New Fridge Topic: A Different Approach - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #41
grc

Trailer: Four Wheel Camper
Look on page 40 of this pdf. It is from 2010 and the low end of the Tropical class might have changed from +16degC to +18degC

http://ec.europa.eu/danmark/document...28_6481_en.pdf

grc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc View Post
My understanding is that the Climate Class applies to all types of refrigerators manufactured in the European Union, not just where they are sold. This appears to be something dictated by the E-U.
The existence of climate classes will set a minimum for performance - no reason to hobble an appliance to work more poorly. The E-U standards also address energy consumption, but whatever the control logic the cooling unit will presumably determine the energy consumption to meet the required cooling load.

Regulations rarely restrict the performance of what is built for export, and even if the Euro refrigerator rules apply to units Dometic makes in Germany for North America, they could just designate this market as Tropical. Since the labels in the appliances don't mention the climate class, I don't think they're subject to any E-U rules... but it's an interesting theory.

Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #43

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
I'm not surprised that Dometic is trying to help the cooling with different doors. It is probably the lowest cost solution for them. The doors on the 8xxx units are filled with blown-in, expandable foam, probably not a very good insulator. If you pull your front cover off the door you can see the injection port in the center and the gas vents located throughout. Dometic always mentions their "Pentane-blown foam" in the specs on their "T" rated units. Pentane is a gas that is produced during the chemical reaction when the foam is being injected and it does not conduct heat well at all. Therefore, Pentane-blown foam is a superior insulator. I will bet the doors Reace is getting from Dometic are made for "T" rated units and filled with Pentane-blown foam. With some good insulation added around the existing 8XXX units we have this may be a viable solution.
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #44

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21 (May 25, 2016)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
I posted some time ago that Dometic is planning to ship some fridge doors that have a much higher r-value that the standard door supplied in North America. I have been patiently waiting for them. Today I was informed that these doors are different in some way or another for the fridges in Europe. They are waiting for some forming materials to be shipped over to start making the doors in the US. Although these doors may not look or completely fit correctly, as long as I can get a seal, I have asked for a door for each fridge to be shipped so I can at least try them out.
Once I receive them, I can put a couple of trailers into our fiberglass booth which is heated and I can raise the temperature up into the 90's over a weekend to test new door vs old door in a controlled environment. At least we would know if it is worth the wait or not.

Reace
Reace - you are truly going above and beyond on this issue! You are the best!
Jane
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Thanks again to Reace for the updates and tirelessly working this issue. I think the redesigned doors will help. For those new to the fridge topic we are all fully aware of the manufacturers recommendations to improve performance, the need for a level unit, fans, you name it. This issue has been analyzed ad nauseum.

As to climate class ratings, there is a lot of confusion. If you want to sell a fridge -- ANY fridge in the EU, you have to label it with a climate class-- the max environment in which the fridge is expected to operate efficiently. The EU mandate has very little to do with cooling capacity and a lot to do with energy efficiency.

But, the effect of a T class rating vs a ST, N or SN is that the T rated fridge will outperform the others when installed and operated according to the manufacturers specifications.

So, many here have concluded, and rightfully so, that a T rated fridge is the one to have if you want it to cool better in higher ambient temps. Unfortunately, the RM85xx series fridges are SN rated.

Lastly, I'm not surprised that the Norcold rep didn't know what a climate class rating was. Unless their fridges are sold in Europe, the class rating is not needed.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #46

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Thanks again to Reace for the updates and tirelessly working this issue. I think the redesigned doors will help. For those new to the fridge topic we are all fully aware of the manufacturers recommendations to improve performance, the need for a level unit, fans, you name it. This issue has been analyzed ad nauseum.

As to climate class ratings, there is a lot of confusion. If you want to sell a fridge -- ANY fridge in the EU, you have to label it with a climate class-- the max environment in which the fridge is expected to operate efficiently. The EU mandate has very little to do with cooling capacity and a lot to do with energy efficiency.

But, the effect of a T class rating vs a ST, N or SN is that the T rated fridge will outperform the others when installed and operated according to the manufacturers specifications.

So, many here have concluded, and rightfully so, that a T rated fridge is the one to have if you want it to cool better in higher ambient temps. Unfortunately, the RM85xx series fridges are SN rated.

Lastly, I'm not surprised that the Norcold rep didn't know what a climate class rating was. Unless their fridges are sold in Europe, the class rating is not needed.
How true! It amazes me how many people in the business don't know about class ratings.
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #47

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Norcold is sold in Europe, and their European models are climate rated. See: https://www.dropbox.com/s/doc3607ag8...3-V05.pdf?dl=0
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #48
grc

Trailer: Four Wheel Camper
The EU does care about both energy efficiency and cooling capacity with their system. They don't directly call it cooling capacity but they do specify various holding temperatures for types of refrigerator compartments (see page 41 in the pdf listed above). The manufacturer has to figure and built the cooling capacity to achieve holding temperatures. I could be wrong but that is the way I see their system.

If it is not a cooling unit problem and the cooling unit is capable of dropping to below freezing temperatures inside the refrigerator then the main point for RML8555 problems is what is causing the gas to lose flame or not re-ignite. These controls don't appear to modulate the heat source or even high fire, low fire, but they do go through an intricate check before allowing gas ignition.
grc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
What I don't understand is that the 5 cubic foot fridge in my 19 would freeze lettuce if I turned it down to much and the new 6.7 cubic foot can't keep things cold enough. What did Dometic do different from one to the other. To only thing that I can figure out is they put in a smaller cooling unit and it isn't totally up to the task.
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:40 AM   #50

Trailer: 2014 19'
OK, this is tough to swallow. Seems no one in Dometic, US or Canada, is aware of Climate Class of Refrigerators?? but in Ghana ... in 2006 ...
-----
Energy Consumption in Refrigeration in Ghana, 2006
A comparative study
Appliance labelling
•Model
•Manufacturer’s name or trade mark
•Estimated annual consumption
•Energy efficiency star rating
•Type of refrigerant (refrigerators & air-conditioners)
•Climate class (refrigerators)

Key Things to Remember
•The more BLACK STARS the more EFFICIENT the appliance (Five Star is most efficient)
•The less the ANNUAL ENERGY CONSUMPTION the more EFFICIENT the appliance
•CLIMATE CLASS should be TROPICAL or SUB-TROPICAL
•Label should bear the NAME of MANUFACTURER and TYPE OF REFRIGERATOR

Klem is offline   Reply With Quote