Maxxfan Problems - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Maxxfan Problems

Had our original Maxxfan die on us after just a few months. Reace suggested it might be a bad control board. I contacted the company and they sent me a new board. When I spoke with their technician he said the allowable voltage range is 10.6 to 13.7 VDC if I remember correctly and that if you are outside this range the board will be damaged. At that time I checked the voltage and it was 13.2 VDC so I thought I was ok. A little worried but ok. I installed the new board and the fan seemed to operate normally. This morning I tried to turn it on again and got no response either from the remote or the local buttons. I noticed we were now at 13.9 VDC. I assume the new board is now dead. We are connected to campground power. It is at 123 VAC and the surge protector shows no errors.

So how do I fix this so we don't fry another control board? When connected to shore power is the converter supplying DC power? If so, can it be adjusted to lower the voltage? Do I need to install a resistor to drop the voltage at the fan?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The upper limit of the operating range is surprising because chargers (both solar charge controllers and AC-powered converter/chargers) routinely exceed 13.7 volts at the highest voltage point of the charging cycle. Automotive charging systems (such as from the tug) routinely run at over 14 volts.

Just a resistor might not be effective, but a voltage regulator could be added. It shouldn't be needed, since essentially every MaxxFan in existence is used with an RV electrical system, and it is routine for those to exceed 13.7 volts - there is nothing unique about an Escape in this regard.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The upper limit of the operating range is surprising because chargers (both solar charge controllers and AC-powered converter/chargers) routinely exceed 13.7 volts at the highest voltage point of the charging cycle. Automotive charging systems (such as from the tug) routinely run at over 14 volts.

Just a resistor might not be effective, but a voltage regulator could be added. It shouldn't be needed, since essentially every MaxxFan in existence is used with an RV electrical system, and it is routine for those to exceed 13.7 volts - there is nothing unique about an Escape in this regard.
I just spoke with the MaxxFan people again and they said they don't like seeing anything above 13.5 VDC so I'm stumped why it works ok with other people but fries my board.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
So how do I fix this so we don't fry another control board? When connected to shore power is the converter supplying DC power? If so, can it be adjusted to lower the voltage? Do I need to install a resistor to drop the voltage at the fan?
You might want to regulate the 12v going to the Maxxfan. The Maxxfan on startup could pull up to 10 amps so the regulator would have to be robust enough to handle it. This could help:
https://www.amazon.com/voltage-regul...ulator+12V+10a
Attached Thumbnails
Voltage regulator.jpg  
Old 02-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
You might want to regulate the 12v going to the Maxxfan. The Maxxfan on startup could pull up to 10 amps so the regulator would have to be robust enough to handle it. This could help:
https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C2%AE-C...12V+to+12v+10a
Thanks for that. I might have to give that a try.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for that. I might have to give that a try.
I pasted the wrong URL - this is the correct one. (I was in edit when you quoted it) There are other voltage regulators out there that might be better/cheaper but it should give you an idea.

https://www.amazon.com/voltage-regul...ulator+12V+10a
Old 02-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Could your problem be low voltage getting to the fan instead of >13.7 volts?
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Could your problem be low voltage getting to the fan instead of >13.7 volts?
Don't know. Every time I check the voltage at the fan it's the same as the voltage readout on the Victron.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
What could they possibly be thinking - an RV specific fan that will not tolerate standard charging voltages?!?! This means that the fan should not be used while plugged in to either the tug with the engine running, or to shore power, which is nonsense to put it politely.

Yet another modification that should not be necessary. Good thing we got an earlier delivery date, the initial setup project keeps getting longer.

Has anyone figured out where a voltage regulator could be placed to feed the maxxfan in the 21?
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
What could they possibly be thinking - an RV specific fan that will not tolerate standard charging voltages?!?! This means that the fan should not be used while plugged in to either the tug with the engine running, or to shore power, which is nonsense to put it politely.

Yet another modification that should not be necessary. Good thing we got an earlier delivery date, the initial setup project keeps getting longer.

Has anyone figured out where a voltage regulator could be placed to feed the maxxfan in the 21?
I’m not an electrician, Allen, but I am expecting/hoping there is another reason for the blown circuit board. Hundreds of us have been using the Maxxfan for many years, under all circumstances, and have not experienced this problem. Hopefully, the problem is resolved quickly and permanently.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #11

Strangely enough the fan started working again this afternoon. I put it through all it's paces and it seems to be fine now so apparently the new board is not fried. All connections are tight, voltage seems normal every time I check it. Currently at 13.2 VDC. There must be a loose connection somewhere. Wish I had a wiring diagram for this trailer.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Strangely enough the fan started working again this afternoon.
That will be a disappointment to some.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #13

There are 2 hots and 2 neutrals at the fan so it's daisy chained with something else. I assumed it was with the ceiling lights and there has never been any kind of problem with the lights so I'm stumped.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #14

I'm curious what happens to a Maxxfan when the converter goes to boost at 14.4/14.8 volts? If 13.7 is it's max, 14.8 should really give it problems.

I think the reality is that Stephen's control board went through electronic infant mortality and failed, then the tech gave him a not so truthful story about the voltage being too high to cover for it.

The Maxxfan has a two year warranty - I would do nothing at this point and see if it fails again. I doubt it will - there's a lot of them out there running without fail.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Strangely enough the fan started working again this afternoon. I put it through all it's paces and it seems to be fine now so apparently the new board is not fried. All connections are tight, voltage seems normal every time I check it. Currently at 13.2 VDC. There must be a loose connection somewhere. Wish I had a wiring diagram for this trailer.
From the Maxxfan manual:

This MAXXFAN incorporates a self-resetting fuse on the circuit board located in the ceiling assembly. It can be reset by removing and reapplying power.

Do you think that could have been it?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #16

Quote:
From the Maxxfan manual:

This MAXXFAN incorporates a self-resetting fuse on the circuit board located in the ceiling assembly. It can be reset by removing and reapplying power.

Do you think that could have been it?
I'd like to think that but I didn't remove power after it worked ok yesterday and then failed this morning. It magically came back to life with no action on my part. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #17

Quote:
I'm curious what happens to a Maxxfan when the converter goes to boost at 14.4/14.8 volts? If 13.7 is it's max, 14.8 should really give it problems.

I think the reality is that Stephen's control board went through electronic infant mortality and failed, then the tech gave him a not so truthful story about the voltage being too high to cover for it.

The Maxxfan has a two year warranty - I would do nothing at this point and see if it fails again. I doubt it will - there's a lot of them out there running without fail.
I'm no longer curious as to why the Maxxfan circuit board fails. It is definitely due to the supply voltage exceeding 14.4 volts. I have a new board on order to replace the failed one and will be installing a voltage regulator to limit the voltage to 12v.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #18

Quote:
I'm no longer curious as to why the Maxxfan circuit board fails. It is definitely due to the supply voltage exceeding 14.4 volts. I have a new board on order to replace the failed one and will be installing a voltage regulator to limit the voltage to 12v.
Welcome to the club. Let us know which regulator you will be adding and where it will be installed.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2015
I have had problems with my Maxxfan since purchasing the trailer. I've got the Maxxfan smoke with remote. The circuit card has malfunctioned 4 times, I have purchased 3 new cards and gave up after the last one quit on me. Now my roof vent is just an air vent without the fan.
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Anyone that does the regulator install in the fan, please provide pictures, for purposes now and later.