New Fridge Topic: A Different Approach - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
New Fridge Topic: A Different Approach

As I have described in anguishing detail in a couple of other threads, we have the rather disappointing RML8555 6.7 cu. ft. installed in our 2013 Escape 19. Today I visited the RV dealership where I took the Escape this spring for an attempt at warranty service on the fridge. I described our continuing issues: does not cool well above 80F and does not cool well while towing even at 70F, and mentioned that this seems to be a common issue with many of these fridges. The RVs they sell are equipped with Atwood and Norcold fridges, and they were not aware of the Dometic issues. They suggested that I call Dometic directly to discuss the problem and to get the issue into their system. So I did.

The person I talked with (Holly) was very cordial, but did not seem to be aware of problems with the 8XXX series. She placed me on hold while doing a little real-time research. She then asked what was done under the original warranty service (backside fan) and whether or not it helped (did not). She promised to investigate further and email me of her findings. I asked if it would be helpful for others to call to describe their problems with the 8XXX series fridges, and she said it would. More callers will likely get more serious attention from Dometic.

Should you be so inclined, and I hope you will be if you own one of these units, here are the numbers to call at Dometic: 800.544.4881 and 574.294.2511. I called the 2511 one. There were seven callers ahead of me, but it was only a few minutes wait. Have your serial number ready (sticker inside the fridge).

I know Reace is doing what he can to help, but I think a little direct communication between owners and Dometic can't hurt, and serves to document individual instances of poor fridge performance in case there is some future adjustment of some sort.

I will post whatever I get back via email from Dometic.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 19'
I had a string of emails with them and it was supposed to be forwarded to an application engineer. The trail went cold, have not heard back.

That was around the time Donna suggested we ' chill' (pun intended) and wait to hear from Reace. I searched the forum the other day thinking I might have missed something from Reace and considered PMing Donna as I found nothing new in my search. Maybe we have missed something??

I'll resend the emails if there is no news, was waiting til after the Dometic folks got back from Holidays a while ago.

Thanks for relighting the torch on this.

Mel
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
There is always strength in numbers, particularly when one mentions posting problems using online forums. Marketing dept will push the complaints up the ladder......engineering will be prodded to fix things. Happened to me when I was a design engineer.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We will call tomorrow !
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We will call tomorrow !
Great! Thank you! Please let us know if you learn anything new/interesting.

Parker
Old 09-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
With our trailer 11 months off, hopefully this will all be solved by then. Really not so sure if we want that bigger fridge in the 21 anyway. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I hope that Dometic is capable of associating similar trouble calls regarding the same model, but have no way to know if this is true. Ideally the additional calls will add information and reinforce the need for resolution; however, if they are not coordinated they may just dilute the technical resources available.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #8

I sent the email string to Dometic again.

My "Subject" is :
"Availability of RML 8555 RV Refrigerator in Climate Class T"

This person has answered a few times and says the question was turned over to an Application Engineer ....

Erin Rager

We appreciate this opportunity to address your situation, and hope all your future travels are trouble free. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time, to order parts or if we can be of assistance.
Customer Support Center
800 544 4881
edometic.com
Dometic Corp
Old 09-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Parker,
Thanks for the phone numbers I will also give them a call.

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #10

I emailed Reace for an update. He said he was sorry to report no news at this time.

So hopefully we can get someone at Dometic to clue us in on what's up??

Mel K
Old 09-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I emailed Reace for an update. He said he was sorry to report no news at this time.

So hopefully we can get someone at Dometic to clue us in on what's up??

Mel K
Hi Mel. Thanks for the update. I hope a few more voices can indeed do something to help spur Dometic into some sort of action.

Parker
Old 09-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
As an outsider not owning one of these fridges, I must say that this approach of having everyone contact Dometic, just might be what is needed to light a fire under their butts. I don't doubt they could solve it, but need to understand how widespread the problem is.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #13

Called today as promised was given the runaround Said I needed to use the warranty which I would have to pay for service call and if he found the refrig is working which it is for a s/n pay for his time . Also put it back on the manufacturer of trailer saying it was their fault to put this frig in . By now I am fuming I said you are responsible to inform manufacturer what is needed for different climates it is your product you are selling . It went on longer but we will be calling again. I told them this is my 3 rd refrigerator. This one is not working . They know I am calling about a Escape trailer and my name .
Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Man, that has to be frustrating. I hate poor customer service like that. I would be tempted to be as annoying as possible to them, until they get the point.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #15

Will contact them again Jim . Hope others join in .
Old 09-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Called today as promised was given the runaround Said I needed to use the warranty which I would have to pay for service call and if he found the refrig is working which it is for a s/n pay for his time . Also put it back on the manufacturer of trailer saying it was their fault to put this frig in . By now I am fuming I said you are responsible to inform manufacturer what is needed for different climates it is your product you are selling . It went on longer but we will be calling again. I told them this is my 3 rd refrigerator. This one is not working . They know I am calling about a Escape trailer and my name .
That's just ugly. The person I talked with was much more receptive, but I had already been down the warranty road. It would be good to try to get the service person out on a really hot day, but we may be getting too late in the year now. Too bad the service shops can't simulate hot day conditions. Thanks for calling, and I hope you do keep after them. I haven't heard back yet from my call. I'll give them another day or so and then call again.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #17

That's why my approach is to just say I need to buy a climate class T RML8555 unit.

I am too familiar with manufacturers that spin you around and around until you give up. I don't give up.

One line I use when calling customer service is say '"if I yell at you who do you send me to?"

"Please send my call to them ... I have a heart problem and would be yelling at you now. But it's not good for our health" they always send me up the line.

Good luck. We need to crack these nuts.

Mel
Old 09-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #18

Don't worry will call again on Monday and call the other number and hope to get someone else . This just lit our fire .
Old 09-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Great subject line Klem. I might change it to "8 series fridges available in climate class T", since the RM 8551 and RM 8555 are not available with that rating.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Great subject line Klem. I might change it to "8 series fridges available in climate class T", since the RM 8551 and RM 8555 are not available with that rating.
Yes, anything to find the chink in their armor!

Living in the northwest if I say my refrig is a wimp they will send me to Tacoma to have a warranty check .. and it will work fine now that the weather is in it's operating range.

So I'm trying to get them to sell me a T rated refrigerator, because I want one, hoping 'sales' will see the $$$ and help me ...

Mel