Looking for help/suggestions for a new Full size mattress - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Looking for help/suggestions for a new Full size mattress

We have been camping in our 2018 Escape 17B for about 6 weeks in 2 week increments this summer and fall and have been bothered by the sleeping set up. The cushions for the double dinette are horrible for our backs when we sleep on them. We also got a 2" memory foam topper from Target to put on top - that didn't help the sore backs. We put our Thermarest camp pads on top of the cushions and that didn't help our aching backs, either.
I looked online for RV mattresses and couldn't find the right size and also they seemed like they were not great. I couldn't find any that were made with springs, most were foam.

The bed measures about 50" x 74", allowing for space to get your fingers in to make up the bed. Its almost a Full size. We like a firm bed. I am worried about the complaints from folks on mold growing under the bed next to the wood of the dinette.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good mattress for us old folks with sensitive backs? Suggestions that won't break the bank would be even better.
Thanks everyone!
Old 10-15-2018, 05:57 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Can't say about where you are, but we have a local mattress manufacturer, Yankee Mattress, that will custom build a mattress, as in make it fit the trailer. They ask that you bring the trailer in so they can measure it. I haven't pursued it as my trailer takes a regular queen. Might be you have someone similar in the area. Don't imagine it'd be cheap.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Humm, you're going up (the wrong direction). The more stuff you add, the less firm the base. I AM a firm mattress sleeper. The best sleep I've gotten is a sleeping bag right on top of a concrete pad! I didn't get a mattress in Ten Forward and for several years slept on an tight air bed right on the carpet. I'm changing that to a slat bed (used it for 51 nights recently). I'm also using a 3-1/2" firm foam mattress (from Ikea) on the slats. So far, the comfort is working fine.

I wish you well. Sleeping comfortably is the first important thing about trailer ownership... YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You weren't in the Marines were you Donna?
Old 10-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I second what Bob said, find a shop near you that makes mattresses. I know in Calgary we have a couple that make great foam mattresses. You can pick your densities in the layers. I like a latex foam top, a memory foam (or medium density foam) for a mid layer, and a medium-firm bottom layer. about 2"/2"/4". You can specify an exact size and radius of the corners. Do leave a full inch around the 3 exterior walls. In CAD a queen costs around $1k, so a full size would be less. In USD I imagine it would be much less yet.

Another option is to buy a foam mattress you like, buy a used electric carving knife, and you can cut it to the size you want. A mattress shop will usually supply you with a cover, with this option you would have to make your own.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
These guys are about 4 hours from you in Littleton. Custom size firm coil mattress available.
https://www.mattressinsider.com/inne...-mattress.html

I would put this underneath.
https://www.mattressinsider.com/matt...revention.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleinAirCedar View Post
We have been camping in our 2018 Escape 17B for about 6 weeks in 2 week increments this summer and fall and have been bothered by the sleeping set up. The cushions for the double dinette are horrible for our backs when we sleep on them. We also got a 2" memory foam topper from Target to put on top - that didn't help the sore backs. We put our Thermarest camp pads on top of the cushions and that didn't help our aching backs, either.
I looked online for RV mattresses and couldn't find the right size and also they seemed like they were not great. I couldn't find any that were made with springs, most were foam.

The bed measures about 50" x 74", allowing for space to get your fingers in to make up the bed. Its almost a Full size. We like a firm bed. I am worried about the complaints from folks on mold growing under the bed next to the wood of the dinette.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good mattress for us old folks with sensitive backs? Suggestions that won't break the bank would be even better.
Thanks everyone!
Just to be clear, you want a permanent mattress, which means you will lose your ability to (easily) make your big table into a table, right?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I put the 8” spa sensations in my 17b the last year I had it. Loved the mattress and very easy to custom fit with an electric knife and about 30 minutes. Much cheaper and quick solution. If you are going to do a lot of cold weather you can get the gel version for a bit more. Who doesnt have a Walmart close.....
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensa...Sizes/12542630
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
I agree that the standard cushions are not the best sleeping for anything longer than a night or two.

I purchased a 6” foam mattress from Foamfactory.com and it has been wonderful.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #10

Greg A: We actually don't have a Walmart close by. Its 40 miles away. That's okay with me. I don't go there, always have very bad luck with cheap stuff from them. But its a good suggestion and I'll look into it. Thanks for the reply,
Old 10-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Can't say about where you are, but we have a local mattress manufacturer, Yankee Mattress, that will custom build a mattress, as in make it fit the trailer. They ask that you bring the trailer in so they can measure it. I haven't pursued it as my trailer takes a regular queen. Might be you have someone similar in the area. Don't imagine it'd be cheap.
Hello Bob,
We are in rural western Colorado with pretty much nothing near by. Not a bad thing, but makes it a challenge to get most things. I'll look around for a mattress store, though, in Grand Junction, about 75 miles from us.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:

Thanks everyone!
We had a local mattress company custom cut latex (natural rubber) into a mattress on our last trailer. It was about 4" and absolutely wonderful. With the Escape 19 we lucked into finding a queen size natural latex while we were on our trip -- though they are expensive - we got a serious mark down on a 6 inch. I was having really bad back pain as well with the mattress provided. We were so glad to find one on the trip as the back pain went away that first night and the mattress is so incredibly comfortable. Of course regular foam can be good too, and less expensive, but I also like the lack of fumes from the latex rubber.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:29 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Look for a 3/4 mattress. I had one made for an old antique bed I had, and later stole it for my Campster. It was a foam mattress and very comfortable. 3/4 is 48 x 75.

I'm using a trifold mattress now, 52 x73, but it is memory foam.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:

Thanks everyone!
I've never found a "topper" that was comfortable. If it were me, I'd order a firm gel memory foam mattress from Amazon - a full size like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Modway-Avelin...Bmattress&th=1

Just over $200, and at 53x75 can easily be trimmed with an electric knife to fit your 50x74 space. We sleep extremely well with one similar to it in our 19. As for "mold" growing, that would only be caused by condensation. An easy fix is to place some coarse mesh material under the mattress to provide an air gap.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I've never found a "topper" that was comfortable. If it were me, I'd order a firm gel memory foam mattress from Amazon - a full size like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Modway-Avelin...Bmattress&th=1

Just over $200, and at 53x75 can easily be trimmed with an electric knife to fit your 50x74 space. We sleep extremely well with one similar to it in our 19. As for "mold" growing, that would only be caused by condensation. An easy fix is to place some coarse mesh material under the mattress to provide an air gap.
If you winter camp, make sure the gel mattress in one that doesn't turn to rock when cold. Some do, some don't.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:48 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you winter camp, make sure the gel mattress in one that doesn't turn to rock when cold. Some do, some don't.
Yeah, I bought a memory foam mattress years ago, rock hard in the winter and sweltering hot in the summer. Great for shoulder seasons though.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #17

rubicon327: I ordered a Sedona 5.5" mattress from Mattress Insider
https://www.mattressinsider.com/deluxe-rv-mattress.html
And the moisture barrier.

We're tired of fooling around with cheap, rock-hard (when its cool or cold out) foam mattresses. The sales person said that it doesn't get hard like the gel mattresses. So I ordered it. Thanks for your suggestions!

Tags
escape mattress, full bed mattress, full rv mattress, rv mattress