Maxx Fan - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #61

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
MaxxFan cust service was a very negative guy. He said he would send a new board. A new board arrived in about a week. Today, it was installed by an RV service guy (labor covered by warranty) which did not know how to install it. Fan seems to work now. We will tell later when we actually go out on our next trip.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
I am waiting for my second control board replacement to arrive. When I talked to their tech guy he said they don't like to see anything over 13.5 volts on the card. Trouble is the DC bus routinely goes over that when charging the batteries. They need to beef up their card to handle more than 13.5 volts.
Do we need to add some sort of voltage regulator just prior to the card? Is there something that would fit inside the fan housing?
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Do we need to add some sort of voltage regulator just prior to the card? Is there something that would fit inside the fan housing?
I wondered about that too and asked the question in another thread on this forum and someone posted a link to this regulator. I never did pursue it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...C9B25845&psc=1
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #64

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
Yesterday I installed the motor that activates the hatch. It's just held in by a few screws and has one lead with a quick disconnect. Only took about 10 minutes. I did take apart the old motor and saw that a few of the teeth on one of the steel gears were broken off. Finally the fan and hatch work properly. If this goes out again, I'm going to look for a simpler and more reliable solution.
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:39 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkordzi View Post
Yesterday I installed the motor that activates the hatch. It's just held in by a few screws and has one lead with a quick disconnect. Only took about 10 minutes. I did take apart the old motor and saw that a few of the teeth on one of the steel gears were broken off. Finally the fan and hatch work properly. If this goes out again, I'm going to look for a simpler and more reliable solution.
Well, we're on the road and the maxx fan is acting up again on its first outing since being repaired. Same thing as last time - the fan starts beeping at random intervals. Also, after we got back from checking out the Grand Canyon (Spectacular! Recommend Trailer Village RV park), the fan was running with the hatch closed, apparently starting up on its own. At this point, after replacing the circuit board, and the hatch motor, I've concluded that the unit design is basically defective or that it was not intended to be used in this application. Not sure what my options are regarding warranty at this point, but if either the MaxxAir Fan people or ETI won't replace the unit with a more reliable fan that the 7500K, I do it myself.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Well, we're on the road and the maxx fan is acting up again on its first outing since being repaired. Same thing as last time - the fan starts beeping at random intervals. Also, after we got back from checking out the Grand Canyon (Spectacular! Recommend Trailer Village RV park), the fan was running with the hatch closed, apparently starting up on its own. At this point, after replacing the circuit board, and the hatch motor, I've concluded that the unit design is basically defective or that it was not intended to be used in this application. Not sure what my options are regarding warranty at this point, but if either the MaxxAir Fan people or ETI won't replace the unit with a more reliable fan that the 7500K, I do it myself.
I installed a dc to dc voltage regulator and conformal coated the boards. With a regulated 12.0 volts to the board and somewhat moisture resistant, the fan controls should last longer. It's only been in operation with these changes for a couple of months but I expect that it is now good.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tor-14667.html

Just replacing failed boards and hoping that will fix the problem - well....

Einstein once said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I installed a dc to dc voltage regulator and conformal coated the boards. With a regulated 12.0 volts to the board and somewhat moisture resistant, the fan controls should last longer. It's only been in operation with these changes for a couple of months but I expect that it is now good.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tor-14667.html

Just replacing failed boards and hoping that will fix the problem - well....

Einstein once said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
This morning there was quite of condensation dripping from the fan so I'm pretty close to concluding that is a big part of the problem. I was thinking of doing a conformal coating and actually bought some, but called the MaxxAir people about it and they wouldn't even talk to me about considering it. I also saw that some of the non-resister/capacitor components on the board had openings and was afraid the conformal coating wold plug them up and cause a problem. Would you describe how you did the coating? Maybe if it's still alive when we get back to Dallas, I'll coat it. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #68

Quote:
Would you describe how you did the coating? Maybe if it's still alive when we get back to Dallas, I'll coat it. Thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Condensation is just part of the problem. The Maxxfan control board really doesn't like voltage over 13.5.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:39 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Condensation is just part of the problem. The Maxxfan control board really doesn't like voltage over 13.5.

So did you just slather the coating over the whole board, or did you avoid certain areas?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:46 PM   #70

Quote:
So did you just slather the coating over the whole board, or did you avoid certain areas?
On the voltage regulator, the only places you want to avoid are the terminal strips, heat sink surfaces, and the voltage adjust pot until it's set. The acrylic conformal can be soldered without removal but realistically, if it failed, a new one is only $10. Not worth repairing. The only failures I've heard so far have been due to corrosion on the terminals - dielectric grease will stop that.

On the Maxxfan control board, the only things to avoid are just the plug in connectors and if you want to waterproof them, use dielectric grease.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-2205...A9297VVY64VFF1
Old 03-26-2019, 12:25 AM   #71

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
(Alert: meandering idea; I'll get to the point at the end!!)

I have been wondering about all the problems that seem to be showing up with control boards and other electronics, in fans, furnaces, frigs., etc.

My 2015 escape has always worked perfectly well, and for a long time after I first started reading this forum (2014) I read little/almost nothing about such problems.
I know from other experiences that bad or poor grounding is tough on electrical equipment, and is horrendous on electronic equipment. Some of the most obscure gremlins I've encountered have been grounding issues.
When we toured the Escape factory (Nov. 2014) after placing our order, one of the questions I asked was about wired grounds versus chassis-only grounds. I was assured, and also shown, the large gauge wired grounding throughout.
Now I am wondering if that has changed, and whether many of the issues with control boards and other electronics, and also more extreme voltages, could be a result of poor grounding.

Some possibles: Higher resistance grounding paths due to chassis-only paths or to poor connections, or intermittent connections again due to connection methods and quality.
Your thoughts?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:03 AM   #72

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Great thoughts, out of the box, which maybe what is needed.....I'll defer to the experts.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #73

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
This morning there was quite of condensation dripping from the fan so I'm pretty close to concluding that is a big part of the problem. I was thinking of doing a conformal coating and actually bought some, but called the MaxxAir people about it and they wouldn't even talk to me about considering it. I also saw that some of the non-resister/capacitor components on the board had openings and was afraid the conformal coating wold plug them up and cause a problem. Would you describe how you did the coating? Maybe if it's still alive when we get back to Dallas, I'll coat it. Thanks.
I don't believe the Maxxfan circuit boards are properly shielded from condensation. I had to replace a board under warranty that had clear water damage. Condensation coalesced under the lid to pool on the board. Damage shown in attached pics. I had a similar issue with my Atwood furnace (not on an Escape), where the circuit boards are exposed to condensation forming inside the unit, just from sitting in storage during our damp Northwestern winters.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180424_150106.jpg   IMG_20180424_150130.jpg  
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #74

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I have to agree with Don’s thoughts. I have a 2015 19 that from an electrical and appliance standpoint has been rock solid. Having been on the forum for a long time it seems that the issues have definitely ramped up in the last year or two with the current models. ETI is producing a higher # of trailers each year with the new facility, so the greater # of issues being discussed could just be related to a volume correlation.
Of course without any hard data of how many trailers are experiencing these issues vs how many total trailers produced we can’t tell if it is a real problem or a small vocal group. IE the frameless window issue. Apparently ETI made the decision to move away from those windows based on data they were tracking. If they are tracking the furnace and fan issues and move away from those products then we can assume it is based on an unacceptable failure rate.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #75

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, it's rare for anybody to post, out of the blue, that they have an appliance and it has no issues. Sometimes as rare as reading the manual.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #76

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
My 2015 escape has always worked perfectly well, and for a long time after I first started reading this forum (2014) I read little/almost nothing about such problems.
We have a 2017 5.0TA with a MaxxFan 7000k without any electrical problems with any of the appliances during our approximately 5 total months of camping. We almost always run the MaxxFan with a window open at least a little unless we were running the air conditioner. This includes using the 10% setting when it was cold outside (slightly below freezing). We have mostly camped with shore power, but sometimes dry camped with battery/solar power. However, I now have voltage regulators and conformal coating on my to do list.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #77

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Nothing to do with the circuit bd, but I just ordered a replacement lid as the original has cracks at the hinge (2014). When I mentioned the web site says Limited Lifetime Warranty on the lid they dropped the 2 year warranty and are shipping one out, easy enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Lid.jpg  
Old 03-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #78

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Nothing to do with the circuit bd, but I just ordered a replacement lid as the original has cracks at the hinge (2014). When I mentioned the web site says Limited Lifetime Warranty on the lid they dropped the 2 year warranty and are shipping one out, easy enough.
Bob just saw your post and took a picture of our Vent lid that also was cracked and I taped it on the outside . Can you give me any information on how to get a replacement too . Thankyou . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0506.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:53 PM   #79

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
call tech support @ 316-832-4357, think it was option 2 then 1. you need the serial #, which on mine was under the removable screen. just don't tell them you hit a tree branch.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:04 PM   #80

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
call tech support @ 316-832-4357, think it was option 2 then 1. you need the serial #, which on mine was under the removable screen. just don't tell them you hit a tree branch.
Thank you Bob . I really don't remember hitting a tree branch . Mine looks like yours . I think it just is stress on the hinge . Maybe a breeze kicks up and moved it around especially when we were sleeping . Is it hard to change out ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote