New Fridge Topic: A Different Approach - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #81

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
That doesn't even make sense. I have a call into them now (my second) waiting for a return call or email from them. I'll mention your result when I hear from them or call next....
Please do, I called 1-800-544-4881 talked to the young lady and then her stupidvisor got involved just when I thought you could not possibly find anyone with less knowledge...

Doug
Old 09-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape 21 pick up on 5/26/15.
I have a build sheet due in January for our 21. The problems with the
Domestic refer have me quite worried since we live in south Louisiana where the temps can be in the mid 90s for months at a time, not to mention high humidity. Are there no options other than Dometic? Would would be the point of installing a refer that won't work in temps above 80? Of course, I doubt we would be camping in the summer anywhere around here. But still?

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!
batcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #83

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I know others asking that same question. It's a difficult situation for everyone involved, with few satisfactory answers short of carrying a cooler in hot weather (which we don't consider satisfactory at all). I suggest continuing to talk with ETI and Dometic about it, hoping that there is some resolution soon.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #84

Trailer: Escape 21 pick up on 5/26/15.
We are planning to take a side trip to Chilliwack while visiting our daughter in Boise. I will definetly ask Reace about the issue. Thanks Parker

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!
batcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #85

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Tried another approach, I emailed Dometic and this is how it went.

Hello I am just having a trailer built and have to select a fridge.
Your RML 8555 unit is one of the ones I have to choose from.
Could you please tell me what temperature I could expect inside
the fridge with an outside temperature of 100 degrees F.

Dometic sent back.

Hello Doug,

The acceptable parameters for all our fridges, are as follows;

Freezer compartment - anything 18 degrees or below
Refer compartment - 38 to 44 degrees

Sincerely,
Nikki Clemans

We appreciate this opportunity to address your situation, and hope all your future travels are trouble free. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time, to order parts or if we can be of assistance.

Customer Support Center
800 544 4881
edometic.com
Dometic Corp

This is the response I got from Norcold.

Hello,

There is no way for us to determine that, there are to many variables that come in play with high ambient temperatures. The unit should maintain temps between 32-42 degrees at normal operations. Just make sure that is it installed properly based upon the installation service manual for this unit.

Thank You

Vincent
Consumer Service
Thetford Corp/Norcold Inc

Well this kind of leaves a guy wondering what to do...

Its good to know Reace is working on this, as they seem to actively work with him to solve this problem, I for one think any of our questions/requests are just not taken seriously.

Doug
Old 09-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #86

Based on that, I would expect Dometic fridges to maintain 44 F or below in the fridge on 100 degree days. Perfect! If only they did that.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #87

I just called Dometic (third time) and happened to catch Holly again (original person I talked with there). She still had the details of my original complaint and continues to promise to bring this to the attention of her supervisor. I read Doug's email to her, which didn't get much response. I said we would all love to see such performance, but on the contrary there are a lot of people here on the Forum who don't see anything like that. It seems to matter that I took the fridge in once for an attempt at warranty service and that they installed a fan as part of the attempted cure. I'll give this a couple of more days and then call and ask to speak to the supervisor directly.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #88

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
My mother used to write letters to the heads of the organizations that displeased her. It was amazing the number of positive responses she received! The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #89

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
My mother used to write letters to the heads of the organizations that displeased her. It was amazing the number of positive responses she received! The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Yes and with free airtime there is no reason not to oil the machine....
Old 09-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #90

The problem is Dometic is owned mostly by banks:

New Ownership Structure for Dometic

Dometic Group has reached an agreement regarding a new ownership structure and financing

Dometic’s majority owner – BC Partner – and a bank consortium led by Mizuho have reached an agreement with the result that the Dometic Group will have a new ownership structure. The bank consortium will be the principal owner with 70 percent of the shares. The agreement will significantly lower Dometic’s debt and interest expenses. With the decision on ownership and financing, the Group’s future existence and competitiveness is guaranteed.

The agreement means that Dometic’s net debt will be reduced from about SEK 13 billion to about SEK 8 billion. At the same time, interest expense will decline by 70 percent from SEK 750 M to SEK 250 M on an annual basis. Dometic will also obtain an expanded credit facility of SEK 400 M for more aggressive market investments.

The banks will become the principal owners with 70 percent of the shares. Dometic’s management and other key personnel, totaling some 100 persons, will own 25 percent, and representatives from the Board of Directors will own 5 percent. Over time, a new Board of Directors will be appointed with representatives from industry, banks, employee organizations and Dometic’s management. A representative from the industry will act as Chairman.

Dometic has been severely affected by the global recession. At the same time, the Group’s debt has been too high. The caravan and motor home industry, as well as the leisure boat industry, have reduced production by between 30 and 50 percent. That had a severe impact on Dometic and forceful measures were required to adapt the Group’s costs to the prevailing market climate. Over the past year, costs were reduced by about 35 percent.

Despite this totally changed market situation, Dometic’s business is profitable. For the period from January to June 2009, sales amounted to slightly more than SEK 3.5 billion (4.9), and operating profit before depreciation was SEK 327 M (818). Dometic reported a positive cash flow from operations after tax of SEK 118 M (243) and had nearly SEK 1 billion in cash and cash equivalents.

“Dometic is fundamentally an excellent company with completely unique market positions won through technical advances and excellent customer relations. Through this reconstruction, Dometic’s management will once again be able to concentrate wholeheartedly on further developing the business, nurturing partnerships with customers and expanding the company,” says Dometic’s President and CEO Fredrik Möller.

In addition, the new prerequisites contribute to the plans for a future exchange listing becoming possible within a few years.

For further information, please contact:
Rutger Wachtmeister, Marketing Director, Dometic Holding AB
Mobile: +46 703 24 20 46

And to add insult to injury:

Dometic Group Signs Purchase Agreement with Atwood Mobile Products LLC

Stockholm, Sweden and Elkhart, Ind. USA– Sept 9, 2014 – Dometic Group, a global leader of leisure products for the recreational vehicle (RV), marine, truck and automotive-based industries, today announced that it has signed an exclusive purchase agreement with Elkhart, Ind.-based Atwood Mobile Products, LLC, a global provider in designing, engineering and manufacturing appliances and hardware for the RV, On-/Off-Highway and Marine industries for over 50 years. This acquisition will complement and further diversify Dometic’s existing product offerings and strengthen the company’s global footprint.
“The key rationale behind this important acquisition is that it will expand our product range offered to our North American and global customers,” said Roger Johansson, President and CEO of Dometic Group. “With Atwood as part of our Group, we will be able to offer high quality water heaters, ventilation technology, windows and doors, innovative furnaces, and more – products which have not been included in our present North American offering.”
Atwood’s primary markets are North America and Australia. The company has 775 employees and annual sales of approximately $200 million.
“Atwood has a strong set of offerings and a reputation for providing high quality products and accessories.” says Frank Marciano, President of Dometic Americas. “Combined, we will be able to offer our global customers a great complement to our current range, access to our global exceptional service teams and ultimately greater value.”
Tim Stephens, CEO and President of Atwood Mobile Products, added: “With Dometic, we have found a partner that gives us more growth opportunities in the markets we serve. Together, we will be able to offer a full range of complementary appliances and equipment that will enhance our customers’ comfort when away from home.”
Dometic Group’s global revenue, on a rolling 12 months, after the acquisition will amount to approximately $1,400 million and the number of employees will increase to 7,200. Terms of the potential acquisition were not disclosed. The acquisition is pending governmental regulatory review.
For information about Dometic Group, please visit http://www.dometicgroup.com
Read more about Atwood Mobile Products at http://www.atwoodmobile.com/

You could always contact this person:

Elaine Beckley
Retail Customer Service Supervisor
Dometic Corporation
9100 Shelbyville Rd Ste 120
Louisville, KY 40222-5182
Tel: (574) 294-2511
www.dometicusa.com

Last updated on 2014-07-14

Or this guy:

Doug Whyte President, Dometic Corporation Americas doug.whyte@dometic.com

based on the formatting of the email I would bet Elaine.Beckley@dometic.com would get you to her just saying.
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #91

Appears Dometic just went thru a "Restructuring" aka Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #92

Yeah Jim with your background you could figure that mess out way better then I or others most likely could.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #93

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
And to add insult to injury:

Dometic Group Signs Purchase Agreement with Atwood Mobile Products LLC
I don't see this as particularly bad. The Atwood and Dometic lines are relatively complementary, and being able to offer every product an RV manufacturer needs from one source is a competitive advantage that might make some RV manufacturers insist that none of the products in the line cause customer relations issues (rather than just going to another source for the problematic appliance).

If you really want to talk to the one person in charge, you're not going to be dealing with large corporations, and I suspect that only a large corporation can economically build appliances.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #94

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Question Is Fridge issue with AC plugged in

I am curious (and possible worried) , we are taking delivery on an Escape 21 in Nov 2014.
Is this fridge issue an issue when stopped and plugged into AC , or just an issue when towing using DC or gas?. The 21 comes with the Domestic 6.7 fridge. We had a 4 cu ft Domestic in our Casita and it always worked fine on site. It was always off during towing.
Thanks
Bruce
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #95

Generally, it happens with any source of power, although there may be a slight advantage to 120V, when it's available, as it eliminates the propane combustion exhaust as a source of extraneous heat. When towing, it seems like there may be an advantage with 12V, since something seems to be interfering with the propane as a source of heat to drive the process. The thinking is that too much air is entering the lower vent while underway (speculation at this point). Unfortunately, 12V has limitations in terms of operating the fridge and keeping the Escape battery charged simultaneously.

Please consider expressing your concerns to Dometic.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #96

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I found I had the same issue, to a slightly lesser degree, when on 12V. I have no 120 back when towing so I don't know about that source. The problem only occurs when moving. At least to me.

At this point we make due with a good cooler for milk and cream on the hot traveling days. Not a big thing, but then we live in the north.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:20 AM   #97

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... To a lesser degree( pun intended) we are experiencing the same performance level of the 6.7 refer. I found that with the power vent in the bathroom left up... the venting of the trailer while travelling helped a little. We also found 12V. solar a preferred way to cool on the road. Some how the refer is almost always on the sunny side of the street.
Seems that while stationary the fridge will cool to 34-36*'s on propane/120V. On the road 41-44*. This is the best it can do on max 5 bars...even in cooler temps. This was with the freezer removed and also in place!!!
I guess we'd better register the warranty, for what it's worth, as we might have to pay a visit to our local Dometic tech.
I did add some extra black foam insulation around the lower vent cover to direct the air flow into the vent via the upward directing slots. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030873.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #98
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by batcat View Post
I have a build sheet due in January for our 21. The problems with the
Domestic refer have me quite worried since we live in south Louisiana where the temps can be in the mid 90s for months at a time, not to mention high humidity. Are there no options other than Dometic? Would would be the point of installing a refer that won't work in temps above 80? Of course, I doubt we would be camping in the summer anywhere around here. But still?
Our build sheet is due on 1 December. ETI just sent us the reminder email.

San Antonio is hot too, so we've been concerned and following all the fridge threads closely. I'll be flying out to ETI next Thursday to tour the trailers, finalize our build sheet, and yes -- deal with the fridge issue. We will not have an SN rated fridge put into a brand new 30k trailer that will be used in hot climates. That just doesn't make sense. I have a number of options working, but I have to address this with ETI directly before I know which ones we'll take. I will definitely keep the forum posted of any decisions/resolutions we come up with. Expect an update by COB next Friday.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #99

I do not know if this makes any difference to air flow while on propane but after looking at Alf's pictures I realized he has no bug screening attached to the refer vent. I do and I have no issue with the propane staying on nor operating while under tow. Perhaps the screening helps diffuse any turbulence created by the lower vent? something to ponder.........?
Old 10-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #100

Jim, is your screen on the lower vent, or are you referring to the one beneath the upper vent?