New Fridge Topic: A Different Approach - Page 15 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #141

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Ah, Dometic IS continuous cycle:

RV Products - DometicUSA

Old 10-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #142

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Put an ear by the lower refer vent and you should hear the burner when it's 'on'. And/or open the vent and you'll see a flame peep hole.

Careful ... you don't want to burn up the burner
Hi: Klem... So far I've used 120V. to power the 6.7 refer. It's cool today but with the thermistor in position shown in pic. the temp on 2 bars was 37*F. before opening the door twice and taking the pic. SWEET!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030917.jpg (204.2 KB, 28 views)

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #143

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Can someone tell us what the thermistor does ?
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #144

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
They are a sensor designed to provide a signal to the control circuit that is attempting to maintain the desired fridge temp. Their resistance is roughly proportional to temperature, so if the fridge temp goes up, the resulting increased resistance of the thermistor provides a signal to the control circuit to increase cooling.

As Alf moves his thermistor to a warmer spot in the fridge, he is fooling the control circuit into providing more cooling for whatever setting he has chosen on the control panel. I still maintain that there is no magic additional cooling available. When the outside temps get too warm, his fridge will be just as limited as it was before. But Alf wants to find that out for himself.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #145

Hi: Parker... No "Fooling" an old fool!!! I feel that where the thermistor is now located is more representative of the average temp in the fridge box. My thermometer is located at the front edge of the shelf, which is warmer than the back. If I get the same reading on 2 bars that I got on 5... then when in Florida temps I should get a favorable reading on 5. If not then I'll join the queue for a new fridge from Dometic under warranty... (Right)?
I'm not ready to poison the arrow, just yet. Alf
Old 10-05-2014, 12:13 AM   #146

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Good point. There are basically two types - continuous cycle and intermittent cycle. Not sure which one the Dometic is. Here's a pretty good explanation of the differences:

SMALL AMMONIA REFRIGERATOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Ah, Dometic IS continuous cycle:

RV Products - DometicUSA
Yes, and consumer absorption refrigerators are likely all continuous. One hint is the inclusion of hydrogen (or helium) in the refrigerant charge, which provides the pressure differential or continuous "pumping" action.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #147

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
As Alf moves his thermistor to a warmer spot in the fridge, he is fooling the control circuit into providing more cooling for whatever setting he has chosen on the control panel. I still maintain that there is no magic additional cooling available. When the outside temps get too warm, his fridge will be just as limited as it was before.
I agree that moving the thermistor doesn't change the total cooling capacity - it just sets a different target for the refrigerator to try to reach. On models with no adjustment in the control circuit (not used by Escape, but included in the Dometic line), this is the only adjustment method available, and is clearly described both in the manual and by a label in the refrigerator interior. The recommended adjustment is only along the height of the fins.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:30 AM   #148

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
During the first year I had my 19 I experienced cooling problems and wired a potentiometer across the thermister circuit to fool the system. I was able to make the refer run longer but soon realized that the unit had a problem with cooling capacity in hot weather so, realizing that this wasn't going to address root cause, I pulled the potentiometer out and put everything back to stock.
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #149
grc

Trailer: Four Wheel Camper
I guess I'll be the one to ask the dumb question.

Right now the debate is between the propane frig and trying to fix it and the 12v compressor frig and how much is enough battery/solar to keep it running. The issue with the propane frig lack of performance seems to be related to the EU Climate Class limitations. I could be wrong but the EU Climate Class info and restrictions looked to apply to all kinds and types of new refrigerators manufactured in Europe.

The dumb question is, if you go with a new EU manufactured 12v compressor frig will that fix the performance problem or will you still be dealing with poor performance due to the Climate Class issue?
grc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc View Post
I guess I'll be the one to ask the dumb question.

Right now the debate is between the propane frig and trying to fix it and the 12v compressor frig and how much is enough battery/solar to keep it running. The issue with the propane frig lack of performance seems to be related to the EU Climate Class limitations. I could be wrong but the EU Climate Class info and restrictions looked to apply to all kinds and types of new refrigerators manufactured in Europe.

The dumb question is, if you go with a new EU manufactured 12v compressor frig will that fix the performance problem or will you still be dealing with poor performance due to the Climate Class issue?
Hi: grc...The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask... I believe that with "Global Mfg" the same issues apply to both style of RV Fridges.
To get around the fridge fire issue Dometic in essence turned down the power of the propane boiler. Since these fridges are a continuous cycle my solution was to move the thermistor sensor to a warmer spot in the fridge.
My RVTech told me his solution was to add a spacer to bring the sensor forward from where it was... but that raised the temp. back to 41*F. I elected to put it back where I had it... but I need to figure out a safe mount for it. Alf