New Fridge Topic: A Different Approach - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #101

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Jim, is your screen on the lower vent, or are you referring to the one beneath the upper vent?
The lower vent, where the flame is located.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #102

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Interesting! Since Alf's photo also showed the upper vent cap (which has a course screen beneath it) I wanted to be sure. So your lower vent cover has a screen across it, as supplied from ETI or Dometic? I would love to find out that a simple piece of screen wire across the vent would calm things down enough for the propane to work better under tow. How course is the mesh? Can you post a picture sometime?
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #103

It is some screen I had lying around the house, I may have posted it under my modifications to BlackJack thread, I'll look. Found some pictures....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1762.jpg   DSCN1763.jpg  
Old 10-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #104

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Interesting! Since Alf's photo also showed the upper vent cap (which has a course screen beneath it) I wanted to be sure. So your lower vent cover has a screen across it, as supplied from ETI or Dometic? I would love to find out that a simple piece of screen wire across the vent would calm things down enough for the propane to work better under tow. How course is the mesh? Can you post a picture sometime?
Hi: Parker... I had a secondary issue with the upper vent cap. The debris screen is very coarse about 3/4" X 3/4".
I have heard of some people using a layer of frame less hammock style furnace filter material W/ zip ties...but I have also seen blackened siding on a slide in camper from a fire, possibly from improper ventilation!!! Aluminium screening would be better IMHO. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #105

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Good morning Parker . Just got off the phone with Dometic as I promised . Have another for us to call (954)6333155 to talk to Woshiann who heads I think she said Attwood who we could voice our concerns to about our issues . I will later but need to get going right now .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Good morning Parker . Just got off the phone with Dometic as I promised . Have another for us to call (954)6333155 to talk to Woshiann who heads I think she said Attwood who we could voice our concerns to about our issues . I will later but need to get going right now .
Excellent! Thanks. I plan to call tomorrow (my fourth call) and start working my way up the chain.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
H
I have heard of some people using a layer of frame less hammock style furnace filter material W/ zip ties...but I have also seen blackened siding on a slide in camper from a fire, possibly from improper ventilation!!! Aluminium screening would be better IMHO.
Hi Alf,

So it looks like Jim's screen installation would be a good starting point. I'm also hesitant to block too much air flow. It's hard to know how much is enough or too much.

I think I've contributed to hijacking my own thread. It's SO easy to start grasping for fixes!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #108

Quote:
Hi Alf,

So it looks like Jim's screen installation would be a good starting point. I'm also hesitant to block too much air flow. It's hard to know how much is enough or too much.

I think I've contributed to hijacking my own thread. It's SO easy to start grasping for fixes!
Make sure you use metal, not nylon screen, the type you need metal shears to cut.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #109

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I plan to try the screen method as soon as I can get to a hardware store. I have been successfully using a furnace filter but a bit worried about amount of filtering it does over the lower refrigerator opening and what sort of flammability it might have. We are traveling so it will be put to the test soon.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #110

Hi: All... Today I moved the thermistor senser off the fin assembly and located it on the top wire shelf at the end of its wire. This may or may not give the refer a different outlook on the temp in the box.
I haven't contacted Dometic about the * or lack there of, of cooling capacity. I'm trying to pacify my love of a mystery first!!! Alf
Old 10-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #111

Trailer: 2014 19'
It's in a 6.7 -- Here is a picture of the best thermistor location I have found 'to date'. It was explained to me that if you are too far away your temperatures will vary because the thermistor is 'decoupled' from the fins.

I simply unscrewed the thermistor mount and jammed it under the drain chute. The blue tape is where I bared the wires to track changes with a volt/ohm meter.

I have found I can run our frig 1 power level lower with good stability.

Mel K
Attached Thumbnails
thermistor moved crop.jpg  
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #112

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Here is a picture of the best thermistor location I have found 'to date'. It was explained to me that if you are too far away your temperatures will vary because the thermistor is 'decoupled' from the fins.

I simply unscrewed the thermistor mount and jammed it under the drain chute. The blue tape is where I bared the wires to track changes with a volt/ohm meter.

I have found I can run our frig 1 power level lower with good stability.

Mel K
4.3 or 6.7 refer ?
Old 10-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #113

Hi: Klem... Thanks!!! I'm trying a few locations in the same area. So far I placed the sensor beside the wire of the shelf. I have some two sided tape to attach the plastic housing when I find the "Sweet spot".
We're in for 6 rainy days so I can chill out to my hearts content. Alf
Old 10-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #114

Just a few thoughts about the idea of moving the thermistor....As long as the ambient temperature is lower than the threshold at which the cooling system is inadequate, moving the thermistor may indeed result in the same amount of cooling for a lower setting on the control panel. That's not really accomplishing much. It's like putting an ice cube on a thermostat to make the furnace come on, only in reverse. In fact, I'm pretty sure you could take wire cutters to the thermistor so its resistance goes to infinity, the result being that the control system will call for maximum cooling forever. The fundamental problem of an undersized cooling system for higher ambient temperature remains, however.

So while you're chilling out with 6 days of rain, consider calling Dometic or Atwood!
Old 10-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #115

Hi: Parker... Seems like we are all on the carousel together. Everyone is on a different horse and all we know is we're going nowhere fast!!! I appreciate that Dometic needs to know of the plight of RM8XXX owners but in their present position I certainly wouldn't expect miracles.
In Harrisburg PA. last weekend I saw a RML8555 in CW. so they're still avail. for sale and being used for all RV's. where they fit. Alf
Old 10-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Parker... Seems like we are all on the carousel together. Everyone is on a different horse and all we know is we're going nowhere fast!!! I appreciate that Dometic needs to know of the plight of RM8XXX owners but in their present position I certainly wouldn't expect miracles.
In Harrisburg PA. last weekend I saw a RML8555 in CW. so they're still avail. for sale and being used for all RV's. where they fit. Alf
Hi Alf,

I couldn't agree more about getting nowhere fast! I'm sure they're going to keep selling the RML8555; unfortunately, with predictable results for a lot of folks. Not that I'm getting discouraged or anything....
Old 10-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #117

Quote:
Just a few thoughts about the idea of moving the thermistor....As long as the ambient temperature is lower than the threshold at which the cooling system is inadequate, moving the thermistor may indeed result in the same amount of cooling for a lower setting on the control panel. That's not really accomplishing much. It's like putting an ice cube on a thermostat to make the furnace come on, only in reverse. In fact, I'm pretty sure you could take wire cutters to the thermistor so its resistance goes to infinity, the result being that the control system will call for maximum cooling forever. The fundamental problem of an undersized cooling system for higher ambient temperature remains, however.

So while you're chilling out with 6 days of rain, consider calling Dometic or Atwood!
Actually using an adjustable thermistor, or moving it, is and effective way to raise/lower the box temperature. I purchased an adjustable thermistor that was the wrong resistance for the 8 series refrigs. I called the company and they suggested I move it up/down/away to raise the temperature of the box but not far enough that it 'decouples' and the temp varies.

The cooling unit has more capacity to cool then with the current fixed resistor, so I am getting additional cooling at a lower power setting.

If you look at Dometic Service Manuals for earlier models they have a section on moving the thermistor up/down or to the left to adjust the temperature. The 8 series has a fixed resistor so moving it is a valid way to adjust the temperature.

Check this out, the 'sliding thermistor' replacement.

But don't buy this adjustable thermistor if you have the 8 series, it's the wrong resistance.

Mel
Old 10-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #118

Hi Mel,

I'm not yet convinced. A different thermistor, or location, may increase cooling for a given setting on your panel, but I really doubt that there is any extra cooling available to solve the problem on really hot days. If this works for you, and you get plenty of cooling when it's well over 85 degrees outside, let us know, and I'll buy Alf a new thermistor!

Parker
Old 10-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #119

Well Parker you have me over the barrel... So to speak. We won't see 85 degrees unless the house is on fire!

Going south in February so we'll see then ... But hopefully there will be an x20 cooling unit hanging on back of this 6.7

Mel
Old 10-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #120

Hi: Klem... The fridge is cooling rapidly at 20*C. today. Empty refer at 20C* door open, turned on at 2:30 w/ thermistor set on wire rack in right rear corner. Temp in the box at 6:30 4*C. Running 120V on 5 bars. I'll check it tomorrow and adjust to lower setting where necessary.
Parker... The proof in the pudding will be in Feb. when we get to Florida. At least if we need a new refer CW will have another one!!! I'm trying as much as I can to keep my cool.
Question still remains...Why does the temp in the refer climb so high when we're towing? Alf