Max external height on the 5.0 TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Yes, also the HD payload which adds bigger wheels and tires.

Think it has the most to do with how ETI adjusts the trailers suspension. As I had mine delivered they never had a chance to set it and adjust it if needed. They did however have the bed height.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
... Think it has the most to do with how ETI adjusts the trailers suspension. As I had mine delivered they never had a chance to set it and adjust it if needed. They did however have the bed height.
From a previous discussion (Escape new features - post #82), this is Bob's suspension:

The springs run under the axles, which the low configuration.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:40 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Remember, this picture is that of the original 5.0 TA suspension, the newer models have torsion axles.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Remember, this picture is that of the original 5.0 TA suspension, the newer models have torsion axles.
Forgot about that, do the torsion axles have 3 settings too?

FWIW, mine's mid setting in the picture. I believe for low you would use the upper bolt holes in the spring hangers, or whatever they are called.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I'm visiting the factory next month so your "heads up" will allow me to ask the right questions.
Excellent Someone would have likely told you about this at the factory anyway, but it's good to go prepared rather than getting overwhelmed with information while not having access to reference sources such as this forum.

Unfortunately, it appears unlikely that there will not be a new-style 5.0TA to show you at that time... they will have only the current 5.0TA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Right, they will eventually have rubber-sprung independent "torsion" suspension, as mentioned in post #7.

Quote:
FWIW, mine's mid setting in the picture. I believe for low you would use the upper bolt holes in the spring hangers, or whatever they are called.
That's the theory, and it could lower the trailer a couple of inches (using holes a couple inches higher on the hangers) before the axle beams risk hitting the frame at full compression over a bump, but in the photos I've seen there are no upper holes... someone would have to drill a dozen large holes in steel plate. I'm not volunteering

Quote:
Forgot about that, do the torsion axles have 3 settings too?
No - unless Escape goes to UCF Flexiride axles, which is extremely unlikely, the rubber-sprung suspension (presumably Dexter Torflex like all other Escapes) is not adjustable in height at all. It comes in different heights, but once manufactured it cannot be changed.

To allow different trailer heights without replacing the whole Torflex axle/suspension, the usual solution - already available from Escape as the "high lift" option - is to bolt a spacer in between the Torflex brackets and the trailer frame. The commercially available spacer kit from Dexter adds 2-5/8". That means
  • two heights only 2-5/8" apart, or
  • offering a taller spacer, or
  • special-ordering axles for more extreme heights (lower, or higher in combination with a spacer).
There are other height-adjustment approaches for this type of axle, but they are complex and expensive and usually reserved for trailers which need a power lift-and-lower feature such as to lower the deck to load equipment. I would be shocked if Escape did something unnecessarily complex like that.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Excellent

That's the theory, and it could lower the trailer a couple of inches (using holes a couple inches higher on the hangers) before the axle beams risk hitting the frame at full compression over a bump, but in the photos I've seen there are no upper holes... someone would have to drill a dozen large holes in steel plate. I'm not volunteering
I don't have a dog in this fight as I have a new 2017 5.0 TA on order but there appears to be an upper hole in the picture which is filled with a bolt. Not sure what that bolt is for as I assume the hanger is welded to the trailer frame. Is it possible to remove that bolt and mount the spring to that hole thus lowering the suspension by a couple inches?
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
When I expanded the photo it looks like there is a black painted bolt coming from the other side with a nut on it, just above the unpainted bolt head. Maybe that is some distortion or reflection in the photo.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #18

Now that the much needed rain stopped I went out and looked at the trailer, there are indeed NO upper holes in the brackets. Guess it only has 2 heights.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Now that the much needed rain stopped I went out and looked at the trailer, there are indeed NO upper holes in the brackets. Guess it only has 2 heights.
Thanks Bob.
As I recall someone at Escape was talking about three heights, so perhaps the plan was to drill if required for that extra lowest height.