Microwave Turntable - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #1

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Microwave Turntable

Just happened to noticed that the microwave turntable does not rotate in a smooth 360° manner. Instead, it rotates about 45°, then pauses, then repeats: rotate 45°, pause, rotate 45°, pause . . . .

Has anyone else noticed this indexing? The microwave works, just wonder if this is a feature of this model. It's a Dometic model CDMW07B supplied by ETI

Old 06-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 21ft Escape
Ours does rotate in a smooth manner. I take out the glass turntable every time we move the trailer. I put it back in when ready to use.

Picked up our 21 in March and have used it a few times since. Use the microwave for something every time we camp.

Robbie
trailseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
The one in our 17b also rotates smoothly.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
To add a little anecdote to this thread, we recently lost our microwave turntable while driving the Columbia Icefields Parkway. Due to the many frost heaves and cracks and loading the microwave with heavy stuff, it shot out the door and ended up breaking on the floor along with some other items. Today, I called the manufacturer to order a replacement. Imagine my surprise when they told me a new one would cost me a whopping $8.97. Yes, the decimal point is in the right place . I heard that a new one could be in the $80-90 range. The shipping will cost more than the new turntable. Our microwave is a Danby and it has worked flawlessly and we really like it.

And, just for the record, although the Parkway is a bit rough, the views are certainly worth it. Best time to drive it is now, before school lets out, and you can drive at a leisurely pace (something we didn't do) and enjoy the spectacular scenery.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
If your table starts and ...hurkey jerky, make certain the "little wheels" are in the groove. Don't ask me how I know...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If your table starts and ...hurkey jerky, make certain the "little wheels" are in the groove. Don't ask me how I know...
And also make sure there are no food bits on the track or on the wheels. :

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #7

Doug, Escape now puts a label on the microwave to remind us to remove the turntable before moving.

Donna, this model does not have grooves. On our 19, that microwave had the groves but the 21 does not. The newer model has a simpler design.

This afternoon I called the local RV dealer's service department and asked about the turntable movement. I was told that since I didn't buy the trailer from them they would not do anything even if it's covered under warranty. Maybe Poulsbo RV should move back to Poulsbo and give some competition going again.

I then called Camping World. The service guy was busy but the sales clerk said that some microwaves do in fact have the indexing or start/stop action.

Now I'm sending an email to Dometic and see what's up.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I doubt Dometic makes microwave ovens. The Dometic-branded microwave in my motorhome is built by LG, as shown on the same sticker that show the electrical data. Although warranty coverage would need to come from Dometic, the actual manufacturer or sales and repair sources for the same appliance under its regular brand name might be helpful for information.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #9

As a follow up on my microwave problem, Dometic confirmed that the turntable should rotate smoothly. Since the local RV dealer was no help whatsoever, Dometic suggested Camping World. Great suggestion! Camping World of Fife, Washington really came through. I now have a new microwave that works correctly.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 21ft Escape
Good news to hear. Thanks for letting us know your happy results!

Robbie
trailseeker is offline   Reply With Quote