Matching paint with outer shell color? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2021, 02:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semievolved View Post
Ron, I hope you're still active on this site.

Ron has left the building.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Meaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Ron has left the building.
Ron is no longer contributing to the Escape forum.

By poly, I'd speculate he meant polypropylene or a thin but rigid sheet of plastic. That piece acts as a "mold" to flatten the gel coat as it cures. You don't want a plastic that sticks to the gel coat, so not any will do.

I've used thick, clear packing tape over small cosmetic fiberglass repair work as the "mold" to flatten and retain the coating while it cures.

Do contact ETI for a request for some gel coat....your best source for a color match.

See this site for some indirect help in your repair. It was also noted in an earlier post in this thread.

https://www.westsystem.com
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:19 PM   #23

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Ron is no longer contributing to the Escape forum.

By poly, I'd speculate he meant polypropylene or a thin but rigid sheet of plastic. That piece acts as a "mold" to flatten the gel coat as it cures. You don't want a plastic that sticks to the gel coat, so not any will do.

I've used thick, clear packing tape over small cosmetic fiberglass repair work as the "mold" to flatten and retain the coating while it cures.

Do contact ETI for a request for some gel coat....your best source for a color match.

See this site for some indirect help in your repair. It was also noted in an earlier post in this thread.

https://www.westsystem.com

very helpful, thank you!
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #24

Marine-Tex

I see you have a Scamp. If your repair is just a spider crack of gel coat or a rock divet, Marine-Tex epoxy is a whitish, 2-part epoxy that I have used on nicks on my old '96 Casita. It blends in pretty well color-wise and with the clear packing tape technique and some wet sanding, things are much improved, but not perfect. What's perfect?
It can be obtained at marine supply outlets.

Search around on the web for gel-coat or fiberglass repair info. Tons of info out there.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:24 PM   #25

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I would much rather have a boat Fiberglass repair tech than a RV guy who does a few fg repairs occasionally, working on my FG boo boo..
Old 04-20-2021, 07:47 PM   #26

'Tis true

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I would much rather have a boat Fiberglass repair tech than a RV guy who does a few fg repairs occasionally, working on my FG boo boo..

The boat repair people are very well versed in fiberglass repair. Auto body shop is used to metal work, not often fiberglass. Ask around, search around, for a fiberglass boat repair shop. They can do wonders.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:26 PM   #27

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
Quote:
I see you have a Scamp. If your repair is just a spider crack of gel coat or a rock divet, Marine-Tex epoxy is a whitish, 2-part epoxy that I have used on nicks on my old '96 Casita. It blends in pretty well color-wise and with the clear packing tape technique and some wet sanding, things are much improved, but not perfect. What's perfect?
It can be obtained at marine supply outlets.

Search around on the web for gel-coat or fiberglass repair info. Tons of info out there.
Thank you, yes, we have a scamp but I just bought an Escape with a significant scratch and am learning about my options to repair it. So far,the six10 (west systems) followed by gel coat obtained from eti and sprayed on is sounding the most promising. What do you think?
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:10 AM   #28

I'd job it out.

Fiberglass boat repair shops do this work every day and can make the damage disappear. Amateurs like me live and learn...the hard way, everyday. If you're handy, give it a try. I have no input directly on materials or specific technique. I don't know the extent of damage.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:28 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Fiberglass boat repair shops do this work every day and can make the damage disappear. Amateurs like me live and learn...the hard way, everyday. If you're handy, give it a try. I have no input directly on materials or specific technique. I don't know the extent of damage.
Definitely worth getting a quote. I've found I often spend almost as much money (and certainly time!) whenever I start a project that I've never done before than if a professional did the job.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote