Massachusetts EZ-Pass - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Massachusetts EZ-Pass

For the last 10 years +/-, I've had a PA EZ-Pass, at the time I got it MA wanted $30 for theirs, PA was $3.

Since MA changed over to highspeed tolls and the post the $, I wanted to swap to MA, it's also free now.

Got 2 transponders, one for the truck, one for the car. Called them this am to have the trailer added to the truck, here's what I was told.

They have to add another transponder to the truck so I'd have 2. Put up the one with that the trailer is on for those times I'm towing, put up the non trailer one for when I'm not. You of course have to put the unused transponder in it's foil lined bag when not in use or you'll get charged for both. I was told failure to do so will result in a fine in those states, like NY, that require the one with the trailer on it.

This is hair brained to say the least, I've been fine with just the one transponder from PA for all these years.

I'm returning the MA one and keeping the PA one, I'll pay the higher toll the few times I take the Pike.

Would be interested in hearing from any other MA residents to see how you manage it.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #2

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
For the last 10 years +/-, I've had a PA EZ-Pass, at the time I got it MA wanted $30 for theirs, PA was $3.

Since MA changed over to highspeed tolls and the post the $, I wanted to swap to MA, it's also free now.

Got 2 transponders, one for the truck, one for the car. Called them this am to have the trailer added to the truck, here's what I was told.

They have to add another transponder to the truck so I'd have 2. Put up the one with that the trailer is on for those times I'm towing, put up the non trailer one for when I'm not. You of course have to put the unused transponder in it's foil lined bag when not in use or you'll get charged for both. I was told failure to do so will result in a fine in those states, like NY, that require the one with the trailer on it.

This is hair brained to say the least, I've been fine with just the one transponder from PA for all these years.

I'm returning the MA one and keeping the PA one, I'll pay the higher toll the few times I take the Pike.

Would be interested in hearing from any other MA residents to see how you manage it.

It will be nice if they ever get all the toll systems setup to talk to each other. Right now my Sun Pass recognizes Georgia's and North Carolina's but not the EZ pass or South Carolina's . Supposedly by next year mine will work with most of the southern states.
They were all supposed to talk to each other Nationwide by October 1st of this year.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:18 PM   #3

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

Interesting! In Houston, they gave me an RFID for the trailer but said not to use it. They told me their equipment counts my axles and they'll only charge me for the trailer when I had the extra axle. When I get the new trailer, I'll have to get a new card or maybe they'll change the number of axles registered to the old card.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
We got the two MA transponders in 2011, free at that time, when we got the Scamp single axle 5th-wheel. We have to remember to switch and keep the other in the bag. So far no problems with this system. We switched to the Escape 5.0TA and never told anyone and still no problems. We did notify them electronically when we switched trucks, but still haven't told them anything about the dual vs. single axles.
We're not crazy about FL with their separate system and just avoid their toll roads.
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
A bit off topic but we avoid all toll roads. It's double taxation at best, crony capitalism at worst, and in most places about 80 percent of revenue goes to the toll operator. Worst of all, government institutes the toll roads for the most part without the consent of the people. No thanks.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
A bit off topic but we avoid all toll roads. It's double taxation at best, crony capitalism at worst, and in most places about 80 percent of revenue goes to the toll operator. Worst of all, government institutes the toll roads for the most part without the consent of the people. No thanks.
I agree and avoid them if possible, but, sometimes they are the only game in town or they cut travel time dramatically, then I consider them.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #7

Same as Jim, I avoid most toll roads, but it's not always possible. Trying to get around the Mass Pike, the main east/west route, is a very slow undertaking.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&R_MA View Post
We got the two MA transponders in 2011, free at that time, when we got the Scamp single axle 5th-wheel. We have to remember to switch and keep the other in the bag. So far no problems with this system. We switched to the Escape 5.0TA and never told anyone and still no problems. We did notify them electronically when we switched trucks, but still haven't told them anything about the dual vs. single axles.
We're not crazy about FL with their separate system and just avoid their toll roads.
I get the idea MA isn't counting axles, there would be no need for 2 transponders if they did.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #9

I'm confused, why 2 readers, one in tug and one in trailer? Do you think the 18 wheelers have one in the cab and one in the trailer? I just got my bill paid for the Mass Turnpike, $3.90 +.$60 processing. The tag picture is the trailer tag, not the tow vehicle.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #10

Both transponders are in the TV, you only use one of them at any given time, covering up the other.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm confused, why 2 readers, one in tug and one in trailer? Do you think the 18 wheelers have one in the cab and one in the trailer? I just got my bill paid for the Mass Turnpike, $3.90 +.$60 processing. The tag picture is the trailer tag, not the tow vehicle.
I wonder how that works with a rental U Haul?
Old 08-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I wonder how that works with a rental U Haul?
UHaul will just charge your credit card later, similar to parking tickets wit rental cars.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #13

Quote:
It's that primitive system they use. Unlike Florida who can count past two axles
Old 08-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #14

That primitive system is brand new, not even done with the install. Like our politicians, it just can't count.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Ezpass told me they have no trouble knowing when I am towing or not. In ten years it has never been wrong. She did say that I should get an updated pass if I was towing through their system frequently. Since it does not work west of Chicago or in Florida It has been fine.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
Ezpass told me they have no trouble knowing when I am towing or not. In ten years it has never been wrong. She did say that I should get an updated pass if I was towing through their system frequently. Since it does not work west of Chicago or in Florida It has been fine.
What state?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I bought from NJ. Live in VA.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #18

FYI, sooner or later all passes are supposed to operate anywhere in the United States. It was supposed to happen by October 1st of this year but that just aint gonna happen. Florida now is able to work with Georgia, North Carolina and shortly South Carolina. And supposedly by March of next year from Texas to Arkansas and the rest of the southern tier will all be able to communicate with each other. So by then you may need 3 passes, one of the Southern, one of the Northern and one of the Western. Then maybe one day far in the future one pass will rule them all.
But Mass. will still have problems, the 8 bit 6502 that powers their microframe will still have a problem with more than 2 axles
Old 08-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #19

and when that day arrives, we all will have a subzero, propane operating refrigerator system.....
Old 08-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #20

Quote:
and when that day arrives, we all will have a subzero, propane operating refrigerator system.....
Now that's just wishful thinking.