Micro-convection oven - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Micro-convection oven

We have just put our deposit down for a 2012 19' Escape! One option we would really like is to have a micro-convection oven instead of an oven or the usual microwave. Reace said he would explore the idea - a "definite maybe". Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this alteration?
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Micro-convection oven

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the forum. Let the anxious wait begin.

I can't add anything on the oven though, as we opted for the storage space instead, and use other means of cooking. Our last trailer had a regular oven that go used twice in 10 years, but I think others make better use of them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your 19' Escape! Whether or not you get a microwave convection oven, I think you will be happy with your trailer.

Givent the space contraints, a micro convention oven would be a good choice for getting the best of both cooking worlds, if doing that type of cooking in your trailer is important to you.

Where would you put it? Below the range or above the fridge? You may want to pay close attention to the dimensions of the oven on as space may limit your options. For example, although the space above the fridge will accomodate something about 23" wide x 18" deep, you would only have about 12" of oven height available with a 5 cu fridge. The shape of the ceiling in the back of the compartment and the need for the oven door to clear the bottom of the A/C, if you have one installed, would probably be the limiting factor there.

We just picked up our 19 a couple of weeks ago, and we opted to not have an oven nor a microwave. We will just use the range indoors or a camp stove outdoors.

We are loading the trailer for the first time to go an extended trip, and I am glad we have the extra cabinet space since we need to stock it for a family of 4. Although the cabinet space is adequate, it does require some thought about taking only what is absolutely need (I am sure after a summer of camping, we will jettison several things that we seldom used).

BTW, there is plenty of bulk storage space under the bed and benches, expecially if you opt for the front storage bin. It is only the more easily accessible kitchen-area storage that is at a premium, at least given how we have loaded the trailer. We are using the storage above the fridge as our pantry.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

Everyone has different cooking styles when camping and enjoy different types of camping, ie hook ups or not. we had a convection microwave only in our last trailer and never used it in 5 years, probably due to the fact that we seldom have hook ups so when we did we were just used to not using it, we had a propane oven in our other trailers and used it lots, so we got a camp chef portable propane oven that we used with our last trailer. We have a 19ft ordered for aug pick up and have ordered without a microwave but did get a propane oven and are looking forward to not having to haul and set up the camp chef. I will say that most people i know that have had a propane oven never use it. So it just comes down to what you think you will use and if you will have electrical hook ups most of the time.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I skipped the microwave & carry a large (Crusinart TOB 155 that fits a 12" pizza) toaster oven that I usually use outside, plugged into the outside receptacle. I found I would rather steam vegetables than microwave them & use the toaster oven to bake, cook frozen pizza, etc. I also carry a Coleman combined grill & 1 burner stove on which I do most of my cooking.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

We really appreciate all the ideas. After weighing the pros and cons you've all mentioned, for now we think we are going to forego the micro/convection, use the space for a pantry, and get one of those portable propane ovens for the times we really need baked chicken or a home baked cookie fix. We don't want to compromise the drawers under the stove for the built in oven. If down the road we find we are using hook-ups more often, then will be the time to think about it again. Thanks very muchly!
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I think this is sound reasoning. The portable oven could be brought only when you want it, and left behind if you know you won't need it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I concur.

My "oven" took a couple trips with us, but at 7lbs. it stays home.

My Honda 1000w generator only joins us on our camping trips if I expect we'll need it.

Every ounce we bring with us costs in fuel.

Cast iron pans stay home, and if I had my way, so would the 40 lb. beagle.

Of course, everything is subject to change.

When I am retired at the end of the month, our camping requirements will change.

I'm not fond of any permanent installation given advances in technology or changes in life style.

baglo
Old 07-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: gbaglo...Even retirement isn't a permanent installation. You might have an Escape photo studio with a story to tell...Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote