Mystery Water Puddle - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2016, 10:04 AM   #41

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
So mystery solved...I washed my 1UP bike rack yesterday and didn't realize the water flowed downhill. I duplicated what I did yesterday and had the same results today at the back of the trailer. But thanks again for your great help in in trying to solve this great mystery! I guess there goes the alien theory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
So mystery solved...I washed my 1UP bike rack yesterday and didn't realize the water flowed downhill. I duplicated what I did yesterday and had the same results today at the back of the trailer. But thanks again for your great help in in trying to solve this great mystery! I guess there goes the alien theory!

Darn, I was in full support of the alien theory!
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So the water was run off from your drive way........
Old 07-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #44

Ummmm....yes? And somehow, it evaporated off the drive in full sun while the water puddled in the shade did not. How have I made it this far in life?!?

Old 07-31-2016, 11:57 AM   #45

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:

I do have a question though...we have a 3 year old, brand new but never used yet Yamaha 2000 watt generator. I would like to take that along on some campouts, and would like to see if it can run the AC. We have the EMS thing on the Escape. Would I risk damage to the AC by testing it with the generator? Of course, that would be the only thing using power that would be on...again, I have been hesitant to try it. Paralyzed with AC blowout fear.
My first generator purchase was the Yamaha 2000 and we had the EMS system. The Yamaha electronics and the EMS electronics do not play well together when the air conditioner is turned on. I talked to the EMS manufacturer and after voicing the company line that the system is not really designed for generators he inferred that it would function better on the Honda 2000. I think they've had problems with the Yamaha before but he wasn't explicit on that, probably for some liability issues. You can turn off the low power protection on the EMS system but you can not turn off the surge protection. The Yamaha may not have been surging but the EMS detects some anomaly in the system that resembles a surge and starts locking out the power by flipping the EMS internal switch a billion times a second and makes a horrible noise that makes you run to the generator and turn it off and pull your hair out simultaneously The Honda 2000 works fine (generator eco mode OFF, low voltage protection off) and I've heard reports that the Yamaha 2600 works with the EMS. This is not to say that the Yamaha 2000 is an inferior product, it just has a personality conflict with the EMS when the big air conditioner draw occurs.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:25 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If 30 amps were required to run the A/C, the trailer would have a 50 amp main breaker and a 50 amp cord (40 amp breakers are available, but not 40 amp outlets). The reason for this is because trailer owners are "expected" by the manufacturer to concurrently utilize multiple appliances, thereby adding to the power demand. The electrical system is designed with this in mind. Huge RVs with multiple A/Cs have 50 amp services. Getting back to our 30 amp trailers, should the usage exceed 30 amps (unlikely, but it could happen.....e.g., A/C, microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, etc. all running at the same time), the main breaker will trip. That being said, given a properly sized cord that is not excessively long (the longer the cord, the larger the wires must be to prevent voltage drop), if all one is running is the A/C, a 20 amp circuit is adequate to run the A/Cs in our Escape trailers. It might be prudent to not run any other "energy hogs" at the same time. Some Escape owners operate their A/Cs with Honda 2,000 watt generators. I am not 100% sure of the specifications, but I believe the Honda's output is similar to that of a 20 amp circuit. Hopefully, one of the forum's licensed electricians csn chime in.
I'm not an electrician but the Honda 2000 specs show 1600 continuous watts which is about 13.3 Amps. With regards to the size of the house breaker: the breaker in the trailer is only 15 amps so even if you are connected to a 200 amp house breaker, you're still limited to 15 amps at the air conditioner.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #47

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Ummmm....yes? And somehow, it evaporated off the drive in full sun while the water puddled in the shade did not. How have I made it this far in life?!?

Look at the bright side Nathanj , You started a wonderful discussion on air conditioners and generators.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #48

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
And now we can see where you park your trailer. Nice area for it.

Next up, a video of you backing into there from the street.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #49
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Look at the bright side Nathanj , You started a wonderful discussion on air conditioners and generators.
That must be some new use of the phrase 'bright side' that I'm not familiar with.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:47 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
I'm not an electrician but the Honda 2000 specs show 1600 continuous watts which is about 13.3 Amps. With regards to the size of the house breaker: the breaker in the trailer is only 15 amps so even if you are connected to a 200 amp house breaker, you're still limited to 15 amps at the air conditioner.
That is true. If you have a 15 amp breaker, it will trip if more than 15 amps are drawn through it, essentially to keep the wiring from getting too hot. However, as Tom (TDF-Texas) explained about voltage drop and wire gauge, you might not be getting adequate voltage delivered to the air conditioner's breaker in the trailer. Electrical code requires 14 gauge wiring for 15 amp circuits and 12 gauge for 20 amp circuits. Nowadays, homes are not constructed with 15 amp outlet circuits, they are typically 20 amp circuits. But older homes may have 15 amp outlets. All the AC Wiring in an Escape trailer is 14 gauge, except for the Air conditioner's circuit which is 12 gauge (per Reace). The reason I would not use a 15 amp circuit to power the Air conditioner is that a 15 amp circuit in an older home is wired with 14 gauge wire, and the further the outlet is from the electrical panel the greater the voltage drop. What if the outlet is on the other end of the house from the electrical panel? In my humble opinion, using a 15 amp circuit for the A/C could be iffy and would make me extremely uneasy.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:25 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
That is true. If you have a 15 amp breaker, it will trip if more than 15 amps are drawn through it, essentially to keep the wiring from getting too hot. However, as Tom (TDF-Texas) explained about voltage drop and wire gauge, you might not be getting adequate voltage delivered to the air conditioner's breaker in the trailer. Electrical code requires 14 gauge wiring for 15 amp circuits and 12 gauge for 20 amp circuits. Nowadays, homes are not constructed with 15 amp outlet circuits, they are typically 20 amp circuits. But older homes may have 15 amp outlets. All the AC Wiring in an Escape trailer is 14 gauge, except for the Air conditioner's circuit which is 12 gauge (per Reace). The reason I would not use a 15 amp circuit to power the Air conditioner is that a 15 amp circuit in an older home is wired with 14 gauge wire, and the further the outlet is from the electrical panel the greater the voltage drop. What if the outlet is on the other end of the house from the electrical panel? In my humble opinion, using a 15 amp circuit for the A/C could be iffy and would make me extremely uneasy.
Carl, you're absolutely correct, but I fear that we've hijacked the thread
In order to redeem this conversation we'll have to calculate the voltage drop across a puddle of water At least we don't have to worry about gauge, just mineral content.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:18 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
We do have air-conditioning, however since I ruined one on our Casita by running it on house power, I haven't done that since.
I think this is where we strayed off subject - it went from puddle discussion to preventing an AC from burning up. At least the OP started it!!
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:08 PM   #53

I take full responsibility and am happy to see the topic diverted from the embarrassing puddle! Generators are interesting![emoji1]

Old 07-31-2016, 10:32 PM   #54
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm just glad to hear the unintended leak wasn't from a leaking joint hidden behind a raceway and the OP couldn't find the origin for MONTHS!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:00 AM   #55

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Loved it! So many helpful people!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:04 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Next up, a video of you backing into there from the street.

Let's just say nothing of the sort will ever be knowingly forthcoming. And my family would probably whole-heartedly enjoy being spared the embarrassment of having to admit they know me.