New Escape 19 Dometic Furnace problems - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Cool New Escape 19 Dometic Furnace problems

New Dometic Furnace on Escape 19 is a lemon. We picked up our marvelous Escape 19 Trailer on Sept 14. The furnace worked for 3 days with no problem and then failed. Then much to our delight - we were able to reach David - get a guess on the problem -- bad circuit board and got it into a RV repair shop in WA state and get that replaced under Dometic warranty. BAD NEWS -- it worked perfectly for the night and morning after the repair and now it is acting up again. It isn't exactly the same problem now - but close. Before the replacement of the bad circuit board, it would turn on the blower and cycle through an attempt to start with three discernible clicks and then turn off. After repair, as I said it worked for two days perfectly. Now the blower comes on, it clicks and doesn't ignite - just like the old problem -then we turn it off at the digital thermostat. We wait a couple of minutes and then cycle through again. The new issue before the blower would always come on - but not ignite and now often it just doesn't come on at all - not even the blower. (We are very experienced so of course we checked the air in lines and supply of gas issues). Today we will try to talk to Dometic directly - the RV shop did that warranty for us before. Anyone experience getting a lemon Dometic furnace before? We are on a 5 week trip after picking up our "exceeds expectations" Escape 19.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19
I had the same problem with 2017 19' dometic furnace - it worked for 3 days and then failed. I took it to a shop and they found that the circuit board was faulty and it was replaced. Since then, I've had no issues and it has been working perfectly....knock on wood!
SBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Does the new exterior access panel make it easier to fix the furnace?
Old 09-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19
If I recall correctly, at least for my repair, the repairman accessed the furnace through an access in the closet
SBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuckner View Post
I had the same problem with 2017 19' dometic furnace - it worked for 3 days and then failed. I took it to a shop and they found that the circuit board was faulty and it was replaced. Since then, I've had no issues and it has been working perfectly....knock on wood!
That is what we hoped for -- but after 2 days it failed -- similar to first. So did we have the exceptional bad luck of 2 bad circuit boards or is something else going on? HMMMMMM. We are just starting to search for another RV place and call Dometic etc.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We didn't repair it - so don't know. I'll ask on the next repair.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #7

Trailer: none
You may want to replace the OEM circuit board with a higher quality one from Dinosaur Electronics. They are much more rugged for RV use:

https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Ignitor_boards.htm
Old 09-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
It should - the board is immediately visible and accessible when the panel is opened. I have cleaned off the board (because they get dusty, with no air filter in the furnace system), and a tech has replaced the board, in a similar furnace of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuckner View Post
If I recall correctly, at least for my repair, the repairman accessed the furnace through an access in the closet
Escape only recently started installing the furnace with an exterior access panel. If you just have the small inlet and exhaust fitting on the outside (as shown in the Escape website photos, just above the forward wheel on the street side), then all access is from the inside; it might make sense to get to the outside end of the furnace through the bottom of the closet in the 19' layout (in which the furnace is under the closet). The exterior access panel looks roughly like the water heater panel, but half as tall.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
You may want to replace the OEM circuit board with a higher quality one from Dinosaur Electronics. They are much more rugged for RV use:

https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Ignitor_boards.htm
The original ignition board part number for both the old Atwood 8012 and the newer AFSAD furnaces is 31501. This website has an original, aftermarket version and the dinosaur electronics version listed for convenience.
https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...it-board-31501
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
It is marvelous -- Dometic said they would overnight air two parts to us - the Sail Switch and the Furnace Board (they said it could actually go bad twice in a row). The outside door puts everything right at one's fingertips. We are too timid to replace the Sail switch -- we could replace the furnace board -- but we finally found a shop that agreed to spend a few minutes if we bring the part in and open up the door - they really don't have tine. But we will pay the labor and send the bill to Dometic who is providing the parts.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
It is marvelous -- Dometic said they would overnight air two parts to us - the Sail Switch and the Furnace Board (they said it could actually go bad twice in a row). The outside door puts everything right at one's fingertips. We are too timid to replace the Sail switch -- we could replace the furnace board -- but we finally found a shop that agreed to spend a few minutes if we bring the part in and open up the door - they really don't have tine. But we will pay the labor and send the bill to Dometic who is providing the parts.
PS - after it goes out of warranty we will follow advice to put in a better Furnace board if needed. In the meantime, I guess Dometic is willing to send the parts free.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
PS - after it goes out of warranty we will follow advice to put in a better Furnace board if needed. In the meantime, I guess Dometic is willing to send the parts free.
Yes, that is the right approach. I posted the direct link to the different boards for future reference.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... The exterior access panel looks roughly like the water heater panel, but half as tall.
The bottom rear corner of the access panel is visible in this photo, from Tam's album:
Old 09-21-2018, 06:25 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here is a better picture of the heater access panel on an Escape 21, right over the forward wheel well...
Attached Thumbnails
NORMAN - DS of current 21'.jpg  
Old 09-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The bottom rear corner of the access panel is visible in this photo, from Tam's album:
Thank you for commenting on this access to the panel. The access panel on the outside is really slick!! It is even at a perfect height to work on the back of the furnace. Also, after this picture we made it to an auto store to get a proper torque wrench and Jim, my husband, said all of the lug nuts were 10 to 15 pounds under the 95 ft/pds that are required. We read the owner's manual!!
Old 09-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Here is a better picture of the heater access panel on an Escape 21, right over the forward wheel well...
Thanks Jim... much better photo!
Old 09-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #17

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I fired up Dometic furnace on my 2018 Escape 19 for the first time a week ago. It started right up and I was happy. However, twice since then, it has failed to come on during cold nights leaving me shivering in the morning. Very sporadic issue as it works fine most of the time. Called Escape and they suggested I contact Dometic directly which I will do on Monday. Intermittent issues are the worst as it's tough to diagnose what is going on. Thermostat does read 3 degrees higher than actual temperature as well.

When it fails, the fan doesn't even come on so it's not an ignition issue in my case. Would be nice if schematics of the boards, thermostat, etc. could be made available for troubleshooting but I guess that would impact dealers' business ;-)
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The furnace in our new 2018 trailer decided to quit working .The fan runs for 20 or 30 seconds then the furnace shuts down .( No ignition ) We don’t have the outside access panel so looks like the I will be pulling the furnace . Closest repair facility is 100 miles away so I am on my own
Going down in the 40’s tonight so thank God we brought an extra blanket .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:26 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
See, another reason to travel with 3 dogs! They throw off a lot of heat on chilly nights.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:57 AM   #20

Reporting from the rockies

UPDATE ON OUR FURNACE WOES: After our reported first warranty stop on our trip that went smoothly - except they couldn't keep and test the trailer -- it worked well for two days and then began the same issues I described before. On the second stop (I will skip the details for now as I sit in the wonderful Rocky Mountain East Portal campground) the second technician tried to put in the new sail switch Dometic had sent - but said they sent the wrong one. But he noticed some "fluff" in the sail switch and cleaned it out. Then it worked!!! We got nervous when it acted oddly at our 8,500 foot campground - but Dometic - when we again called - said stay calm - it is the altitude now. That has been true. It has worked fairly well at the 8,500 feet, but sometimes first thing in the morning it will not start right up - but then does and works well. So, we are guardedly optimistic after two new furnace boards and a cleaned out sail switch. OTHERWISE: the trailer is marvelous and once one can actually get through to the right person at Dometic (that can be a chore) they are very knowledgable and work with you. I will keep you updated as we won't be home until later in October.
Attached Thumbnails
FORFBCOVER.jpg  

Tags
dometic furnace