Making water connection safer-easier - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2018, 12:02 AM   #21

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
... It was nice to have water about any time of the year especially when we used to flood the ground ice rinks. We always used the 60 inch bury size in the Y-1 model. Iowa Dave
My apologies, but here comes another "growing up in Colorado" memory. We had a creek meandering through our ranch where we over-wintered about 100 head of brood beef cows, and one of the daily winter chores was walking the creek to make sure there were open places where they could drink water from the creek. If the creek was completely frozen over, then we'd take an ax and chop numerous holes through the ice, often 6-10" thick for them to drink from (note: you don't want to slip on ice while wielding an ax!). One winter the water froze out of the banks of the creek before it got to our ranch, so the creek was dry, and we had to hand pump water from an old hand-dug, rock-lined well in one of the corrals morning and night until all 100 head had had their fill of water. You can build up a lot of arm muscles and sing a lot of country-western songs while standing out in the cold hand-pumping water for hours. And after doing that for about a month until the water came back down the creek, installing a water line to the corral buried four feet deep with a frost-free faucet became a HIGH priority! And wouldn't you know, after installing that faucet, the creek never ran dry in the winter again. Such is life, and such are the memories of my youth....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:03 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Whiskey or whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Sorry for my in attention. When you mentioned Woodford, my mind drifted:https://www.google.com/search?q=wood...lfoAMG5dMhqJM:
Woodford reserve is a real nice bourbon. It’s sometimes hard for me to justify paying the price of some spirits I see in the shelf but this is a very good bottle and not outrageously priced. There are also some other lesser and similarly priced whiskies which are very good too. Canadians Forty Creek and Crown Royal, U.S made Makers Mark, Wild Turkey, Cedar Ridge and many others all get the call as sipping whiskey or whisky in Canada. One of my “go to coffee” friends appreciates fine whiskey, another is good with a couple steps above gasoline. Reminds him of his dad and being poor he says. None of us can drink like we used to and but we do get birthday cards from our liver.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
We've not had the pleasure of staying at such a ritzy camp ground that they use that new-fangled glitzy plastic pipe. Every place we've stayed so far has those old-fashioned, passe steel freeze-proof yard faucets.
Where I've been, proper freeze-proof hydrants are used only in campgrounds (usually called "RV Parks") that stay open through the winter. Most campgrounds close before freeze-up.

Quote:
And there has always been a seemingly safe distance between water and electricity - so far, anyway!
While that makes sense, I think the majority of campgrounds that I have seen put the water and power on the same post - either a simple wooden post or a pedestal designed for the purpose.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Where I've been, proper freeze-proof hydrants are used only in campgrounds (usually called "RV Parks") that stay open through the winter. Most campgrounds close before freeze-up.
While that makes sense, I think the majority of campgrounds that I have seen put the water and power on the same post - either a simple wooden post or a pedestal designed for the purpose.
Although "Alabama" and "Alberta" are close alphabetically, they appear to be worlds apart in regard to campsites. I like the looks of those Eaton "all-in-one" pedestals, but I've never seen anything that nice in the State Parks and Corp of Engineers campgrounds where we routinely stay down here. Perhaps it's just a budget thing or the difference between private and pubic. Down here, full hook-up is often a water hydrant in the back corner (often a frost-proof yard faucet, not so much because we have hard freezes down here, but to get the faucet control elevated where older people with bad backs don't have to bend over so far), then about 4 feet toward the road from there, there will be an electrical post (15A, 30A, 50A receptacles), then about 4 more feet further toward the road a sewage dump pipe. Another contrast, our parks and campgrounds seldom close in the Winter and are often packed full with "snowbirds" from the North who flock South for the Winter and who rent campsites by the month (for three or four months). When capacity booking becomes a problem, many parks will save back a handful of daily "walk-up" sites just to make sure there are at least a few sites remaining for local patrons who are simply looking for a weekend outing or for those who are just passing through.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
My apologies, but here comes another "growing up in Colorado" memory. We had a creek meandering through our ranch where we over-wintered about 100 head of brood beef cows, and one of the daily winter chores was walking the creek to make sure there were open places where they could drink water from the creek. If the creek was completely frozen over, then we'd take an ax and chop numerous holes through the ice, often 6-10" thick for them to drink from (note: you don't want to slip on ice while wielding an ax!). One winter the water froze out of the banks of the creek before it got to our ranch, so the creek was dry, and we had to hand pump water from an old hand-dug, rock-lined well in one of the corrals morning and night until all 100 head had had their fill of water. You can build up a lot of arm muscles and sing a lot of country-western songs while standing out in the cold hand-pumping water for hours. And after doing that for about a month until the water came back down the creek, installing a water line to the corral buried four feet deep with a frost-free faucet became a HIGH priority! And wouldn't you know, after installing that faucet, the creek never ran dry in the winter again. Such is life, and such are the memories of my youth....

Never done that, thankful much for missing that experience, but I think I have a sense of how much water 100 head would drink. Good grief, arm muscles is right.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Although "Alabama" and "Alberta" are close alphabetically, they appear to be worlds apart in regard to campsites.

But they're more similar than you might think...
Quote:
I like the looks of those Eaton "all-in-one" pedestals, but I've never seen anything that nice in the State Parks and Corp of Engineers campgrounds where we routinely stay down here. Perhaps it's just a budget thing or the difference between private and pubic.
Same thing here - the nice pedestals are only common in fancy RV parks, not provincial park campgrounds or even average private campgrounds. The water pipe strapped to a post - the same one as the power receptacle - is pretty typical... and it would be bad to hang a water filter from it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
But they're more similar than you might think...
Same thing here - the nice pedestals are only common in fancy RV parks, not provincial park campgrounds or even average private campgrounds. The water pipe strapped to a post - the same one as the power receptacle - is pretty typical... and it would be bad to hang a water filter from it.
It is what it is, but I'm still not sure I like the idea of a pressurized water source being that close to electricity. Seems like an untimely split in an aging water hose could cause a hair-raising event - Murphy's Law being what it is, and all!
Old 09-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
Sounds like a very well-spent youth to me!
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
It is what it is, but I'm still not sure I like the idea of a pressurized water source being that close to electricity. Seems like an untimely split in an aging water hose could cause a hair-raising event - Murphy's Law being what it is, and all!
These circumstances require a GFCI outlet if codes were adhered to, but one takes their chances, at least your on board Progressive should protect.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
These circumstances require a GFCI outlet if codes were adhered to, but one takes their chances, at least your on board Progressive should protect.
Protect the camper, yes. But what about me - wandering out into the dark, standing in water, wondering where all this water under the electrical breaker is coming from. Yikes! (Note: no one was hurt in this dramatization. Had this been an actual event, I would have asked someone else to check on it. )
Old 09-14-2018, 06:53 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 21' Escape
We use and like this guy's products:
RVH2O - KwikLink, Home Page
Our only threaded connection during setup is at the pedestal. And, we use a different water filter than most folks because I'm super picky about water taste...
I will try to post a couple of pictures later showing it on the outside of our 21 and how we use the KwikLinks for our water filter.
desertvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote