Need advice - Insurance while trailer in storage at Escape Industries - NJ Resident - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #81

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
It sounds to me as if the U.S. insurance companies, by not insuring for storage in Canada, are simply following general practice, just as we have here between states. If an American is a legal resident of one state but keeps a vehicle primarily in a second state, in most cases the vehicle has to be registered and insured in the second state which is not their home state.

Insurance and registration usually go together so that may even mean registering in Canada for a time if a trailer is stored there, although perhaps registration is not required if the vehicle is not being moved.

No American who buys a vehicle in Canada has to import it into the U.S. Some don't. They may have a second home or job in Canada. They would have to register and insure in Canada even though they may be a legal resident of a U.S. state, if the vehicle is kept in Canada or primarily in Canada.

The companies determine if they are insuring by where the vehicle is stored, often using where it is kept when not in use. American companies may simpy not insure when primarily in Canada because they do not cover Canada and cannot in such a case.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #82

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=Floating Cloud;120812

Insurance and registration usually go together so that may even mean registering in Canada for a time .[/QUOTE]

That hasn't been my experience with ICBC. I've obtained insurance on vehicles in both California and Oregon that I didn't own but intended on buying and driving back to Canada. All I needed was the VIN.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #83

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I need speculation insurance.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That hasn't been my experience with ICBC. I've obtained insurance on vehicles in both California and Oregon that I didn't own but intended on buying and driving back to Canada. All I needed was the VIN.

Ron
Did you keep those vehicles in the U.S. with you being the owner for half a year as in this case? You did not have the same situation since you did not own them. That is why I said, "may." May not need registration. Also does not mean that a company did things as usual or required.

Also, you are a Canadian with the situation in the U.S., which may not be the same for agents or companies in Canada dealing across the border this direction. Government does not work the same both places.

Is the ICBC just an insurance company?
Old 12-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #85

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Ron
I too have never needed proof of ownership to get insurance on any vehicle, passenger or trailer. You do need proof of ownership to get registration for any vehicle, and proof of insurance for passenger vehicles.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I too have never needed proof of ownership to get insurance on any vehicle, passenger or trailer. You do need proof of ownership to get registration for any vehicle, and proof of insurance for passenger vehicles.
There is a big difference. I would say that without a doubt they are establishing here that you are the owner. They want years licensed, primary driver and all kinds of things.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
There is a big difference. I would say that without a doubt they are establishing here that you are the owner. They want years licensed, primary driver and all kinds of things.
We get that too for passenger vehicles. No need for proof of ownership though. In my experience insurance companies will ensure just about anything if you want to pay the premium they would charge. Heck, I was thinking about getting my hair insured, but they said I had to have some to do so.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #88

They wanted bill of sale for the trailer, copies of driver's licenses, checked records they have access to on us and all kinds of things. Had to provide records on the optional items we had installed that we bought and provided. Of course the VIN was a main item.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #89

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We get that too for passenger vehicles. No need for proof of ownership though. In my experience insurance companies will ensure just about anything if you want to pay the premium they would charge. Heck, I was thinking about getting my hair insured, but they said I had to have some to do so.
Hi: Jim Bennett... Bet the premium wouldn't be that much!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... Bet the premium wouldn't be that much!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Truth! LOL
Old 12-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #91

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Now I'm beginning to wonder. We have the trailer registered at our home address in Kansas, but it is stored in Missouri. All the insurance agent asked was where it would be stored and nothing more was said. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #92

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Now I'm beginning to wonder. We have the trailer registered at our home address in Kansas, but it is stored in Missouri. All the insurance agent asked was where it would be stored and nothing more was said. Loren
Have a look at your declarations page and see if it lists a Missouri address for the trailer. Probably this will be described as "The principle garaging address". In every policy I have looked at, the "principle garaging address" is used to determine the price you pay for the coverage, not whether or not the trailer is covered.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #93

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I need speculation insurance.
Bingo. because unless you look at the policy in question, it is just speculation.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #94

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Is the ICBC just an insurance company?
The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) is a government-owned insurance company which has a captive market (B.C. residents are forced to use ICBC to some extent) and also acts as a registration agency.

A trailer in storage is just property - not being operated as a vehicle - so I don't see any need to involve ICBC, although one could.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #95

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=Floating Cloud;120821

Of course the VIN was a main item.[/QUOTE]

I have obtained insurance and driven a vehicle on the road that didn't have a VIN.

My point is that ICBC has departments that deal with non-routine situations and they would be the first people that I'd contact for a situation like this.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #96

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
See post #53 on page 6 of this thread.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
See post #53 on page 6 of this thread.
Page 2, we are still on page 3.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #98

Quote:
I have obtained insurance and driven a vehicle on the road that didn't have a VIN.

My point is that ICBC has departments that deal with non-routine situations and they would be the first people that I'd contact for a situation like this.

Ron
I agree. They should call ICBC and some regular insurance companies to make sure of what they are told.

Many states have provisions to deal with no VIN. There unfortunately is not the uniformity that there should be on the way vehicle registrations and insurance are done. No telling from one state to the next.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I don't know, Loren. It is in your general area and not a second place you stay. Plus there are probably a lot of over the border situations around the country like yours. They are interested if you have a second place in the Southwest as a snow bird, for instance, and keep the vehicle there. Yours is not that kind of case.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #100

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
I spoke to Tammy. Specifically about damages or total loss of the trailer while in storage at ETI. ETI does have liability insurance that would cover for damages and POSSIBLY a total loss if stolen. Tammy is not sure if the insurance company would cover the total loss of a trailer if it were stolen. It has never happened so she doesn't know how much push back she would get from the insurance company if it where to happen. So she recommends storage insurance as a precaution.

I called ICBC and they only will insure a trailer registered in BC by a BC resident.
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote