My newest dumb question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2014, 03:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Question My newest dumb question

To charge up my trailer do I just plug the cord into the trailer then put a plug modifier on it so I can plug my home extension cord to it and will it will then charge up?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21'
Be very careful and make sure you know what you are doing.

You described hooking up 110V house power to a 12V trailer battery. That would be very bad.

Just like charging a car battery, you could plug a battery charger into your house and then with appropriate adapters and connectors charge the battery.

Batteries can explode so even though that is unlikely, they do deserve our respect and basic safety precautions.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I don't think the OP is talking about a battery charger because there is mention of plugging the cord into the trailer (detachable shore power cord) and then using an adapter, I'm assuming adapts from 30 amp configuration to 15 or 20 amp (parallel double blade with ground prong) configuration.

Yes, Kate, this will charge the battery if the 12 volt converter is in working condition, the battery is not bad, and the battery is connected. Most items in the trailer do not require 30 amps, which is what the shore power cord plug is configured for. The most power hungry appliance is an air conditioner, and if that is all you are running it will probably not trip a breaker or blow a fuse on a 20 amp circuit. But to charge the battery or pre-chill the refrigerator plugging the shore power cord via adapter into the house is more than adequate.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21'
Upon rereading I think your interpretation is much closer to mine. I thought the adapter was adapting to the 7 pin vehicle connector and I agree they likely meant the AC power adapter.

My apologies for the confusion.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
To charge up my trailer do I just plug the cord into the trailer then put a plug modifier on it so I can plug my home extension cord to it and will it will then charge up?
Yes, that works fine, and is what I do.

Don't try to run too much though. It will cool the fridge, charge the battery, and maybe heat water (I have done all three before), but definitely could not run the A/C as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #6

Hey,

That is what I too do, most everything can run off the regular house plug. In my case I can even turn the ac on if everything else is off. Makes it nice to work in the trailer when it is hot.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
You will need an adapter plug that lets the 30 amp extension for the trailer plug into your home extension cord. I don't recall if there was one in the trailer when we dropped it off. If it is there, it will be in the storage area that is accessed via the hatch on the passenger side in the rear. But, are you sure you need to charge the trailer? I think the battery was fully charged when we dropped it off, and assuming we didn't leave anything on in the trailer, and that you have had the least bit of sunshine (we have had very little on Whidby Island), I think the batteries should be pretty charged up. you can send me an email if they aren't charged, and maybe we can figure out why.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
thanks for the advice yes it was the 30 amp thing on the side of the trailer. Prob the battery is find but im camping this weekend and got a little paranoid that i was draining the battery last weekend. the addapeter worked great bought it at a campping store in town. Leon is the blue light on the Jennson radio always on? Is that a problem is it going to run my batterys down this winter?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
If you can, keep it plugged in over the winter. It will keep the batteries charged. The propane alarm is a constant draw even if the radio isn't. Or take the battery/batteries out and keep them in a warm location.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The stereo always comes on when we fool with the batteries. If we turn the main battery switch under the dinette off though, when not using the trailer, nothing can be drawing power.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote