looking for a 21 in Tampa area to view - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #1

Trailer: looking
looking for a 21 in Tampa area to view

pretty sure I seen a post from someone in Tampa.

we got our 21 on order but need to look at the stairwell. I have a bad leg and I need to install a handrail. just need to study if I can make a mod for the handrail.

ETI has said they won't do it.
nautracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautracer View Post

we got our 21 on order but need to look at the stairwell. I have a bad leg and I need to install a handrail. just need to study if I can make a mod for the handrail.

Camping world and other RV stores sell a fold-out rail to help with the stairs.

Stromberg Carlson Products' Grab Handle : Cabela's

You could also install a double step instead of a single step. I put one on for wifeys' bum knee.
Attached Thumbnails
step5.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #3

thanks Charley. goin up the stairs is easy. my concern about this purchase is the grab rail needed for going Down the steps. I NEED it for balance. and then I am off and limping like a pirate ISO rum! need to ask Reece if he will put a fiberglass encased 2x4 in the door area to stiffen it up enough to install a grab rail just like the one pictured. I will be at ETI in July... but what if Reece is not available....am I SOL? and how much will that mess up the interior. maybe I could get by with a 4x1. it's not like I am using it as a Monkey Bar.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
thanks Charley. goin up the stairs is easy. my concern about this purchase is the grab rail needed for going Down the steps. I NEED it for balance. and then I am off and limping like a pirate ISO rum! need to ask Reece if he will put a fiberglass encased 2x4 in the door area to stiffen it up enough to install a grab rail just like the one pictured. I will be at ETI in July... but what if Reece is not available....am I SOL? and how much will that mess up the interior. maybe I could get by with a 4x1. it's not like I am using it as a Monkey Bar.
Just give them a call and an email and explain. Since you're pretty far out you might offer to ship them one and they could plan reinforcement if needed; if you've made a deposit they're pretty sure you'll actually buy the rig. Not like you're the only one who might need this addition. I can take some pics on the interior next to the door of our 21 and let you know how much room there is. Might actually work out great as the inner reinforcement would probably fall inside the cabinet with the sink

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
John,
In the 21' model there is a pole by the door which I used to exit, sideways, holding on to the pole and then grabbing the outside grab handle, works well for those with bad joints. Those over sized assist bars can be accidentally closed the wrong way and end up blocking the door from opening. I also have used those suction units on the exterior to assist, similar to these
Amazon.com: Moen LR2308W Home Care 12-Inch Suction Balance Assist Bath Grip, Glacier: Home Improvement both inside and outside on the smooth fiberglass.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
You have the standard grab bar on the exterior to left of door.
We added another grab bar just inside the door on the other side.

Photo came out turned around so the grab bar is actually on the other side of the door. It was installed while at pick-up, ordered in advance. No reinforcement needed as far as I know.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
A friend of mine with the 15B has a grab handle on the inside of the trailer as well as the outside, she has mobility issues also...
Old 04-10-2016, 04:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Might I suggest backing out the door. That way the standard handle on the outside could be used to steady oneself. I would also not that I find the steps supplied on most trailers, including Escapes, do not project far enough away from the side of the trailer, leaving 1/3 to 1/2 of my foot hanging over the front edge. Because I did not want to go through the bother or the expense of changing it, we carry a two-step moulded Rubbermaid step stool and use it as an entry step. Fits just inside the door when traveling, is light, and comes in useful for other tasks around the campsite (in my case, climbing into the bed of the truck).
Old 04-10-2016, 07:12 AM   #9

sounds good will give ETI a call

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Just give them a call and an email and explain. Since you're pretty far out you might offer to ship them one and they could plan reinforcement if needed; if you've made a deposit they're pretty sure you'll actually buy the rig. Not like you're the only one who might need this addition. I can take some pics on the interior next to the door of our 21 and let you know how much room there is. Might actually work out great as the inner reinforcement would probably fall inside the cabinet with the sink
we have sent them $10k so far. so yes, we pretty serious buyers

thanks very much for the offer for taking pics Charley, I would very much like to view some. we plan to buy our folding hand rail after landing in Seattle. visit the plant and make the request.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Being such a young fellow, I just dive out head first and do a commando roll to land safely. Not only is it fun, but it also helps me clear the top of the door, and corrects for any misstep heading out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
.... we carry a two-step moulded Rubbermaid step stool and use it as an entry step. Fits just inside the door when traveling, is light, and comes in useful for other tasks around the campsite (in my case, climbing into the bed of the truck).
This sounds like a good idea, not one I feel I need at all for now to get in the trailer (though maybe someday), but for reaching over the sides of the truck it would be nice. I am adding a retractable step to the rear driver corner to help Lisa (okay, and maybe a bit for me to make it easier, and the fact I know I am not getting younger ), but this doesn't help reaching over the sides, and I need at least a single step for reach myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:

Brewer 2-step heavy duty step stool might be helpful! Google "folding step stool with handrail", it's the first image that shows up.
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #12

thanks to all

my thanks go out to all who chimed in on this thread. I am convinced that my aftermarket handle will be able to tie into the same framing stud as the stock handle. this pic is how our campsites look after staying in one place too long. we were waiting to find a house at the St Pete Koa in Florida. mainly to show the folding handle. wayy in the background.. I should have taken it off before I sold "bear". ha!