More Atwood furnace woes.. ('07 escape 21 removal) - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Murphy's Law supplemental. If you carry a spare part, the original won't fail.

We bought a spare sail switch early on and the original has never failed. But on the other hand, after a particularly nasty stretch of washboard dirt road ALL the welds in the furnace fractured and the motor & fan blades fell out. That's where I got my lesson in pulling out the furnace. (Replaced the welds with through bolts.) No issues since...

But to offset our luck with the furnace, the fridge has given me more headaches than I can count.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Keep us in the loop there Dave, thanks...
Well, I went over to the trailer today with the new sail switch bracket. I can not see any way that this bracket fits - there must be another low flow furnace model, or perhaps it has been redesigned and this is the bracket for the new one. The sail switch is identical, so now I have another spare, but the updated bracket does not appear to work on my furnace. If anyone else gets one of the new brackets and finds a way to mount it (no instructions or diagram provided) please post pics.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:22 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 17B
Fixed - thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Are you using the stock Atwood replacement board? No idea if this would help, but just throwing out there that if I was having circuit board problems I would consider the compatible board made by Dinosaur Electronics.

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...ard-fan50pp%20

I tracked down a version of the original circuit board, took the furnace out and cleaned and tested all the components, reinstalled and, joy, it works. Thanks for the hint Rubicon.
Vancouver Island - Nanaimo, BC
threeacers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:20 AM   #44

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We had the same experience with our Casita furnace
“ ZERO ISSUES IN OVER 6 YEARS” and actually large enough to heat the trailer ( 16,000 BTU ) in the Spring and Fall camping seasons
Our Escape furnace has failed twice in a little over a year
( Defective circuit board , sail switch , leaky outside vent )
Our Casita also came ( Standard equipment ) with a heat strip in the A/C and it worked well
Why a $20K trailer built in texas comes with a backup heat system ( heat strip) that works and a $40K trailer built in Canada comes with an unreliable furnace and no backup still amazes me
I hope that someday Escape will come out with a true 3 season trailer.
$20K for a Casita sounds like a pretty good price.
On the other hand, if you paid $40K US for an Escape, like we say in Canada," you got hosed".
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:29 AM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
$20K for a Casita sounds like a pretty good price.
On the other hand, if you paid $40K US for an Escape, like we say in Canada," you got hosed".
I apologize that the subject / intent of my post was not perfectly clear / obvious !!
I will attempt to be more precise and less nuanced in the future .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #46

Trailer: 2018 17A
Get the dang furnace back in!!!

Help! Atwood furnace in 17A, was working intermittently. Thanks to the nice ETI video, I got it out, cleaned the lint off the sail switch, cleaned off the fan blades. Now I can't get the furnace back in. The problem seems to be in aligning the external exhaust tube with the inside of the furnace. I've tried mirrors, a little borescope, basically can't see back there. I'm about to pull the external flange off, but would rather not. Any suggestions? Please?
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
It pretty much takes two people. One on the outside, pushing against the exhaust tube area while someone is on the inside aligning the tube.

On edit... that's for the classics! I didn't know the 2nd gen trailers needed to pull the furnace to clean the sail switch...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:23 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 17A
Tried two people. If the tubes aren't aligned, no go! Should I be afraid of resealing the external cover?
I guess now the furnaces are external access? Not us; ours is early 2018. Sure would be nice to have the external hatch.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:31 AM   #49
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
on my 21, I was able to reach the exhaust pipe on the inside and feel how it went on the exhaust port, manipulate it with one hand while the other hand and my knee pushed hte furnace in. it took someone else on the outside holding the exterior exhaust port firmly against thee trailer to fully seat things without breaking the sealant around the exterior flange.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:42 AM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Worse comes to worse, remove and reseal the exterior connection,,,,this is a typical "Gumption trap" from Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance" scenario, the tiniest obstruction gums up the whole process.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Before you put the furnace back into the trailer check the floor of the unit for any protruding screws or wood blocks. Mine had a screw that really made removal hard, not sure just how they got the screw where it was.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote