Motorcycle and 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA current
Motorcycle and 5.0TA

Hi there.
We recently bought a 5.0 TA and I was wondering has anyone found a way of carrying/towing a motorcycle with the 5.0 TA? I know in Alberta, a person is allowed to have another trailer behind the 5th wheel. Not sure if the hitch on the 5.0 TA can be modfied or the frame is adequate to tow another trailer.
However this is not permitted in BC. Not sure about other provinces and states. I trying to see if an option can be found that would be suitable for other provinces and states.

I have a notion that this is not possible and I'll have to forego the use of a motorcycle on camping trips.

Riding the motorcycle along with the spouse driving the trailer is not really an option for us.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Fred
flew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If the motorcycle is short enough (legally less than 2.6 m or 102") to carry across the width of the truck, a custom deck (replacing the stock pickup box) between the cab and the front of the trailer would be great. It has been done for much larger trucks (medium-duty and heavy-duty) pulling large fifth-wheels - with both motorcycles and small cars (Smart ForTwo), but I've never seen it on the pickup/Escape scale.

A trailer behind a 5.0TA is certainly possible, but there are lots of places it would not be legal; it wouldn't even be legal here in Alberta if you use a conversion to ball hitch for the 5.0TA such as the Andersen Ultimate. It's also not suitable on a stability and safety basis with a large motorcycle trailer, and personally I think that no production RV fifth-wheel is proportioned properly (in terms of axle position on the trailer) for towing an additional trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Last year we met a fellow in ND who was actually interested in buying our old 5.0 but we'd sold it before arriving back home last year. He ended up with a 19 Scamp. He had the whole frame at the rear beefed up and was towing a small trailer with his bbq and other stuff on it.

Many western states and provinces allow double towing as long as first trailer is fifth wheel connected to tow with regular fifth wheel hitch.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #4

I like the idea of a cross bed deck just behind the cab. It would be an interesting exercise to see if that is doable. That only thing that might be a concern is the turning radius of the trailer and how close it would come to the motorcycle. I'll have to explore that a bit more. The motorcycle might be a bit too long though. Some measurements have to be done. I see this as a potential winter project.

Thanks
Fred
Old 06-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I gave up motorcycle riding so that I can go camping......
Old 06-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #6

I do motorcycle camping but the other half is dead set against it.

Cheers
Fred
Old 06-30-2019, 03:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I camped from my bike many years ago, a Honda CB750, and quite enjoyed it. It really wasn't camping, more bike touring with a sleeping setup to make things easier, and in those days cheaper was the key.

I have not had a motorcycle for a while now, but can't see taking one on a RV camping trip, as I have the truck, my pedal bike and my feet to get around on, but if a motorcycle is fun, by all means go for it. We all go for differing reasons.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I have several bikes but all are to big / heavy to take along with the trailer. Then I ran across this-

Honda Monkey
Wet weight of 234 lbs, with wheelbase of 45.3 in. and 30.6 in. seat height

NEW 2019 Honda Monkey 125 Review of Specs / Features + More! | USA

I could stuff this in a few places -
Attached Thumbnails
2019-honda-monkey-125.jpg  
Old 06-30-2019, 07:18 PM   #9

That's another good idea; getting a smaller motorcycle.

Thanks
Fred
Old 06-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #10

Trailer: TBD
If your seriously considering those Honda mini bikes like the Grom & Monkey, maybe an ebike would work for you too.
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/
Old 06-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #11

I think I would prefer to stay with a more traditional motorcycle style rather than an ebike. Just a personal subjective preference.

Thanks
Fred
Old 06-30-2019, 10:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flew View Post
I like the idea of a cross bed deck just behind the cab. It would be an interesting exercise to see if that is doable. That only thing that might be a concern is the turning radius of the trailer and how close it would come to the motorcycle. I'll have to explore that a bit more.
All the difference in length between trucks of the same model and different box lengths is in the wheelbase. That means that if a truck with 5.5 foot box can tow an Escape 5.0TA (and they can) by setting the hitch slightly behind the axle, the same model of truck with an 8 foot box can tow the same trailer, with the same hitch setup (relative to the axle position), and have a 2.5 foot space across the front of the box with no trailer interference.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:10 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Saw this rig towing a Scamp 5th wheel. It had I think more than enough room for a bike behind cab. The owner said he bought it new and was very pleased with its capabilities. Not sure of the specs but it was a diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
20190218_185238.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:31 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
All the difference in length between trucks of the same model and different box lengths is in the wheelbase. That means that if a truck with 5.5 foot box can tow an Escape 5.0TA (and they can) by setting the hitch slightly behind the axle, the same model of truck with an 8 foot box can tow the same trailer, with the same hitch setup (relative to the axle position), and have a 2.5 foot space across the front of the box with no trailer interference.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out.
That space gets used up fast in a turn. My 6.5 bed set up can make a turn with trailer 90 degrees to the truck, but it misses the cab by only couple inches. With an 8 foot bed that leaves you maybe 20". Maybe a mini bike would fit but I don't believe that's what the 0P is looking for. The weight of any real street bike is going to be 400+ lbs. The wheel base of a for real street bike would also mean it would have to set ontop of frame rails not in bed. Don't see a conventional pick up working here. 😕
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
How large of motorcycle are you talking about? I know some of the smaller bikes have been carried on the front bumper of a pickup while towing. Some of the small trail bikes are about the max weight for the back bumper on the 5.0.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #16

I was hoping for a conventional motorcycle, probably need to look at the smaller ones like a 300 or 250cc size. Since this is the last trailer we are buying I have to either make it work with the 5.0 TA and a 1/2 ton pickup or just forego the idea of being able use a motorcycle on camping trips.
I think the weight of those are around 300-350 lbs. I'll have to investigate the possibility of it on the front of the truck as an option.

Thanks
Fred
Old 07-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
My 6.5 bed set up can make a turn with trailer 90 degrees to the truck, but it misses the cab by only couple inches. With an 8 foot bed that leaves you maybe 20".
And a tight enough turn can be made with a properly placed hitch in a 5.5' box, so that's 32".

Quote:
Maybe a mini bike would fit but I don't believe that's what the 0P is looking for. The weight of any real street bike is going to be 400+ lbs.
Yes, a real motorcycle weighs a lot, which is why it is better in the front of the truck's cargo area, rather than hanging off the front bumper of the truck or the rear bumper of the trailer.

This does bring up an issue, which is the truck's payload. Many 5.0TA owners are near their maximum payload (loaded truck weight near GVWR) due to the trailer pin weight plus hitch plus passengers plus cargo in the truck; a few hundred pounds of motorcycle and carrier will put most over. Any arrangement with a motorcycle on the truck while towing the trailer may require a heavier-duty pickup (250/2500, or '3/4 ton').

Quote:
The wheel base of a for real street bike would also mean it would have to set ontop of frame rails not in bed. Don't see a conventional pick up working here. 😕
Any full-size motorcycle would be extremely awkward to get into the stock cargo box over the box side, so carrying one between the cab and trailer means a custom box... yes, a carrier mounted on the frame rails, not in the box.

The overall length means any method which holds the motorcycle across the vehicle - out front, in the middle, or at the back of the trailer - is only suitable for short bikes.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2012 casita
I had the cb 750 also many years ago I now have Honda Goldwing
fmc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:44 AM   #19

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Motorcycle on trailer

We have a 17B that carries a Suzuki 125 Enduro motorcycle on the back. When we ordered our trailer in 2011, we specified ours to be bike rack ready for 500 lbs. I don't know if this is done now - apparently we were the first and maybe the last! We purchased an aluminum motorcycle carrier that slips into the receiver below the spare tire. My husband takes the trailer fishing and hunting and brings the motorcycle for scouting. It does requires more preparation - load distribution and tongue weight checks. He carries a tongue weight scale with him to ensure this. While this setup works great for our 17B, the logistics with a larger trailer would not be the same. Ironically, this year my husband sold his Toyota Tacoma and bought a new 1 ton truck with a long bed specifically to carry a quad in the back so he won't need the motorcycle carrier anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
motorcycle on trailer.jpg  
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:59 PM   #20

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBaranyai View Post
We have a 17B that carries a Suzuki 125 Enduro motorcycle on the back. When we ordered our trailer in 2011, we specified ours to be bike rack ready for 500 lbs. I don't know if this is done now - apparently we were the first and maybe the last! We purchased an aluminum motorcycle carrier that slips into the receiver below the spare tire. My husband takes the trailer fishing and hunting and brings the motorcycle for scouting. It does requires more preparation - load distribution and tongue weight checks. He carries a tongue weight scale with him to ensure this. While this setup works great for our 17B, the logistics with a larger trailer would not be the same. Ironically, this year my husband sold his Toyota Tacoma and bought a new 1 ton truck with a long bed specifically to carry a quad in the back so he won't need the motorcycle carrier anymore.
I would love to know how the frame was beefed up to handle the extra load, any way you could snap a couple of pictures of the frame? I currently carry either a Kawasaki KDX200 or a Suzuki Dr650 enduro bike on the front of my Tundra using a front mounted hitch and a Mototote. If I could carry my other bike on the back of the Escape I would be set! Sounds like your husband has a great handle on the setup and safety of your 17.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorcycle