New ceiling vent fan recommendation? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Casita
New ceiling vent fan recommendation?

So I finally got around to bringing my new to me 2010 19’ Escape to the RV shop for a bunch of little tweaks, bearing, brakes, etc. When I got the Escape the handle for the MaxxFan had fallen out and wouldn’t screw back in making it unusable. The shop just called. They say the handle is not repairable and want $300 in labor to replace it (plus the cost of a new one). So..... I’ll be replacing it myself! I’m looking for advice please.

1. What brand of vent fan do you prefer/recommend: MaxxFan, Fantastic Fan, other?

2. What putty do you recommend for the roof when you install it?

3. What vent cover do you like best?

Thank-you!
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am curious as to why you can't replace or repair the handle. Besides, that sounds expensive for an hours work. Mauve fill us in on exactly what the issue is.

I very much prefer the MaxxFan.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Casita
The handle/socket is stripped and won’t screw back in. Since I had it at the shop for other things I asked them to look at it. They said they called Escape and were told it is not fixable/discontinued. When I get the camper back I will take it apart and check it out further. I did notice a sign on the wall saying “Labor rate = $149. per hour”. ��
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
There are some great glues out there theses days that would secure the stripped handle...however permanently.
Make sure they give the handle back to you in case you want to go that way.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:43 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I much prefer the Maxxfan's cover over the one the Fantastic fan comes with. I had to put one of these on to be able to use it in the rain.

Mechanically and sound wise, I preferred the Fantastic Fan, keep in mind this was in 2007, they may have changed, it is Dometic after all.
Attached Thumbnails
vent_cover.png  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my circa 2014 maxxfan deluxe 7500k, the knob/handle for the lid is a cheap easily replaced piece held in with a single screw. it fits directly onto the splined shaft into the cover lift motor, which is also an easily replaced part. i had to replace the gearbox above the lift motor that actually lifts the top, that required coming in from above, so was a more difficult job, but still not hard to replace.

lets see, for a manual lift (5100K – 6201K), the knob is 05-21236K and screw 10-21241K
For an automatic lift, (7000K – 8951K, 8700N, 8900N), its part 10-20223 and screw 10-20265K

these run about $5-10 for the knob.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote