More grey water than grey matter? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other

Old 10-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Dunno if the Hepvo valves meet Canadian plumbing codes...........
I don't think anyone will care if they meet Canadian residential plumbing codes. Escape does follow the applicable CSA standard (CSA Z240; as required by most provinces for new RVs, but not a federal requirement, not needed for owner modifications, and probably not enforced anywhere by anyone).

I went looking for a reference to the CSA standard, planning to note that it is available for purchase but not publicly available, when I found that the CSA Z240 standard for Recreational Vehicles is now available for free view access by the public.

The relevant part of the standard appears to be CSA Z240.3.2-14 Plumbing requirements for recreational vehicles, section 4.4 Traps, cleanouts, and fixture drains, and section 4.5 Prohibited fittings and practices. It does say
Quote:
Plumbing fixtures shall be individually trapped by a water seal "P" trap.
A Hepvo valve would not meet this requirement, and it might also violate section 4.5.3 (which is a prohibition of devices which restrict flow more than normal friction), but it doesn't appear to be specifically prohibited.

I think it is understandable if Escape Trailer Industries is not willing to install Hepvo valves, but if owners want to retrofit them I don't see a problem.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2011 casita sd
But an open tee fitting in the venting system connected to a tank of grey water and the living space is acceptable to the folks that write code

Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:10 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B on Feb 7, 2017
If nothing is draining out when you open it, you might as well just take the hose off, open it, and shine a flashlight in there to see what's going on.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:19 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
If nothing is draining out when you open it, you might as well just take the hose off, open it, and shine a flashlight in there to see what's going on.
Sounds like a good idea. What could go wrong?

(Please don't take this wrong. Just reminded be of some some slapstick movies of old.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg three-stooges.jpg (23.1 KB, 12 views)

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Sounds like a good idea. What could go wrong?

(Please don't take this wrong. Just reminded be of some some slapstick movies of old.)

Hi: skiman... Check out RV with the late Robin Williams to find out what could go wrong!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
That sounds like a good idea to me... but I would push the handle in, remove the hose, look in with an inspection camera or mirror of some sort, and then (carefully) pull the handle... it would then be apparent if the valve gate is moving.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
But an open tee fitting in the venting system connected to a tank of grey water and the living space is acceptable to the folks that write code
I assume that would not be acceptable in any residential or commercial plumbing code.

The relevant part of the RV standard appears to be CSA Z240.3.2-14 Plumbing requirements for recreational vehicles, section 8 Venting systems. While it doesn't appear to explicitly prohibit a vent in the interior, it does only describe roof and side wall vents, implying that those are the only allowed designs. I was expecting to find an explicit section regarding air admittance valves, and prohibiting other types of interior vent, but I didn't see one.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That sounds like a good idea to me... but I would push the handle in, remove the hose, look in with an inspection camera or mirror of some sort, and then (carefully) pull the handle... it would then be apparent if the valve gate is moving.
If the 21's are the same as the 5.0TA's, it's a straight shot. Remove the clean out port cover and you should be able to see either the gate to the gray tank or if it's indeed out of the way, right into the gray tank.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA In my future
Ugh!

I would take a back flow flusher such as camco dual flush or flush king hooked up to RV and sewer hose with garden hose attached to the flusher. Once hooked up see if water will flow into the grey tank. If the valve handle is in the open position and water immediately goes down the sewer hose and not up into the tank then you know most likely the valve is not working.

If the valve is not broke and you have a blockage the water pressure going back into the grey tank may unlock the blockage!

If you decide to look up pipe and open the valve make sure family member is video taping so we can all have a laugh if that goes horribly wrong.

Good Luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Camco Dual Flush.jpeg (33.1 KB, 10 views)

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I assume that would not be acceptable in any residential or commercial plumbing code.

The relevant part of the RV standard appears to be CSA Z240.3.2-14 Plumbing requirements for recreational vehicles, section 8 Venting systems. While it doesn't appear to explicitly prohibit a vent in the interior, it does only describe roof and side wall vents, implying that those are the only allowed designs. I was expecting to find an explicit section regarding air admittance valves, and prohibiting other types of interior vent, but I didn't see one.
I think that for those of us, used to seeing things governed by standards and codes, just have to accept the fact that ETI and probably the other trailer brands as well, don't strictly follow any known codes that we're used to.

Regarding the plumbing; the "S" trap under the kitchen sink would be a no-no in other plumbing jurisdictions as well as the vertical interior venting stack in a space by the bathroom and the several 90's with a short straight section used by ETI in place of a "P" trap near the grey tank wouldn't meet code either.

But things work OK, except for that annoying slow draining grey tank, it's just a bit jarring to see some of this stuff.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote