Massachusetts EZ-Pass - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 08:04 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
It's simple. Though I'm rarely "up north," I do have an EZ Pass from NH, where I was a resident for several years. I also have a Sunpass for use in Florida. If and when they can all talk to eachother, I will consolidate.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:40 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
It's simple. Though I'm rarely "up north," I do have an EZ Pass from NH, where I was a resident for several years. I also have a Sunpass for use in Florida. If and when they can all talk to eachother, I will consolidate.
Hi: C&G in FL... I don't have a Mass Pass or a 407ETR transponder. The only pass I have clearly states "Do not pass Go... Do not collect $200.00". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:11 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: C&G in FL... I don't have a Mass Pass or a 407ETR transponder. The only pass I have clearly states "Do not pass Go... Do not collect $200.00". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
..........Just don't drive on "Park" Avenue.............

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
UniPass

Old thread but I had two free MA EZ-passes when I had our single axle Scamp (one 2 axle, and the other 3 axle). When I bought the Escape 19 I had to get another MA pass for 4 axle. (They gave me the option of paying to have the 2 axle transponder sent back for reprogramming, or get a new 4 axle transponder for free )
Last month we took a trip up North through MI, OH, PA, NY, VT, DE and VA. As we approached the toll roads I pulled out our 4 axle pass for the Escape, except I only had the 2 axle and 3 axle transponders in the car!
Fortunately all the toll roads charged us the correct 4 axle rate even though we only had the 3 axle transponder with us, so no fraud charges coming down the road. We didn't drive through MA this trip, so no idea if MA would have correctly read the extra axle or not.
On another note, I decided to just go with a single pass for both our NE travels, and our FL travels and get rid of the three MA passes and two FL sun passes.
Ordered a $14.95 UniPass yesterday (no monthly charges), it arrived today, but when I registered online, it only gave me the option to add one vehicle (unlike MA that allowed me to add multiple license plates to each pass). I have an email in to them to find out if I can add more vehicles, or just need to go online and change vehicle info depending on which one I use that day. If I can't add more than one license plate at a time I also posed the question of whether I should use the trailer license plate, or TV plate if only one can be listed.
Has anyone activated a UniPass yet and know the answer?
Old 10-31-2021, 03:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
For the last 10 years +/-, I've had a PA EZ-Pass, at the time I got it MA wanted $30 for theirs, PA was $3.

Since MA changed over to highspeed tolls and the post the $, I wanted to swap to MA, it's also free now.

Got 2 transponders, one for the truck, one for the car. Called them this am to have the trailer added to the truck, here's what I was told.

They have to add another transponder to the truck so I'd have 2. Put up the one with that the trailer is on for those times I'm towing, put up the non trailer one for when I'm not. You of course have to put the unused transponder in it's foil lined bag when not in use or you'll get charged for both. I was told failure to do so will result in a fine in those states, like NY, that require the one with the trailer on it.

This is hair brained to say the least, I've been fine with just the one transponder from PA for all these years.

I'm returning the MA one and keeping the PA one, I'll pay the higher toll the few times I take the Pike.

Would be interested in hearing from any other MA residents to see how you manage it.
I have the MA EZ Pass and the first problem was getting the right one for the truck...Vermont uses Truck plates which MA considers Commercial, so they finally figured out they needed to send me a commercial MA EZ pass(no additional costs for transponder or tolls from a car one) and I asked about when I was towing the trailer...NO PROBLEM they said we just need that plate and we will register it and you are all set! So far so good anywhere that the EZ Pass works. I understand that the Sun pass and EZ pass will work together soon.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:27 PM   #26

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Update on Universal UniPass

I got my UniPass earlier this week that allows one pass to traverse FL toll roads as well as another 19 states that use the EzPass system.
When I activated it on line, the site only allowed entering one vehicle and tag number. I finally heard back from the folks at UniPass and this is what they told me.

First, you need to call them and provide the tag number for any trailers you might tow. I have two trailers, so they added the tag numbers for those two trailers to my transponder account.

Second, you have two options when using the UniPass. Option one is to have a separate transponder for each vehicle you drive and register them separately. The transponders cost $14.95 each with no annual fee, so that might be easier than the second option.

The second option is to just have one UniPass and switch it to whichever vehicle you are driving as long as it's the same class. All my driving vehicles are the same class (two axle) so I can do that. The only issue with that option is that you have to go to their website, or use their app, to update which vehicle you are driving at the time. As long as I remember to do that whenever I switch vehicles I'll be OK. When you pull a trailer, the readers will count your axles and as long as they have a record of your trailer tag you shouldn't get double billed (one bill for UniPass and the other for toll by plate)

When I did a search on the forum for UniPass I didn't find anything so I think I'll start a separate thread so others looking for info about the UniPass can find it,
Old 11-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Illinois, part of the EZ Pass system offers open road tolling. This means you do not need to slow for a toll booth but pass at highway speed. They do not require any special passes for vehicles towing a trailer. The reason is, they have sensors that count the number of axles and bill the account accordingly.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Illinois, part of the EZ Pass system offers open road tolling. This means you do not need to slow for a toll booth but pass at highway speed. They do not require any special passes for vehicles towing a trailer. The reason is, they have sensors that count the number of axles and bill the account accordingly.
Same here in Pennsylvania.......