New Mac. One less reason for an inverter - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #21

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We still have three SE iPhones and Apple still supports them with the latest updates and recently with battery swaps under their settlement. They are supposed to release a small lower price SE type model this spring, if not we won’t be going to stay with iPhones, just too big.
Agree Greg, phones at least the current crop of "smart phones" are too big which is why I have stayed with my SE model for so long and as long as it continues to serve my needs, I will continue to use it even if Apple at some point in time ceases to support it. My wife has an iPhone 5c model that has not been supported for several years now but continues to work well.
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I had a Dr appt last week with a leading neurovascular Dr. He went to show me something on his phone and he had an iPhone 3. Said it still worked fine and he didn’t want another phone. Didn’t know that you could still get one of those to work any of the providers.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
The iPhone SE was discontinued by Apple on September 12, 2018. While it will continue to operate the IOS will not update to the latest version. Not all bad, the issue will come from apps, at some point they will either update automatically or require an update to continue their operation. Then the user will discover they cannot update and that feature will not be available.

That said, there are many users who own smart phones and never use the smart features such as maps, weather, news or heaven forbid; internet banking. They need a key pad to dial and a button to push for answering. Nothing more. Obsolescence does not apply.

I have had to retire numerous phones and iPads because I want to read a newspaper when traveling. In trying to repurpose them I became quickly frustrated at finding apps that would still work. That said I just retired a 5+ year old iPhone 6+, today I installed a security app and using the camera want to try to confirm the damn neighborhood deer are eating my evergreens. Wish me luck! The big question is “then what”?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
All of our iPhone SE’s updated to the latest operating system and are currently on 13.3 so it definitely still updates fine.
The iPad mini did not get the 13 update so it is on a limited life span.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We manage quite well without an inverter, don't use the MacBook that much in the trailer anyway and just use a 140 watt inverter to charge. As for coffee grinding we use a Braun electric grinder and if boondocking I just start the truck and grind for 30 seconds using the otherwise useless 400 watt inverter that came with the truck. Now I know climate alarmists would be aghast at using fossil fuels to grind coffee but I could point out that fact that we've used this same grinder for 45 years, it's not throwaway like most modern appliances!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I got a USB C 12V charger but haven't had the chance to try it yet. (For my MacBook.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
I agree with your comment re iPhone SE size, however I do not agree that the SE model is no longer supported by Apple, please explain how your SE is not supported by Apple.
Yikes, that was over a year ago! I reckon the smallest phone you can get now is an 8...but my SE still updates the iOS when called for and still fits in my pocket. If updates = support, then I’m still good! Been hoping for another small form factor phone, but at this point it’s only been rumors....
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
So far I haven't been able to find a 12V supply that will fully power my 2019 MacBookPro. It does have the high power video card. It uses a 95 watt AC power supply, and while I've found this that called itself a 90 watt power supply, it does not keep up when using the computer, switching off & on. It will charge it when in the sleep mode...
Old 01-24-2020, 01:09 AM   #29

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
I’d like to bring this thread all the way around to the original post which pointed out that newer Mac laptops that charge via USB-C ports can be easily charged from 12 volt DC sources, such as Escape trailer battery systems, without the use of a DC to AC inverter. Charging without the need for an inverter saves the cost of an inverter and the battery-depleting inefficiencies inherent in every inverter.

This is important because previous Mac laptops used the magnetically-attached MagSafe connector introduced in 2006 that were charged with a power adapter that needed 120 volts AC, requiring an inverter to provide the proper current for the power adapter. While it is true that some folks (myself included) were able to find a third-party adapter on eBay or Amazon that ran on 12 volts, many adapter were cheaply made, didn’t follow Apple charging parameters, and didn’t work with many Apple laptops that were built in the few years before the last MagSafe laptops were officially retired by Apple in 2019.

I suggest that anyone with a newer MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air using USB-C charging take a look at the Wirecutter web site for a current selection of USB-C chargers that can plug directly into 12V outlets installed in Escape trailers: <https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-car-charger/>. This particular link is also good for folks who are looking to charge the older USB-A devices, particularly cell phones.

