Need advice - Insurance while trailer in storage at Escape Industries - NJ Resident - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #101

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
This is getting interesting. I think many of us have taken advantage of ETI's offer to store the trailers until pickup without thinking through the multi-country insurance issues. I know I put insurance on mine within a week or so of making payment and getting the final documents. Nothing happened, so I didn't have the opportunity to find out if my insurance covered what I thought it covered.

The idea of storage insurance is interesting. People store things all at locations other than their property (for instance the local storage center) and businesses are storing merchandise between the time it leaves the factory or gets off the boat and the time it arrives at their warehouse or site. You might want to consider calling an insurance broker either in BC or NJ and asking how much storage insurance would be if it were stored at ETI for a few months.

There is also a KOA and another campground a few miles into the US from Sumas. You might be able solve the non-US storage problem if you could get ETI to deliver it into the storage area of one of these campgrounds, and then put it on a US based policy.

One final note, when we picked up we got to ETI first thing in the morning. I remember ETI's junkyard dogs roaming the yard and giving us a good bark. They would deter all but the most determined thief from entering the yard. Later when we had to do some paperwork in the office, one of the dogs was just peacefully sleeping in the corner, and I still walked by it carefully.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #102

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Hmmm… between the dogs, the fence, the demos closest to the gate and maneuvering inside the storage area with a standard vehicle to hitch up (ETI has to use the fork lift to get those trailers out to the front) I'm thinking the odds are long against a total theft. ETI would most likely lose their demos near the front before people would go all the way down the line picking out a waiting trailer. Ours was ready in February and we didn't take delivery until April and we were comfortable with the storage for that time. Honestly, having stayed at the Lynden KOA close to 10 times, I'd be more concerned about my rig being there.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #103

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
As of now I am not going to insure it. I have called around and it appears very difficult to even find personal storage insurance for something like this. I think part of the problem is that the brokers don't want to be bothered because they aren't going to make any money on the deal. The way I see it is that I have asked the questions and know my risk. There isn't much more I can do at this point so I just have to roll with it.
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #104

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Given a choice, I think a thief would go for a 19' or 21' before stealing a 17B'.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #105

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Given a choice, I think a thief would go for a 19' or 21' before stealing a 17B'.
Haha. Good point!

Thanks again everyone for all of the ideas.
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #106

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Honestly, having stayed at the Lynden KOA close to 10 times, I'd be more concerned about my rig being there.
Gotta agree, the choice between ETI's storage yard, even though perhaps uninsured for total loss and a commercial place with misc. people coming and going would be an easy choice.

Storage places usually don't cover individuals items but a friend had a huge loss at a storage place and his homeowners policy covered it under "goods temporarily removed from home". Maybe that would apply in this case. Who knows but having been around ETI several times I don't think I'd be worried about their storage yard.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #107

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Glen I think all the trailers even if they still made 15's would be valuable to a thief if that is what he would do instead of working and paying for it . I would think my trailer was pretty safe at Escape compared to all the other places a thief could get his hands on outside Escape's gates . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #108

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I'm glad I didn't know all this when we blithely left our finished trailer at Escape from February to June without insurance on our part. But while anything is possible, I think the trailers are pretty safe there. Those dogs are pretty impressive when they bark.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #109

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrisdr View Post
As of now I am not going to insure it. I have called around and it appears very difficult to even find personal storage insurance for something like this. I think part of the problem is that the brokers don't want to be bothered because they aren't going to make any money on the deal. The way I see it is that I have asked the questions and know my risk. There isn't much more I can do at this point so I just have to roll with it.
Quote:
ichrisdr, if I were you, I would do a couple of things.

First, you might want to talk to local insurance agent, and tell them you are thinking of switching your Homeowners and Auto (and umbrella, if applicable) policies to them. If you have any sort of small business, make sure they understand that they understand those policies would be switched to them as well. Then ask for their advice. Back in the days before so much insurance was sold over the web, there were a lot of local insurance agents who actually added value. But in any case, when I look at your posts in this thread I don't think you have gotten very good service or very good advice from the companies you have contacted. And if an insurance company isn't going to give you good service before the claim, it is doubtful that it will give you good service after the claim. Look for an agent who is a "Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter" (CPCU). That is a designation from the Insurance Institute of America for insurance professionals. When I got mine, many years ago, it was the equivalent of about 25 credit hours of college level classes, and written exams. A local agent will be familiar with New Jersey policies and forms. I am not familiar with those forms, which is why I have only been urging you to read your policy.

Secondly, Glen may or may not be right that a thief would choose a larger trailer, but given the size of ETI's dogs, your biggest exposures are probably fire, wind, or some other sort of natural disaster. You may decide those risks are minimal, and you can self insure them. But, if you are worried about those risks, go ahead and get insurance on the trailer. Just make sure that to read the "policy territory" portion of the of the policy, and make sure it includes Canada. Every policy I have seen includes Canada and Puerto Rico in the policy territory, along with the United States. The storage at ETI is only a temporary situation, no different than if you took your trailer to a repair shop and left it there for a period of time. Unless there is some sort of exclusion of coverage when the trailer is stored away from the principal garaging address, I think the company would have a hard time denying the claim. Your situation is very similar to someone who lives in Minnesota but spends a portion of the winter in Florida or some other winter home.

If you have a loan on the trailer, I would expect the lender to require you to carry insurance beginning at the time they make the payment to ETI.