New Fridge Topic: A Different Approach - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #91
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Appears Dometic just went thru a "Restructuring" aka Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #92

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Yeah Jim with your background you could figure that mess out way better then I or others most likely could.

Cypher

Old 09-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #93

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
And to add insult to injury:

Dometic Group Signs Purchase Agreement with Atwood Mobile Products LLC
I don't see this as particularly bad. The Atwood and Dometic lines are relatively complementary, and being able to offer every product an RV manufacturer needs from one source is a competitive advantage that might make some RV manufacturers insist that none of the products in the line cause customer relations issues (rather than just going to another source for the problematic appliance).

If you really want to talk to the one person in charge, you're not going to be dealing with large corporations, and I suspect that only a large corporation can economically build appliances.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #94

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Question Is Fridge issue with AC plugged in

I am curious (and possible worried) , we are taking delivery on an Escape 21 in Nov 2014.
Is this fridge issue an issue when stopped and plugged into AC , or just an issue when towing using DC or gas?. The 21 comes with the Domestic 6.7 fridge. We had a 4 cu ft Domestic in our Casita and it always worked fine on site. It was always off during towing.
Thanks
Bruce
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #95

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Generally, it happens with any source of power, although there may be a slight advantage to 120V, when it's available, as it eliminates the propane combustion exhaust as a source of extraneous heat. When towing, it seems like there may be an advantage with 12V, since something seems to be interfering with the propane as a source of heat to drive the process. The thinking is that too much air is entering the lower vent while underway (speculation at this point). Unfortunately, 12V has limitations in terms of operating the fridge and keeping the Escape battery charged simultaneously.

Please consider expressing your concerns to Dometic.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:11 AM   #96

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I found I had the same issue, to a slightly lesser degree, when on 12V. I have no 120 back when towing so I don't know about that source. The problem only occurs when moving. At least to me.

At this point we make due with a good cooler for milk and cream on the hot traveling days. Not a big thing, but then we live in the north.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #97

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Hi: All... To a lesser degree( pun intended) we are experiencing the same performance level of the 6.7 refer. I found that with the power vent in the bathroom left up... the venting of the trailer while travelling helped a little. We also found 12V. solar a preferred way to cool on the road. Some how the refer is almost always on the sunny side of the street.
Seems that while stationary the fridge will cool to 34-36*'s on propane/120V. On the road 41-44*. This is the best it can do on max 5 bars...even in cooler temps. This was with the freezer removed and also in place!!!
I guess we'd better register the warranty, for what it's worth, as we might have to pay a visit to our local Dometic tech.
I did add some extra black foam insulation around the lower vent cover to direct the air flow into the vent via the upward directing slots. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030873.jpg (198.5 KB, 10 views)
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #98

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by batcat View Post
I have a build sheet due in January for our 21. The problems with the
Domestic refer have me quite worried since we live in south Louisiana where the temps can be in the mid 90s for months at a time, not to mention high humidity. Are there no options other than Dometic? Would would be the point of installing a refer that won't work in temps above 80? Of course, I doubt we would be camping in the summer anywhere around here. But still?
Our build sheet is due on 1 December. ETI just sent us the reminder email.

San Antonio is hot too, so we've been concerned and following all the fridge threads closely. I'll be flying out to ETI next Thursday to tour the trailers, finalize our build sheet, and yes -- deal with the fridge issue. We will not have an SN rated fridge put into a brand new 30k trailer that will be used in hot climates. That just doesn't make sense. I have a number of options working, but I have to address this with ETI directly before I know which ones we'll take. I will definitely keep the forum posted of any decisions/resolutions we come up with. Expect an update by COB next Friday.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #99
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I do not know if this makes any difference to air flow while on propane but after looking at Alf's pictures I realized he has no bug screening attached to the refer vent. I do and I have no issue with the propane staying on nor operating while under tow. Perhaps the screening helps diffuse any turbulence created by the lower vent? something to ponder.........?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #100

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Jim, is your screen on the lower vent, or are you referring to the one beneath the upper vent?

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote