major leak behind the shower - HELP - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
major leak behind the shower - HELP

Setting up our 2015 19' for the summer, and starting the pump for the first time discovered water leaking on the floor from below the closet. Could hear major water behind the closet. Turned off the pump and got the water stopped, but cannot figure out how to access the plumbing behind the shower. the problem is at the point of the shower faucet, but not clear way to get to it.

Any suggestions

Trailer was stored inside at a large storage facility for the whole of the winter. No sign of rodents.

All suggestions welcome.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I cut out and installed a door to create more storage space under the furnace so I have a clear view of where the water lines are.

You can see the red, hot water line has a pex crimp 90* fitting and goes vertical up to the taps.

You can see the blue, cold water line has a pex tee and it also feeds the taps and continues on to the toilet.

My guess is that a pex crimp has failed.

At any rate, if you have to open up the area you can buy a door from ETI and have some very handy extra storage space.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0008_resize.JPG   IMGP0009_resize.JPG   27-11-2014 4-07-22 PM9_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Do you have the exterior shower option? It normally is installed on the driver's side and the back of it can be seen inside the closet. Then lines should go to the sink right next door. Any of these places may have a busted water connection due to freezing. Did you winterize the trailer with antifreeze.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Before you cut open that area and add a door like Ron and I did I suggest opening the closet and removing the closet bottom. That is a panel stapled down and can possibly expose the water lines. I did it in my 19 when I was running new electrical lines. Should let you see better what's going on before doing anything drastic.

Ended up cutting a new door opening below to finish my wires run, and made my own door, seen here. -- Oops, I just realized the furnace would then be exposed probably blocking view of the lines.
Attached Thumbnails
cabdoor.jpg  
Old 05-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Just a thought

I don't have a E-19 but from the pictures why not just pull the furnace to inspect things . You may be able to repair the leak without cutting a new door opening through the furnace opening.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #6

That's what I ended up doing. Fair warning, though, that pushing the furnace back into place is very tricky because the exhaust vent must nest into the plate attached to the exterior shell and a very snug fit, in my case it was a bear jamming it in there. Must also be very careful about the electrical connections to the furnace. Fact is, I ended up cutting the new door opening not because I needed another storage space but to help me reach in and get the furnace pushed back into place.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Fact is, I ended up cutting the new door opening not because I needed another storage space but to help me reach in and get the furnace pushed back into place.
Yes I remember that Myron. That's a win- win though because now you have extra storage to boot.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #8

Trailer: Looking for 15b
When you cut that hole below furnace for storage, is there anything on the inside that needs to be moved before you can add a door and use it?
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
When you cut that hole below furnace for storage, is there anything on the inside that needs to be moved before you can add a door and use it?
On ours we also moved the propane alarm to other side of kitchen cabinet . There was a couple of wires that just needed lengthening and we made a false floor to cover them up .pretty easy mod to make and well worth it . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #10

I moved nothing, but I had to glue up support framing around the inside of the cut opening.
Attached Thumbnails
furnace.jpg  
Old 05-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #11

Support framing...
Attached Thumbnails
furnace2.jpg  
Old 05-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Nothing to move, but I had to glue up support framing around the inside of the framing.
Yup forgot about glueing some support framing for the ply . Pat
Old 05-06-2018, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Nothing on the inside. The vertical propane line isn't a problem unless you wanted to open up the cabinet beside by removing the back etc. and make one big space. In that case one person did relocate it.

This is what you see when you've cut the opening.

The wires are for the CO detector. It was a simple relocate to the other side.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
23-11-2014 3-49-26 PM2_resize.JPG   27-11-2014 4-07-17 PM5_resize.JPG  
Old 05-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Yup forgot about glueing some support framing for the ply . Pat
A few finished photo's of ours . You see the process with Myron's and Ron's photo's . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0347.jpg   IMG_0349.jpg   IMG_0350.jpg  
Old 05-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #15

I might have done that, Ron, Pat, but at the time I was just totally freaked out with getting that furnace back in place. Oh, when the job was finally done I used the new cubby to store my hiking boots. Haven't gone hiking since.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #16

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Thank you, all the info and pics are very helpful.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
A few finished photo's of ours . You see the process with Myron's and Ron's photo's . Pat
You went the deluxe route with carpet on the "floor". Actually it's a false floor that allows for the unused wires to stay in place in case they're needed for something in the future.

Myron isn't the only one who has had a bit of a struggle to get the furnace back in place. Personally, I'd rather have the extra storage space than risk a struggle with the furnace.

I'm betting the problem is a pex connection but either way, a connection or hose problem there theoretically there is a way to by-pass it if it's the hot water line. Not the cold water because it has to continue on. There is a clear space behind the cabinet work. I've snaked lots of wires from the rear to the front using that space. It should be possible to snake a hot water line up to replace the current one but that might be more trouble than it's worth.

Ron
Old 05-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #18

Well this whole business has got me totally aroused so I just went out and removed the bottom panel from my closet. (Was easy since it was screwed down using furring strips from when I ripped it out to gain furnace alignment access.)

Check out them pipes to and from the bathroom!
Attached Thumbnails
closet1.jpg  
Old 05-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Well this whole business has got me totally aroused so I just went out and removed the bottom panel from my closet. (Was easy since it was screwed down using furring strips from when I ripped it out to gain furnace alignment access.)

Check out them pipes to and from the bathroom!
Um, OK. Were you planning to improve something or just fishing?
Old 05-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #20

Rybbby... Since back then I never satisfactorially re-installed the furnace - its face flat refused to close up the last quarter inch to the paneling, no matter how much I wailed on it with a 16 pounder - the face plate never screwed tight to the wall --Now I probably can wiggle that back end so it properly seats into the receiving exterior vent. If I ever do have a flood back there at least now I know there won't be any panicky troubleshooting.

Tags
shower leak