looking for a 21 in Tampa area to view - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: seminole, Florida
Trailer: looking
Posts: 50
looking for a 21 in Tampa area to view

pretty sure I seen a post from someone in Tampa.

we got our 21 on order but need to look at the stairwell. I have a bad leg and I need to install a handrail. just need to study if I can make a mod for the handrail.

ETI has said they won't do it.
__________________

nautracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautracer View Post
pretty sure I seen a post from someone in Tampa.

we got our 21 on order but need to look at the stairwell. I have a bad leg and I need to install a handrail. just need to study if I can make a mod for the handrail.

ETI has said they won't do it.
Camping world and other RV stores sell a fold-out rail to help with the stairs.

Stromberg Carlson Products' Grab Handle : Cabela's

You could also install a double step instead of a single step. I put one on for wifeys' bum knee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg step5.jpg (160.2 KB, 2 views)
__________________

__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: seminole, Florida
Trailer: looking
Posts: 50
thanks Charley. goin up the stairs is easy. my concern about this purchase is the grab rail needed for going Down the steps. I NEED it for balance. and then I am off and limping like a pirate ISO rum! need to ask Reece if he will put a fiberglass encased 2x4 in the door area to stiffen it up enough to install a grab rail just like the one pictured. I will be at ETI in July... but what if Reece is not available....am I SOL? and how much will that mess up the interior. maybe I could get by with a 4x1. it's not like I am using it as a Monkey Bar.
nautracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautracer View Post
thanks Charley. goin up the stairs is easy. my concern about this purchase is the grab rail needed for going Down the steps. I NEED it for balance. and then I am off and limping like a pirate ISO rum! need to ask Reece if he will put a fiberglass encased 2x4 in the door area to stiffen it up enough to install a grab rail just like the one pictured. I will be at ETI in July... but what if Reece is not available....am I SOL? and how much will that mess up the interior. maybe I could get by with a 4x1. it's not like I am using it as a Monkey Bar.
Just give them a call and an email and explain. Since you're pretty far out you might offer to ship them one and they could plan reinforcement if needed; if you've made a deposit they're pretty sure you'll actually buy the rig. Not like you're the only one who might need this addition. I can take some pics on the interior next to the door of our 21 and let you know how much room there is. Might actually work out great as the inner reinforcement would probably fall inside the cabinet with the sink
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,654
John,
In the 21' model there is a pole by the door which I used to exit, sideways, holding on to the pole and then grabbing the outside grab handle, works well for those with bad joints. Those over sized assist bars can be accidentally closed the wrong way and end up blocking the door from opening. I also have used those suction units on the exterior to assist, similar to these
Amazon.com: Moen LR2308W Home Care 12-Inch Suction Balance Assist Bath Grip, Glacier: Home Improvement both inside and outside on the smooth fiberglass.
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 4,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautracer View Post
thanks Charley. goin up the stairs is easy. my concern about this purchase is the grab rail needed for going Down the steps. I NEED it for balance. and then I am off and limping like a pirate ISO rum! need to ask Reece if he will put a fiberglass encased 2x4 in the door area to stiffen it up enough to install a grab rail just like the one pictured. I will be at ETI in July... but what if Reece is not available....am I SOL? and how much will that mess up the interior. maybe I could get by with a 4x1. it's not like I am using it as a Monkey Bar.
You have the standard grab bar on the exterior to left of door.
We added another grab bar just inside the door on the other side.

Photo came out turned around so the grab bar is actually on the other side of the door. It was installed while at pick-up, ordered in advance. No reinforcement needed as far as I know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (180.4 KB, 3 views)
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:00 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
amirie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Posts: 706
A friend of mine with the 15B has a grab handle on the inside of the trailer as well as the outside, she has mobility issues also...
__________________
Anna-Marie
amirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:16 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 1,429
Might I suggest backing out the door. That way the standard handle on the outside could be used to steady oneself. I would also not that I find the steps supplied on most trailers, including Escapes, do not project far enough away from the side of the trailer, leaving 1/3 to 1/2 of my foot hanging over the front edge. Because I did not want to go through the bother or the expense of changing it, we carry a two-step moulded Rubbermaid step stool and use it as an entry step. Fits just inside the door when traveling, is light, and comes in useful for other tasks around the campsite (in my case, climbing into the bed of the truck).
__________________
Carl
2015 F150 2.7 EcoBoost (Big Spot)
2015 5.0TA (Little Elsie)
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: seminole, Florida
Trailer: looking
Posts: 50
sounds good will give ETI a call

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Just give them a call and an email and explain. Since you're pretty far out you might offer to ship them one and they could plan reinforcement if needed; if you've made a deposit they're pretty sure you'll actually buy the rig. Not like you're the only one who might need this addition. I can take some pics on the interior next to the door of our 21 and let you know how much room there is. Might actually work out great as the inner reinforcement would probably fall inside the cabinet with the sink
we have sent them $10k so far. so yes, we pretty serious buyers

thanks very much for the offer for taking pics Charley, I would very much like to view some. we plan to buy our folding hand rail after landing in Seattle. visit the plant and make the request.
nautracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,930
Being such a young fellow, I just dive out head first and do a commando roll to land safely. Not only is it fun, but it also helps me clear the top of the door, and corrects for any misstep heading out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
.... we carry a two-step moulded Rubbermaid step stool and use it as an entry step. Fits just inside the door when traveling, is light, and comes in useful for other tasks around the campsite (in my case, climbing into the bed of the truck).
This sounds like a good idea, not one I feel I need at all for now to get in the trailer (though maybe someday), but for reaching over the sides of the truck it would be nice. I am adding a retractable step to the rear driver corner to help Lisa (okay, and maybe a bit for me to make it easier, and the fact I know I am not getting younger ), but this doesn't help reaching over the sides, and I need at least a single step for reach myself.
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.