For people who have an older laptop that requires 120V AC to power their laptop’s power adapter, you might want to take a look at this Wirecutter link: <https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-portable-ac-power-supply-so-far/>. The battery-operated devices reviewed there have built-in inverters to power the 120V devices. They’re not cheap and have somewhat limited capacity, but they’re portable for people who need an inverter but don’t want to be tied down inside their trailer for power.

More and more laptops, cell phones, tablets, and other devices are switching to the USB-C charging standard. So it’s a good idea to be ready with an adapter for when you need one.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:22 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've kinda given up. I did buy a 12V charger for my 2012 MacBook Air, but then replaced it with a new 2018 MacBook Air, which requires a different charger, or at least cord.

Had a look at the link, looked the item up on Best Buy Canada ( I have a $130 gift card ) and found a charger for MacBook Pro.
For the few times I need it, I'm just going to plug my 120V charger into my $9.99 inverter or stop annoying my wife by logging into this forum.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:35 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
I've got to admit - and I realize everybodys different (thats why we have options to pick from ha), but if we order a new 5.0ta or 23ft-er, I am strongly leaning towards NO inverter. Why complicate things and for what? A bag of microwave popcorn?
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Cherie View Post
I've got to admit - and I realize everybodys different (thats why we have options to pick from ha), but if we order a new 5.0ta or 23ft-er, I am strongly leaning towards NO inverter. Why complicate things and for what? A bag of microwave popcorn?
Welcome to the non inverter converter club.....
Old 01-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Everybody camps a little differently. We have not had an inverter in either of our Escapes and don’t miss them. We have had inverters in both of our Highlanders and never used them. I do have an adapter that allows me to plug my air pump in for my minnow bucket but Rita doesn’t like the thought of setting in the back seat while the minnies ride in the front. I use rechargeable batteries in the pump instead or hook it up to the 12v side.
Iowa Dave

We
Old 01-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeEZ View Post
I’d like to bring this thread all the way around to the original post which pointed out that newer Mac laptops that charge via USB-C ports can be easily charged from 12 volt DC sources, such as Escape trailer battery systems, without the use of a DC to AC inverter. Charging without the need for an inverter saves the cost of an inverter and the battery-depleting inefficiencies inherent in every inverter.

This is important because previous Mac laptops used the magnetically-attached MagSafe connector introduced in 2006 that were charged with a power adapter that needed 120 volts AC, requiring an inverter to provide the proper current for the power adapter. While it is true that some folks (myself included) were able to find a third-party adapter on eBay or Amazon that ran on 12 volts, many adapter were cheaply made, didn’t follow Apple charging parameters, and didn’t work with many Apple laptops that were built in the few years before the last MagSafe laptops were officially retired by Apple in 2019.

I suggest that anyone with a newer MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air using USB-C charging take a look at the Wirecutter web site for a current selection of USB-C chargers that can plug directly into 12V outlets installed in Escape trailers: <https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-car-charger/>. This particular link is also good for folks who are looking to charge the older USB-A devices, particularly cell phones.

For people who have an older laptop that requires 120V AC to power their laptop’s power adapter, you might want to take a look at this Wirecutter link: <https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-portable-ac-power-supply-so-far/>. The battery-operated devices reviewed there have built-in inverters to power the 120V devices. They’re not cheap and have somewhat limited capacity, but they’re portable for people who need an inverter but don’t want to be tied down inside their trailer for power.

More and more laptops, cell phones, tablets, and other devices are switching to the USB-C charging standard. So it’s a good idea to be ready with an adapter for when you need one.
Neither the "Our Pick" or "Budget Pick" devices at the Wirecutter link you provided is a power supply - they are batteries that are designed to be recharged with 120V AC.

In both cases, according to the specifications, while rated at 100 watts or so, you cannot pull 100 watts from one USB C connector, so they will not act as a charger/power supply for a MacBookPlus that draws 95 watts. Some of the Amazon reviews point out that the Mophie Power Station does not power their MacBookPro (which does draw more current than the Air or other Mac portables).

It appears to be the same power ratings as the 12V power supply I linked to in my previous post. While it will recharge a MacBookPro if it is not being used (in the sleep mode or shut down), but does not supply enough current to allow operation of a MacBookPro with the Radeon Pro Video card.

I'm still looking for a 12 volt, 95 watt USB C power supply...