Motorcycle and 5.0TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2020, 01:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Brian B-P did an excellent write-up in regards to our particular setup and so I quote him:

"In addition to the moderate bike weight (compared to other motorcycles), this is the ideal Escape model (other than the 5.0) for this load configuration.
The proportion of trailer length behind the axle versus in front of it is lower for the 17 than other models, so the length of lever arm for the mass of the bike to lift the tongue and make the trailer sway is low, compared to the length of lever arm to the coupler for the tug to support and control the trailer. This is why the 17 has the battery on the bumper rather than the tongue - for balance in what otherwise be an excessively tongue-heavy configuration. In this case, it's the 17B which is presumably more front-heavy to start with than the 17A.

For example using guesses for dimensions, if the distance from bike centre to axle is six feet, and it is 12 feet from axle to coupler, the 180 pound bike will reduce the tongue weight by 90 pounds. That's significant, but with an Escape15 the distances might be 6 feet and 10 feet (rear 60% of front) and that would mean 108 pounds off the tongue.

For tandem-axle trailers (the 19, the 21, and soon the new 5.0) the effective axle location is midway between the wheel centres. Visually, the tail of a 19 or 21 doesn't look so long, but it is not just the body behind the wheel opening that matters.

An additional factor in is that all Escape models use the same size steel tubing for the raised rear frame section (under the dinette floor), so there will be fewer bending issues if that section is shorter. The 17 appears to be as short as the 15, the 21 looks longer, and I'm not sure about the 19."
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS
I went to the factory yesterday and talked with one of the staff about adding 2.5’ to the frame to carry a motorcycle. He would not suggest it as the rear frame is placed on top of the main frame and welded with about 8” of overlap and was afraid the weld could break. I asked about reinforcing the joint and he did not seem that receptive to the idea. The current model hitch is only rated at 150 lb tongue weight.
It would be difficult to reinforce the joint after purchase, but should be doable prior to assembly.
The problem with adding a bike to the front of a modern truck is that the bike will block the collision avoidance sensor/ camera.
I have carried a number of motorcycles ( XT225, WR250r, TW200 and DT200) on the front of my current truck for over 10 years with no issues.
ejfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:28 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think you are trying to achieve something that the trailer frame is not designed for. I also think that the frames are made off site by a third party to Escapes spec's and not made in house. You may need to purchase another rv with a larger frame to carry your motorcycle with you camping. Another option is to purchase a pull behind Escape, the E21 is similar to the 5.0 and you can then carry your bike in the truck bed.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:33 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS
I think that the frame could easily be reinforced prior to the unit being put together, but it would void the frame warranty. I really do not want a larger 5th wheel and definitely not a trailer. I am trying to downsize, but still want my motorcycles. Might have to go the route of the flatbed truck as posted earlier. Looking at a N series Isuzu.
ejfranz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorcycle