New Awning Warp - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #1

Trailer: selling 2015 Casita Freedom, buying Escape 21'
New Awning Warp

Walt and I are out camping with some friends last week at a state park. We are invited over for dominoes during a very light rain drizzle. We put our awning out knowing that it is suppose to have this automatic watershed feature and that a light rain in not a problem.
4 hours later we return to find that the watershed feature did not drain off the rear side of the awning like it shows in the manual. It pooled in a large bowl shape across from the front door.
After pushing the water out the vinyl is somewhat stretched and the whole awing is now cock-eyed, leaning down on the right side and up to far on the left. With a some help we managed to get it back into the holder for travel.
Any body else have this problem

The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
There is not an automatic watershed feature, it just runs off when partially deployed. There is an automatic closing feature for high winds, but deploying the awning in the rain has been discussed in other threads and the consensus is to only deploy maybe 50% and you should not have any issues. Also it is a reminder to check your batteries in your auto retract, they are replaceable.
I think any awning stretching or expansion will dissipate over time as long as the arms are not bent.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 17B 2017
Im sure glad you could get it rolled up to get home. There is Brenda(blhvet) and Tisiphone's bent awning arms .post 59 two links.

Brenda(blhvet) and Tisiphone what was the outcome of your awning bent arms?

Warranty issue. Is it really 2 years?
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is not an automatic watershed feature, it just runs off when partially deployed. There is an automatic closing feature for high winds, but deploying the awning in the rain has been discussed in other threads and the consensus is to only deploy maybe 50% and you should not have any issues. Also it is a reminder to check your batteries in your auto retract, they are replaceable.
I think any awning stretching or expansion will dissipate over time as long as the arms are not bent.

Here's a screen print off the Dometic website.
Notice the wording? Automatic rain shed, wind sensor.
I do not have my manual with me but I seem to remember it also says so in it. But I think it also had weasel wording a few pages later that made it sound like what they consider rain we would consider to be fog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg awning.jpg (59.4 KB, 21 views)
wetzk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Shedding rain or on my Lance it was called dump, the weight was supposed to activate the arms to lower. I do not think the Dometic arms have the capacity to lower themselves to dump the water as the joint in the arm is horizontal vs vertical as in the Lance. In the Lance awning the arms are attached to the trailer side and have a preset limit before they let go and the water dumps. The Dometic would need to have an universal type attachment at the trailer (which it does not have) in order to dump any water at a preset limit. The Dometic use of shedding works when the awning is 50% retracted and the water bends the arms enough to dump the water by gravity, nothing in the awning itself is activated. The only activation available is the wind sensor.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21 on order, due in Nov '17
So that manual image says it makes it "easy" to drain the water. It does not say that water is automatically drained by itself, just that it makes it easy to do so. As opposed to the wording of the automatic wind retraction feature.

yes, I understand, weasel wording, or splitting hairs.

But it is interesting that Dometic has worded the wind feature differently than the wording for the rain feature. I wonder what "feature" it is about the awning that Dometic has designed in that satisfies this rain feature? What about the awning, in their mind, makes it easy to drain the water? Because I think everyone with actual field experience with rain and this awning would agree that there is nothing "automatic" about rain draining off. It definitely collects in the fabric and sags.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #7

Trailer: selling 2015 Casita Freedom, buying Escape 21'
Page 4 of the Dometic Operating Instructions- Type 9500E MODEL 201(LL) (CC).003 (#)

"This awing is designed with a water shed feature that automatically lowers one side of awning during light rain to allow water run off. The water shed feature is meant for light rain only"
Then it shows a picture of water running off the rear lead rail"
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Yes, the weight of the water will cause the entire arm to drop until the water runs off, but there is nothing electrical or magic, just basic gravity at work. But to prevent pooling in the middle, the arms need to be retracted partially.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’ due 22 March 18
I have been asking lots of questions on this, as my 19' is ready March 22 2018. Below is the response from ETI. I do hope domestic comes up with an adjustable sliding arm that allows manual pitch adjustment. I would prefer this over an automatic wind feature.

"A little more information on the electric awning. The awning is supposed to have a rain dumping system however, in our opinion it does not work. Which is why we have created a decal advising customers to close the awning when not in use avoiding damage if the rain pools. Dometic is aware of this problem and is working on the adjustment of the awning."
Sowen23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Palomino y series
Again, mind boggled that you can buy a trailer for near 40 k and cant get an awning you can use in light rain.
Maybe Ill keep my **** box pop up afterall.

Tags
awning, new awning