New style screen door - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2016, 05:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
New style screen door

With Escape now installing the bigger and better, but flatter exterior door, there have been a lot of pro/con comments about it and the screen door.
Having owned and used one in the past I can point out several plus features of the door and screen door. It is insulated as is the window is also thermal. The window is bigger than the older style. Since it is now a flat opening, the gaskets will seal better.

The screen door has a sliding panel which must be opened to access the outside door. There are modifications where it can be changed to a release mechanism. For those with pets, pet screens can be attached easily. But the best part is having the ability to install plexiglass panels so that in the shoulder seasons you can leave the door open and keep your heat inside. You can do this with the a/c if you wish to keep the panels on year round. Sort of like an interior storm door.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Interesting, thanks for that info, cpaharley.

I saw a video where someone installed that plastic stuff that gets heated to seal it better during winter time on their screen door. I wasn't aware you could put in panels. Do you have any links to this type of screen door and with panels in it? It'd be great to see photos.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But the best part is having the ability to install plexiglass panels so that in the shoulder seasons you can leave the door open and keep your heat inside. You can do this with the a/c if you wish to keep the panels on year round. Sort of like an interior storm door.
It's hard for me to see much point to this - is the idea just to let more light in, because the window area of the screen door with panels is much larger than the window in the main door? I think I would rather just have a larger window in the door.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #4

here is the latch mod RV Screen Door Latch Fix | ModMyRV
Old 03-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #5

here is the storm door mod RV Plexiglass Screen Door Replacement | ModMyRV
Old 03-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Do you know what make and model door Escape is using, Jim. I never bothered to look close, but for some reason I am thinking it was not the typical sliding panel to access the latch. I would imagine not all these doors and screens are not made the same.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #7

No I do not, but other than size they all operate the same. In fact I have some sliding panels in my garage from where I replace the opaque sliding lock panel with a clear panel.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #8

Quote:
That looks like exactly the same latch that I upgraded to on my motorhome - "bolt" to striker engagement is much more positive than the original. This mod is not about changing the latch, though, it is about flipping the bit on the main door (which releases the screen door when the main door is closed). I don't think that flip is a good idea, because the latch arm is shaped to ramp up on that bit, and after flipping that bit won't hit the intended ramp... as well as not working as intended to keep the main and screen door together (which is why they had to add magnets).
Old 03-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
I wonder a bit about the person who posted this:
Quote:
The first thing of note is that you want to use Lexan instead of Plexiglass. Lexan is both lighter and less expensive for the same thickness...
Lexan is a brand name of polycarbonate; Plexiglas (there is only one "s") is a brand name of acrylic. Both are available under other brand names, so the local building supply store might not carry those specific brands. No problem so far, just clarification.

Polycarbonate is typically not less expensive than acrylic for the same thickness, and it is only about three percent less dense (lighter for the same thickness), which is obviously negligible.
Lexan polycarbonate sheet @ Home Depot Canada - 0.093" x 32" x 44" C$131.00
Duraplex acrylic sheet @ Home Depot Canada - 0.093" x 32" x 44" C$84.83
Polycarbonate is enough tougher that it seems reasonable to me to use it in a thinner sheet than one would use acrylic; that would make it lighter and would reduce the cost penalty, but it is still not cheaper and lighter for the same thickness.

Yahoo answers are usually marginal, but the one linked by this mod page - at least the entries by people who have any clue - confirm the errors in the material information. One source link is dead, the other shows no price difference for a randomly chosen identical size and thickness.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #10

Although they all work fundamentally similarly, details matter, so I would be interested in the actual model as well. I just looked at the Dexter Door website, and the screen door design which they currently offer is better in a couple of ways than the Dexter screen door which I have on my motorhome. With this new one, you don't need to slide open the access panel to open the screen door (although you still need the panel so you can leave it open to reach the main door handle when using the main door).