengths of time, I would recommend disconnecting the batteries. It would be worthwhile to connect them to 'top' them up every 3 months. The onboard converter will convert 110V power down to 12V, so everything in the unit will work fine.....just remember to tape of the batt terminals.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
ashleymeadow

Reace, I trust your advise, so I will do that today.

The question in my mind is about the disconnect switch. I thought that swich disconnects the batteries.

AND, what is the taping of the terminals. I don't know what that is all about,

Jerry
Old 01-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
ashleymeadow

Taking this one step further, I would like to learn about the care and feeding of wet-cell batteries such as we have in our generators, tractors, or motorcycles that are stored for long periods of time. I have always thought that a you check the water level and attach a "trickle" charger during the off-season. Is there a battery expert on this forum?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

If your unit is equipped with dual 6V batteries or a battery located inside the unit, it will have a shut-off switch in the seat bench. You don't need to disconnect the battery, simply turn the switch to off. On units that don't have a switch, disconnect the positive wire at the battery and tape it off with some electrical tape to prevent it making contact with any ground.

Unless the battery is a sealed battery 'gel' cell (very expensive, usually an aftermarket install) you should check the fluid levels at least twice a year. When you look in the holes in the top of the battery, the water level should be just at the bottom of the tubes. (If that makes sense) You should not be able the battery plates or fins above the water. Topping the battery with distilled water is optimum, however using plain tap water is fine provided the battery is charged shortly after.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Reace, do you disconnect them to protect them from a malfunction in the converter? Do you know how leaving them hooked up and on, hurts them? 12V systems HAVE to be quite simple, but for some reason, it's not computing (think my hard drive <brain> needs defragmenting). Thanks for the info.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: HokieEscape...Dan I think the danger is "Boiling" the battery dry converter malfunction. My brother did that as he had no charge controller. That means a new one!!! At that point I would spring for a Gel Cell to eliminate the hazzard...and my pocket book too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote