New Fridge Topic: A Different Approach - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc View Post
Look on page 40 of this pdf. It is from 2010 and the low end of the Tropical class might have changed from +16degC to +18degC

http://ec.europa.eu/danmark/document...28_6481_en.pdf
To make this clear for us all, here is the chart from the EU form mentioned by GRC, and referred to by others throughout this thread:
Ambient
Extended temperate SN 10 to 32C (89.6F)
Temperate N 16 to 32C (89.6F)
Subtropical ST 16 to 38C (100.4F)
Tropical T 16 to 43C (109.4F)

I'd like one Tropical one to go, please.

Bill Sonnenburg

Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
So just a word from the original poster.....this is all great information, which I hope will be of value when you call Dometic to express your concerns. For all those who are experiencing difficulty with these fridges, I hope you will call. And for all those contemplating one of these fridges in a future build, why not call Dometic to express your concern and ask them what they are doing to address these problems? We've been extremely fortunate to have Reace, as a manufacture, to lead the charge on this, but there is also power in numbers from consumers and potential consumers. Thank you for considering this approach.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #53

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Norcold is sold in Europe, and their European models are climate rated. See: https://www.dropbox.com/s/doc3607ag8...3-V05.pdf?dl=0
Its a very good point. The thing is, the RM 85xx fridges are primarily for the EU market. Dometic just sells them here too. Norcold is probably set up differently, so their north american reps are not exposed to the EU models or the need for a climate class rating.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
So just a word from the original poster.....this is all great information, which I hope will be of value when you call Dometic to express your concerns. For all those who are experiencing difficulty with these fridges, I hope you will call. And for all those contemplating one of these fridges in a future build, why not call Dometic to express your concern and ask them what they are doing to address these problems? We've been extremely fortunate to have Reace, as a manufacture, to lead the charge on this, but there is also power in numbers from consumers and potential consumers. Thank you for considering this approach.
And thank you for returning us to your original idea, which is a good one. I've been on the horn with various people at Dometic about 6 times in the last several months. My general impression is that climate class ratings are irrelevant or unknown to their reps in North America. So, best approach may be to not even broach that subject. The fridge underperforms, so Dometic, can you help us fix it.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #55

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
To make this clear for us all, here is the chart from the EU form mentioned by GRC, and referred to by others throughout this thread:
Ambient
Extended temperate SN 10 to 32C (89.6F)
Temperate N 16 to 32C (89.6F)
Subtropical ST 16 to 38C (100.4F)
Tropical T 16 to 43C (109.4F)

I'd like one Tropical one to go, please.

Bill Sonnenburg
Me too
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:29 AM   #56

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
I just called Norcold and spoke to one of their tech's to see if I would expect any better results with their product. They have 2 units that would fit through the door - N3104 and N3150. This particular tech has also not heard of climate class ratings.

When I expressed the concerns I am having with their competition, I was put on hold so he could talk it over with his supervisor. He came back with...they recommend when the outside temperature is 80 degrees or up, the a/c needs to be turned on. The smaller the fridge, the better the cooling. That confirmed for me, that there is no benefit to switching to a different manufacturer when right off the bat, they won't make any promises...which I respect the honesty rather than trying to say what needs to be said to get the sale.

Reace
Just had a thought, if small fridges cool better could two 3 cubic foot units be installed one above the other?

Doug
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #57

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Just had a thought, if small fridges cool better could two 3 cubic foot units be installed one above the other?
I think this makes sense, both to get enough cooling unit for the volume, and to provide appropriate temperature control for each unit. A single-door refrigerator/freezer can have the freezer compartment removed to become an all-refrigerator; I would want the all-freezer unit to be smaller, and it would probably need to be designed for the purpose (more heat to move per unit of volume).

External venting would be an interesting challenge. That may be one reason that it seems that the approach of separate dedicated units is seen only in compressor-type portable units and high-end home appliances.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #58

The other problems with two 3 footers imho (and yes I've thought of it) are that the use of space is less efficient, there are two cooling units, installation would require framing in a support structure for two instead of one, power consumption and weight is higher than a single unit, and the overall enclosure space would be more than a single 4.7 cf and maybe more than the 6 cf. The advantage would be that you could put frequently used items in one and the lesser used items in the other, which would keep certain items colder and reduce the amount of time the fridges take to get back to temp.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #59

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
I'm seriously looking at the Nova Kool RFU6800 as a replacement for my Dometic 4.3 that has always had marginal cooling performance. The RFU6800 is a 12 volt, 6.8 cuft, 2 door unit (refer on top and freezer on the bottom) with a Danfoss compressor that will fit in the space I currently have my 4.3 and microwave. I have plenty of battery and solar charging capacity to run this unit off the grid, boondocking, even on grey days. Removal of the old unit and installation of the new one will be pretty simple. I also plan to well-insulate the vented area in the back. I like the larger refrigerator with the separate 2.5 cuft freezer door on the bottom for good efficiency. Right now I'm getting quotes; looking for best price and availability. Hopefully this will become reality before Christmas.
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #60

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I'm seriously looking at the Nova Kool RFU6800 as a replacement for my Dometic 4.3 that has always had marginal cooling performance. The RFU6800 is a 12 volt, 6.8 cuft, 2 door unit (refer on top and freezer on the bottom) with a Danfoss compressor that will fit in the space I currently have my 4.3 and microwave. I have plenty of battery and solar charging capacity to run this unit off the grid, boondocking, even on grey days. Removal of the old unit and installation of the new one will be pretty simple. I also plan to well-insulate the vented area in the back. I like the larger refrigerator with the separate 2.5 cuft freezer door on the bottom for good efficiency. Right now I'm getting quotes; looking for best price and availability. Hopefully this will become reality before Christmas.
Please start a new thread and keep us updated via it. I am very interested in doing something similar with my 6.7.

jamman is offline   Reply With Quote