My Ice Cream Bars Melted! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 02:06 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've certainly had no issues with the big fridge in my E21. I suspect the chimney stack on the roof really helps it stay cool in hot weather, compared with the double vent panel on the side used on smaller propane fridges.
John in Santa Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Outwitting the thermistor

Stay with me on this story:
45 years ago we used to put a thermos full of piping hot water next to the battery in the VW Beetle when the nighttime temperature dropped to 40 below. It gave off just enough heat to the battery to start the car.
The thermistor operates the freezer and fridge if it senses warmth above the set point. To keep the freezer cold, put a room temperature water bottle in the fridge near the thermistor. It will give off just enough heat to keep the thermistor powering the cooling for quite a while.
Problem solved.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #23

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
45 years ago we used to put a thermos full of piping hot water next to the battery in the VW Beetle when the nighttime temperature dropped to 40 below. It gave off just enough heat to the battery to start the car.
The thermistor operates the freezer and fridge if it senses warmth above the set point. To keep the freezer cold, put a room temperature water bottle in the fridge near the thermistor. It will give off just enough heat to keep the thermistor powering the cooling for quite a while.
Problem solved.

I installed a larger battery in my beetle that I was given when mine went bad.

Was a good idea until someone sat in the back seat.
Shortly after we hit a bump.

If you ever owned one you know what happened.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Problem solved.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A great.....wait for it............story...
Old 10-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Bill,
That is an excellent solution. Fool the thermistor with warm water into thinking the refrigerator is warming up. It turns on the burners or coils and starts to cool. At the same time the freezer is also getting colder and best of all. My ice cream will stay cold.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Problem solved.
I've been thinking along these lines but the problem I see is that you could freeze the refrigerator compartment too. I think a small heat source inside the fridge might be a better solution. It could be connected to a thermostat located outside the fridge that would turn the heat source on when the ambient temperature dropped below a certain level, like maybe 50 degrees.

You could also do the same thing but with the thermostat in the freezer and set to something like 15 degrees. That would be even better.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:57 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
It’s Christmas in the Fridge

We were talking about the thermostat for the thermistor at the Wine Eacape Rally in September. I suggested a 9 watt Christmas tree bulb as a heat source. Getting harder to find these days but there are still millions in use I’m sure.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
7 watt and 4 watt are all I can find nowadays, made overseas....
Old 10-26-2018, 05:46 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
7 watt and 4 watt are all I can find nowadays, made overseas....
Garage sales. How many do you need? I had 1,000 c9s on the City Christmas tree with 100 foot drop Cords. Maxed out 4 twenty amp services. Sealed the connections with Saran wrap and plastic bags. Used very heavy drop cords. Meth addicts would steal them for the copper scrap value. Once the ground froze the cords stayed as we staked them down. If it snowed right after thanksgiving we were good too but bare ground and Yellow cords were an open invitation.
The Spirit of Christmas lives.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Would setting the fridge temp to level four or five help with this? It might freeze stuff in the fridge, though, if it's cool outside.

The one consolation I had regarding my RMD 8555 is that it will keep food reliably frozen in the freezer compartment. I might not be able to get to it due to a jammed door latch, but it will be frozen. Now I find out that this might not always be the case, either. Oh well.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'm not sure the thermocouple on the fins in my DM2663 (6 cu ft) refrigerator in my 21 does anything at all. I've moved it up & down, left it dangling, and it makes no difference. I have to run the refrigerator on 5 most of the time (4 when the nights get below 40) to keep the inside of the refrigerator at 38°F. The freezer runs between 4°F and 8°F.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #33
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I'm not sure the thermocouple on the fins in my DM2663 (6 cu ft) refrigerator in my 21 does anything at all. I've moved it up & down, left it dangling, and it makes no difference. I have to run the refrigerator on 5 most of the time (4 when the nights get below 40) to keep the inside of the refrigerator at 38°F. The freezer runs between 4°F and 8°F.
Hi Jon,
That is strange, Our DM2663 frig normally averages 34 @ number 3 setting and in cold weather (40) we have it set to 2. If in 90's or higher then number 4 keeps things nice and cool (Texas fans running of course).
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Hi Jon,
That is strange, Our DM2663 frig normally averages 34 @ number 3 setting and in cold weather (40) we have it set to 2. If in 90's or higher then number 4 keeps things nice and cool (Texas fans running of course).
Yea, if I ever get off the road long enough, I'll get it checked.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #35
Tin

Quote:
Yea, if I ever get off the road long enough, I'll get it checked.
Hi Jon,
Just out of curiosity, have you noticed any difference (temps/settings) when running the frig on A/C verses propane ?
Old 10-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Just FYI. Our RMD 8555 set on 5 maintains an main compartment temperature of 40-42F on a 90 degree day. Not cold enough to be dairy-safe in my opinion. And the freezer is around 12-14F. But in Albuquerque with 100F+ temps the freezer started melting our ice cubes. This is when using 110VAC shore power.

Truly the weak point in our otherwise very functional E21.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #37
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Just FYI. Our RMD 8555 set on 5 maintains an main compartment temperature of 40-42F on a 90 degree day. Not cold enough to be dairy-safe in my opinion. And the freezer is around 12-14F. But in Albuquerque with 100F+ temps the freezer started melting our ice cubes. This is when using 110VAC shore power.

Truly the weak point in our otherwise very functional E21.

--
Alan
Yikes, I would agree 40-42F on a 90 degree day would not be good.
Is it the same when on propane ? we are normally on propane (99.9 %)
Old 10-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Hi Jon,
Just out of curiosity, have you noticed any difference (temps/settings) when running the frig on A/C verses propane ?
Not really. Slightly better on propane than 120V, but not enough to be concerned about.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #39
Tin

Quote:
Not really. Slightly better on propane than 120V, but not enough to be concerned about.
Hum, yes these frigs do seem to like propane. My experience leads me to believe it's all about maintaining boiler temperature and it seems propane does a better job at that. Our propane system after pick up was 13.5 W.G. this worked great @ relative sea level but when camping @ elevation (8,600 to 9,600) no Bueno.

My solution is simple, using a manometer @ the stove top I adjusted the regulator to 11 W.G. then marked the turning slot and the edge of the regulator with an 11. I then did the same @ 12 W.G.

When camping at sea level or below 12+ W.G. works great, when at elevation I pop the cap off the regulator turn it C.C. wise to 11 W.G. or lower in order to keep frig running. I have had it down to 9.5 W.G. @ 9,600 of course oxygen and temperatures are part of the puzzle when it comes to camping @ elevation, but there are tricks to that also.

Opps sorry about that Jon I went a little off subject, when you have time may want to check W.G.

Happy camping
Tin.