My Ice Cream Bars Melted! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I have experimented with different thicknesses of packing Styrofoam inside both compartments...

Think I'll try some EPS (Expanded Polystyrene ) first as it's a lot less fragile and can be machined to fit better in the fridge section.
You might consider polyisocyanurate foam, which has a higher R-value and also machinable.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Very interesting thread; had not thought of the cooling system as actually two systems with a single point of control (thermistor.)
Well, really one system with two evaporators... #5 and #6 in this diagram:

Old 10-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Why did my ice cream bars melt with the refrigerator compartment remaining at a very constant 36 degrees?
Oh man, I wouldn't mind if my lettuce wilted but if my ice cream bars melted

Interesting situation and maybe answers a few questions others might have had when in a similar situation.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:42 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You might consider polyisocyanurate foam, which has a higher R-value and also machinable.
True, but the cost difference per R isn't worth it when you can't buy it in small quantities.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Nice observations. Not having a cabin in the “northwoods” or a refrigerator in the garage I never encountered the problem.

As expected, once we parked for the evening and turned on the furnace, the freezer started cooling. At my 8:00 PM feeding my ice cream bar was solid. SensorPush shows we were hovering around 3 degrees F.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #16

Quote:
True, but the cost difference per R isn't worth it when you can't buy it in small quantities.
Since it's normally a building insulation material, the minimum does appear to be a $30 4'x8' sheet.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Nice observations. Not having a cabin in the “northwoods” or a refrigerator in the garage I never encountered the problem.

As expected, once we parked for the evening and turned on the furnace, the freezer started cooling. At my 8:00 PM feeding my ice cream bar was solid. SensorPush shows we were hovering around 3 degrees F.
Would it resolve if you run the furnace at say 55 when prepping for the trip and then tow with the furnace on as Reace had us do on our way home from pickup?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Would it resolve if you run the furnace at say 55 when prepping for the trip and then tow with the furnace on as Reace had us do on our way home from pickup?
I would say yes, but I have never received consistent feedback on the furnace running while towing. Seems the forum opinions were all over the place. Being a late February Snowbird I have it in my plan, if necessary.

I think if you are placing frozen items in a freezer, like meat and vegetables - no problem. Ice cream, especially any of those skinny versions, read low fat, and you encounter a quicker melting point.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
This would likely work, unless it is very cold outside.

Quote:
I would say yes, but I have never received consistent feedback on the furnace running while towing. Seems the forum opinions were all over the place...
Some people have had problems with refrigerators operating on propane while moving, due to air flow issues. I wouldn't be surprised if water heaters could have similar problems, although that has always worked for me. Unlike both refrigerators and (conventional) water heaters, the furnace has a fan-forced draft (combustion air is blown through the furnace), so it should have no issues with the highway-speed wind blowing past it.

Of course to have the furnace running the propane tank valve must be open. Hopefully we can skip a repeat of that debate
Old 10-25-2018, 12:51 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
Older equipment had trouble with air flow on the road but newer RVs can generally tolerate wind at any speed from all sides. At least mine can.

It shouldn't be a problem to keep your appliances running on propane all of the time.

mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote