Need advice - Insurance while trailer in storage at Escape Industries - NJ Resident - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #71
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Perhaps Escape can refer the op to a Canadian company familiar with insurance for storage on a manufacturer's property, not in a storage facility, with a Certificate of Origin still in the manufacturer's name, perhaps a rider on their policy if a storage fee was charged.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #72
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
This is a great thread. We want to travel to Alaska. How have others dealt with this issue when traveling through Canada? I didn't even think to ask our insurance company....now I'm concerned.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #73

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
The issue isn't traveling through Canada; it is storage in Canada.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #74

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
This is a great thread. We want to travel to Alaska. How have others dealt with this issue when traveling through Canada? I didn't even think to ask our insurance company....now I'm concerned.
You might look at your insurance policy and see if it mentions Canada. We were told that we are covered in Canada.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:57 PM   #75
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I understand the point you are making Donna, but I don't agree with you. Anyone who takes out a loan for a car or house or a trailer retains ownership of that property, even though they may owe money to a bank or some other entity.
Things change at the speed of light. And I can't speak to anything beyond my buy from ETI in 2014. But, I threw money at ETI over several months, no loan.. always a check from my bank account. The only thing I got back was as a receipt that was a modified "Build Sheet." No VIN number or anything that recognized I was buying an asset. Maybe I was an "innocent" but it all worked out for me. AND my trailer had a zero loan against it and 100% paid for when I picked it up at the US/Canada border at Sumas. Maybe that's the difference between me and a few others? I never considered the insurance problem because I picked up on the completion date. So, if that confuses folks.. I apologize.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:32 PM   #76

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
I was there too on the date; said I could come earlier as I was in town, but Tammy said she'd see me at 11 AM. Even then had to wait awhile as they were still putting on the final touches. Feel for those who have to wait months for a finished Escape.

This insurance question is intriguing; wonder if my umbrella policy would cover any loss if we were in this position of having paid for it but leaving it at ETI for several months. Isn't this in fact a bailment?

BAILMENT(from lectlaw.com)
A legal relationship created when a person gives property to someone else for safekeeping. To create a bailment the other party must knowingly have exclusive control over the property. The receiver must use reasonable care to protect the property.

This word is derived from the French, bailler, to deliver. It is a compendious expression, to signify a contract resulting from delivery. It has been defined to be a delivery of goods on a condition, express or implied, that they shall be restored by the bailee to the bailor, or according to his directions, as soon as the purposes for which they are bailed shall be answered. Or it is a delivery of goods in trust, on a contract either expressed or implied, that the trust shall be duly executed, and the goods redelivered, as soon as the time or use for which they were bailed shall have elapsed or be performed.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:50 AM   #77

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post

This insurance question is intriguing; wonder if my umbrella policy would cover any loss if we were in this position of having paid for it but leaving it at ETI for several months. Isn't this in fact a bailment?

BAILMENT(from lectlaw.com)
A legal relationship created when a person gives property to someone else for safekeeping. To create a bailment the other party must knowingly have exclusive control over the property. The receiver must use reasonable care to protect the property.

This word is derived from the French, bailler, to deliver. It is a compendious expression, to signify a contract resulting from delivery. It has been defined to be a delivery of goods on a condition, express or implied, that they shall be restored by the bailee to the bailor, or according to his directions, as soon as the purposes for which they are bailed shall be answered. Or it is a delivery of goods in trust, on a contract either expressed or implied, that the trust shall be duly executed, and the goods redelivered, as soon as the time or use for which they were bailed shall have elapsed or be performed.
There is no need to wonder if your policy covers you. Reading the policy will generally answer the question. All of the umbrella policies I have seen are liability policies, with no coverage for your property, only damage caused by your negligence to the property of others.

As I have said before, in the event of a loss, it will be your policy that determines if you have coverage. So it is good to read your policy before you have the loss. It doesn't make any difference what the person on the phone said about whether or not there is coverage unless you have it in writing. Getting an answer off an Internet forum is also not very useful since policies can differ from state to state and person to person.

Also I suspect the op may be asking the insurance company the wrong question. There is a lot of difference between asking an underwriter 'Will you write coverage on a trailer stored in Canada?' And 'Is our insured's trailer covered while it is stored n Canada?'
Old 12-12-2015, 08:50 AM   #78
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Also I suspect the op may be asking the insurance company the wrong question. There is a lot of difference between asking an underwriter 'Will you write coverage on a trailer stored in Canada?' And 'Is our insured's trailer covered while it is stored n Canada?'

Bingo,
That may well be the issue, asking the right question the right way to the right person. Sometimes your research will get completely irrelevant results by not researching using the correct key words and going the correct source.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #79

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
.... All of the umbrella policies I have seen are liability policies, with no coverage for your property, only damage caused by your negligence to the property of others.
Duh! Well I guess I'd be covered if the trailer were to go freewheeling and hit another trailer
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #80

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
[QUOTE=Rossue;120801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
.... All of the umbrella policies I have seen are liability policies, with no coverage for your property, only damage caused by your negligence to the property of others.

Duh! Well I guess I'd be covered if the trailer were to go freewheeling and hit another trailer
Hi: Rossue... I've oft said "Insurance Co's. are liability company's that don't want to take any liability". ie: your only covered if the Golden Gate Bridge falls on your travel trailer on the second Tuesday of any week!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote