major leak behind the shower - HELP - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19
major leak behind the shower - HELP

Setting up our 2015 19' for the summer, and starting the pump for the first time discovered water leaking on the floor from below the closet. Could hear major water behind the closet. Turned off the pump and got the water stopped, but cannot figure out how to access the plumbing behind the shower. the problem is at the point of the shower faucet, but not clear way to get to it.

Any suggestions

Trailer was stored inside at a large storage facility for the whole of the winter. No sign of rodents.

All suggestions welcome.

bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I cut out and installed a door to create more storage space under the furnace so I have a clear view of where the water lines are.

You can see the red, hot water line has a pex crimp 90* fitting and goes vertical up to the taps.

You can see the blue, cold water line has a pex tee and it also feeds the taps and continues on to the toilet.

My guess is that a pex crimp has failed.

At any rate, if you have to open up the area you can buy a door from ETI and have some very handy extra storage space.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0008_resize.JPG (388.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0009_resize.JPG (347.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 27-11-2014 4-07-22 PM9_resize.jpg (156.1 KB, 72 views)

Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Do you have the exterior shower option? It normally is installed on the driver's side and the back of it can be seen inside the closet. Then lines should go to the sink right next door. Any of these places may have a busted water connection due to freezing. Did you winterize the trailer with antifreeze.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Before you cut open that area and add a door like Ron and I did I suggest opening the closet and removing the closet bottom. That is a panel stapled down and can possibly expose the water lines. I did it in my 19 when I was running new electrical lines. Should let you see better what's going on before doing anything drastic.

Ended up cutting a new door opening below to finish my wires run, and made my own door, seen here. -- Oops, I just realized the furnace would then be exposed probably blocking view of the lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabdoor.jpg (92.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 05-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape-21
Just a thought

I don't have a E-19 but from the pictures why not just pull the furnace to inspect things . You may be able to repair the leak without cutting a new door opening through the furnace opening.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #6

That's what I ended up doing. Fair warning, though, that pushing the furnace back into place is very tricky because the exhaust vent must nest into the plate attached to the exterior shell and a very snug fit, in my case it was a bear jamming it in there. Must also be very careful about the electrical connections to the furnace. Fact is, I ended up cutting the new door opening not because I needed another storage space but to help me reach in and get the furnace pushed back into place.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Fact is, I ended up cutting the new door opening not because I needed another storage space but to help me reach in and get the furnace pushed back into place.
Yes I remember that Myron. That's a win- win though because now you have extra storage to boot.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
When you cut that hole below furnace for storage, is there anything on the inside that needs to be moved before you can add a door and use it?
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
When you cut that hole below furnace for storage, is there anything on the inside that needs to be moved before you can add a door and use it?
On ours we also moved the propane alarm to other side of kitchen cabinet . There was a couple of wires that just needed lengthening and we made a false floor to cover them up .pretty easy mod to make and well worth it . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #10

I moved nothing, but I had to glue up support framing around the inside of the cut opening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg furnace.jpg (111.1 KB, 58 views)

Tags
shower leak