Need advice - Insurance while trailer in storage at Escape Industries - NJ Resident - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #1

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
Need advice - Insurance while trailer in storage at Escape Industries - NJ Resident

Hello. This is my first post. ETI advised me to post up my question here because I have run out of options.

Quick background - I live in NJ and will be making my final payment and taking title to my 17B in Jan 16. I will be storing my trailer at ETI until June 16 when I can drive out to pick it up.

My problem is that I cannot find insurance for the trailer until I take possession of it in the US. So as of now it will be in Canada without insurance until I get out there in June. Once I take title any damage to the trailer will be my problem.

Has anyone from the US been able to insure their trailer while in storage in Canada?

Thank you!
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Hmmm. Never thought of this. We didn't have a long lead time when we picked up our trailer; I think it was 3 weeks. Our insurance company just asked when we wanted to start insuring it---actual possession wasn't part of the equation.

Purchasing the trailer prompted us to find other insurance. The company we had for 20 years was a call center and didn't want to work with us. We then switched and got better insurance for about the same rate.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you folks do not need to actually take the trailer to the registry like we don't, you can register it before you get it. That's all we need in MA to insure it. You can get all the paperwork to do from ETI so as soon as you finish paying for it.

Some states require a state policeman to see and verify the VIN number though.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
We haven't actually insured ours yet, but I recently called our agent to see what would be required to start coverage on our camper when it is complete and on it's way here. He indicated that all they needed to add it to our coverage is the VIN number and any paperwork that we can provide from ETI. Our insurance is with Farm Bureau.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I insured mine through Progressive, just like the rest of my vehicles. All I needed was a VIN and model. The fact that it was parked in Chilliwack was never asked or volunteered.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #6

I believe that I can get it registered in NJ before I go pick it up. I called Geico, Progressive, State Farm, NJ Manufacturers, and two Canadian RV insurance brokers and no one will insure it until I take possession. I just called back NJ Manufacturers who I use for auto and explained again that I will have title and that it will be registered in Jan 16 and they said that they will not insure it until I take possession.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I'm confused as I didn't think you actually took title to the trailer until it is physically handed over to you. ETI has said that the warranty doesn't go into effect until then so why would this be different?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
I insured mine through Progressive, just like the rest of my vehicles. All I needed was a VIN and model. The fact that it was parked in Chilliwack was never asked or volunteered.
Every insurance representative I spoke to I disclosed the location because I want to know for sure that if there is a loss it will be covered. Just because you pay for insurance doesn't mean that they are going to cover damages or total loss. I had a specific conversation with the Progressive representative that they do not have any insurance adjusters in Canada. So if you did incur a loss there is a good possibility that it wouldn't be covered.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We have State Farm and they insured our trailer starting from the day we took ownership ... and they knew where the trailer was being stored. They required photos (ETI's weekly photos), VIN number, etc., etc., and we gave them our money. We took ownership in January and picked up the end of March.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I'm confused as I didn't think you actually took title to the trailer until it is physically handed over to you. ETI has said that the warranty doesn't go into effect until then so why would this be different?
ETI told me that as soon as I make my final payment they will mail me the title and that it is my responsibility while in storage. I own it they are just storing it for me. However I think they work with you on the warranty and it starts when you take possession from ETI.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We have State Farm and they insured our trailer starting from the day we took ownership ... and they knew where the trailer was being stored. They required photos (ETI's weekly photos), VIN number, etc., etc., and we gave them our money. We took ownership in January and picked up the end of March.
This helps because I do not have State Farm for my auto policy and that is probably why they said no. This gives me an idea. Stay tuned.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #12

Quick side note I just want to thank everyone for the replies so far. This has got my wheels turning.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #13
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Note: We got the best rates with Liberty Mutual....
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We got the best rate with Safeco. They needed the VIN and asked if the trailer was aluminum or fiberglass, and where the trailer would be stored. Don't know if Canada would have presented a problem. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
Note: We got the best rates with Liberty Mutual....
Thank you. I just called Liberty Mutual. I would have to add an auto policy to get an RV policy, which I would be willing to do, but they said they only insure within the continental US.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
We got the best rate with Safeco. They needed the VIN and asked if the trailer was aluminum or fiberglass, and where the trailer would be stored. Don't know if Canada would have presented a problem. Loren
Thanks I just called Safeco. They said the same thing as the other insurance carriers, they will not insure until I take possession.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This brings up an interesting point, is the trailer yours since you have not physically received it?
When taking delivery, the trailer is not yours until delivered. Similar to "FOB" destination or shipping point, with delivery it would be FOB destination. With storage before pick up there maybe a gray area since you have not actually taken possession.Theft from ETI's property may well be their responsibility but what a legal mess. If you can get the insurance do it. I got mine to cover while the unit was in transit, just in case. State Farm is my insurer.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You could try a Canadian insurance company. ETI sends many people to:
Hub International Barton in Chilliwack.
You might give them a call 604 792 4116
Old 12-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrisdr View Post
.....they will not insure until I take possession.
I am missing something here, and even reread things. If you take possession when you send in the final payment, and insurance will only start then, why would you not be covered? Insurance companies from the US cover their clients in Canada all the time.

All I have ever done with any insurance, is to call my broker, give them the VIN, set my coverage, and I have the pink slip from them via email shortly. A paper one follows in the mail.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This brings up an interesting point, is the trailer yours since you have not physically received it?
When taking delivery, the trailer is not yours until delivered. Similar to "FOB" destination or shipping point, with delivery it would be FOB destination. With storage before pick up there maybe a gray area since you have not actually taken possession.Theft from ETI's property may well be their responsibility but what a legal mess. If you can get the insurance do it. I got mine to cover while the unit was in transit, just in case. State Farm is my insurer.
According to ETI I will own the trailer as of 1/11/16 when I make the final payment. They are going to mail the title and I will own it. I have thought about the fact that it will be on their property and I haven't taken possession so why wouldn't they be responsible. Maybe if something happened they would be responsible but that could get messy.

I bet a lot of people think their trailer is covered in Canada when in fact it isn't. I have called over 6 national insurance carriers and non of them will insure while in storage in Canada with the exception of maybe State Farm. I am waiting to hear back from them.