No Power - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005-17B, 2013 - 5.0, Cabin, 2018-21'
No Power

Hello All,
Its Brett's wife here looking for a bit of help as he is away.
I have company coming and am going to use the new 5.0 as an extra bed. I went to plug in a heater inside the trailer and no power. I have triple checked the connections, (it is a quick connect), there is power from the outside outlet and through the extension cord, the heater works when connected directly to the extension cord. I have checked the breaker panels etc but still no power in the trailer. I do know that it did have power to it before so I'm not sure what changed. I have tried all I know so am looking for thoughts...
Ellen
islandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Ellen,

Work forward from the trailer power source. First, see that power is going to the trailer. You should have something illuminated when power is on. On my 19" it is the microwave display.

Then, open the distribution panel and see of the mail breaker is on. I believe it will be the one at the top. Just reset it to be sure. Then check all of the other breakers and do the same. Many times in situations like yours it is something simple.

One more thought,
make sure the twist lock connection at the trailer is pushed in all the way and twisted to lock it. Twist it clockwise.

Another thought, you may have tripped the breaker in the trailer supplying that outlet if the bed heater overloaded that circuit. That circuit may be shared by the refrigerator or something else. Make sure everything else is off if that breaker was tripped to prevent it from happening again....it pretty hard to diagnose from here!......worse case you can run the extension cord in through one of the windows...just slide the screen back to allow the cord through then close it against the cord when done....just a small gap will remain.

Good luck!

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the input Steve,
Yes it is hard to diagnose over the internet, I was hoping it was simple. :-)
So far I have reset all the breakers, reconnected the quick connection, checked extension cord, etc. There is no power to anything in the trailer. I did open up the bench seat and look at the little black boxes where power comes in. There is a digital display that is flashing various codes... 0A, 60H, E1, PE1, 116

I believe I will need to call the factory tomorrow to get help.

Thanks again
Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Ellen,

Sounds like you have one of the EMS (electrical management system) boxes that control the power input to the trailer when plugged in to shore power or a generator. If that's what it is, those numbers are, in order - 0A - zero amps(meaning there is no current being drawn by the system); 60H (indicates the cycles per second or Hertz of the input power - 60H is correct); E1 and PE1 are error codes - I don't have my manual in front of me but I can go look those up if you want); and the 116 is the input voltage - should be between 110 and 120 so it is fine. This info tells me that you are getting power at least as far as the EMS box. I'm not sure why is isn't getting past that. I'll check my manual and get back to you.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #5

OK, here we go.....The E1 error code means that there is a reverse polarity condition e.g. the white and black wires to the box are reversed. If no one has fiddled with anything since it worked previously, I don't see why this code would show up. The PE1 error code means that the control box has cut all power to the trailer for the above reason. Looks like you will have to find the black box, unplug the trailer from the extension cord, open the box lid and make sure the white and black wires are connected to the proper terminals. They are labeled inside the box.

Another thought, maybe the extension cord you are using is faulty. If it's shorted somewhere, it could cause this error. If all is fine inside the box, try a different extension cord, if you have one.

Let us know the results of your trials.

Doug
Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #6

Thanks Doug,
Will look tomorrow in the light of day.
Ellen
Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
It's also possible that the receptacle in the house that you are plugging into is wired incorrectly. You might try running the extension from a different outlet.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #8

Soooo, it turns out I had 2 faulty extension cords...
I now have power in the trailer, problem fixed and I can camp in the driveway.
Thanks so much for your help.
Ellen
Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
No Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandr View Post
Hello All,
Its Brett's wife here looking for a bit of help as he is away.
I have company coming and am going to use the new 5.0 as an extra bed. I went to plug in a heater inside the trailer and no power. I have triple checked the connections, (it is a quick connect), there is power from the outside outlet and through the extension cord, the heater works when connected directly to the extension cord. I have checked the breaker panels etc but still no power in the trailer. I do know that it did have power to it before so I'm not sure what changed. I have tried all I know so am looking for thoughts...
Ellen
Does your trailer have a battery disconnect switch?
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #10

Glad you got it working, Ellen. Have fun camping in the driveway. We do that too<g>.

Doug
Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Since the weather doesn't seem to be cooperating what so ever here I think a little over nighter either in the driveway or close to home may just have to happen for us as well.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote