No power when plugged into generator - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19'
No power when plugged into generator

So I pulled the trigger on the new Honda EU 2200i yesterday. Fired it up today and when plugged in to the 30 Amp recepticle no power to the camper. It was not on eco mode but made no difference. I followed instructions in Escape manual and turned off appliances, breaker, etc prior to unplugging and plugging in. After plugging back into shore power there is a long delay prior to AC power coming back on up and I had to toggle the battery disconnect. Any ideas? I've never used a generator on this camper so maybe I'm missing something. Thanks!
Wyo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo1 View Post
So I pulled the trigger on the new Honda EU 2200i yesterday. Fired it up today and when plugged in to the 30 Amp recepticle no power to the camper. It was not on eco mode but made no difference. I followed instructions in Escape manual and turned off appliances, breaker, etc prior to unplugging and plugging in. After plugging back into shore power there is a long delay prior to AC power coming back on up and I had to toggle the battery disconnect. Any ideas? I've never used a generator on this camper so maybe I'm missing something. Thanks!
Do you have the installed Progessive Industries surge suppressor? There is a bypass switch which you will need to switch the bypass off in order for the generator to work . It is on the front of the reamote Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
If you have the Progressive Industries EMS, it will shut down the AC connection from most inverter generators because they don't internally connect the neutral to the ground (This is done in a pedestal connection at the campground service entrance). That makes the EMS "think" there is an open ground, and shuts things down. The solution is to make a plug with a connection between the neutral (silver connection) and the ground pin (green, round connection.) Plug it into the other 120V connection on the generator.

As Pat mentioned, you can also use the bypass switch for the EMS, although that removes all the features except surge protection.

As to the delay, that normally happens with the Progressive industries EMS. There is an internal jumper that if set gives a 15 second delay. If left off (open) it is a 115 second delay. I suspect yours is missing the internal jumper. I don't think toggling the 12V disconnect had anything to do with the problem.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I second Jon's approach. Use a N-G bonded Edison plug in the empty receptacle on the generator to bond neutral to ground. That way you can still use the EMS because it senses no open ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Portable-Generator-Neutral-Ground-Bonding-Edison-Plug-NGB.jpg  
Old 05-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you have the Progressive Industries EMS, it will shut down the AC connection from most inverter generators because they don't internally connect the neutral to the ground (This is done in a pedestal connection at the campground service entrance). That makes the EMS "think" there is an open ground, and shuts things down. The solution is to make a plug with a connection between the neutral (silver connection) and the ground pin (green, round connection.) Plug it into the other 120V connection on the generator.

As Pat mentioned, you can also use the bypass switch for the EMS, although that removes all the features except surge protection.

As to the delay, that normally happens with the Progressive industries EMS. There is an internal jumper that if set gives a 15 second delay. If left off (open) it is a 115 second delay. I suspect yours is missing the internal jumper. I don't think toggling the 12V disconnect had anything to do with the problem.
Hi Jon , Didn't work for us . Honda Gen is not a inventor Gen. It is a 26 year old Gen . My brother made me the plug and it didn't"t work . On this Honda maybe if I attached a cable from a grounding area on Gen to trailer frame it might work . Had to bypass surge for it to work . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0284.jpg  
Old 05-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #6

Just in case the plug my brother made for me , I have since purchased a progressive Plug . Don't tell my brother ! Pat
Old 05-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #7

Ok great! Thank you both for your help; I'm back in business. I bypassed the progressive system for now and everything works great. Very simple fix; but as they say "it's much easier to imitate success than invent it"...especially so with these camper systems. I'll plan on making a jumper plug too; once I read your response I remembered reading something about that on a previous post; I'll try searching it and get the specifics. For everyones info: I wasn't able to start the ac unit on high fan/ac. I first had to start the low fan only and then toggle the thermostat to cool; the unit chugged a little and fired right up and has been blowing cold air since. I'm in Luisiana now with shore power so don't need the generator just testing it out... I'm heading back to Wyoming this week and don't anticipate ever needing it there, basically bought it to put in the back of the truck for those "just in case moments". Thanks again I appreciate it!
Old 05-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #8

Perfect, I'll grab that type of plug and add it to the toolbox!
Old 05-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Jon , Didn't work for us . Honda Gen is not a inventor Gen. It is a 26 year old Gen.
The OP has the eu2200i though. Works perfectly with the EMS and bonded plug.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Just in case the plug my brother made for me , I have since purchased a progressive Plug . Don't tell my brother ! Pat
My progressive Plug that my brother doesn't know I bought . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0361.jpg  
Old 05-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
For everyones info: I wasn't able to start the ac unit on high fan/ac. I first had to start the low fan only and then toggle the thermostat to cool; the unit chugged a little and fired right up and has been blowing cold air since.
I’m a little surprised to hear that especially with the new 2200 Honda. Make sure the gen is not in ECO mode when starting the A/C.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #12

I did take it off eco; maybe it was just timing...I'll give it another go when it quits raining; didnt want to get the new generator wet
Old 05-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
I did take it off eco; maybe it was just timing...I'll give it another go when it quits raining; didnt want to get the new generator wet
My guess is the startup amps were a bit high. No biggie however, since you can start the AC on low and then turn it up. According to some RV "experts" we aren't supposed to be able to run the AC at all with a 2000W generator, so there you go.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:04 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I bought the EMS to guard the trailer from unknown power quality at plug-in sites. When I'm on a generator, I have a known good power source, so I bypass the EMS instead of futzing with a plug.

Just don't understand the concern that would drive one to pack a plug.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I bought the EMS to guard the trailer from unknown power quality at plug-in sites. When I'm on a generator, I have a known good power source, so I bypass the EMS instead of futzing with a plug.

Does a generator exhibit a low voltage condition when running out of gas?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Does a generator exhibit a low voltage condition when running out of gas?
Non-inverter gens did; not sure about inverter machines, but it seems logical.

However, even if voltage does decay, there wouldn't be a corresponding surge in amperage available to make up for the total wattage demand on the gen.

Since my non-inverters over the past 35 years did run out of gas and made my boondocking dark without killing any electronics, I don't worry about it when only on a gennie.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Non-inverter gens did; not sure about inverter machines, but it seems logical.

However, even if voltage does decay, there wouldn't be a corresponding surge in amperage available to make up for the total wattage demand on the gen.

Since my non-inverters over the past 35 years did run out of gas and made my boondocking dark without killing any electronics, I don't worry about it when only on a gennie.
Thanks. Might have to test with the Honda EU2000i just to see how the Progressive EMS reacts.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We used the grounding plug on our Wen 2000 on a recent trip and AC ran fine off eco. I believe it did cause our fridge to tank on the last day however. We have never had an issue with our fridge and we had the Gen running several times, then the fridge died and started losing temp. It wouldn’t cool on either Power or propane.
Quit running Gen, left fridge on propane and overnight it regained the cooling back to normal. Not empirical testing, but in the future I’ll force the fridge to stay on propane only if we use Gen. I think something in the switching back n forth between propane and power and using AC draw caused the fridge failure, but just guessing at this point. I have fridge running for a week test in storage to make sure it’s OK.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #19

Quote:

Doesn't make sense IMHO to bypass an integral safety system designed to protect your substantial investments. I made a special plug for our Casita so we'd have all bases covered as far as AC power goes. Just get the little plug and sleep better.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
If I'm just running the generator to charge my batteries do i need a plug? where do I flip the switch to shut off the EMS? or should i buy a plug from progressive industries? what do i plug the plug it into? never used my generator with my trailer but next month I'm camping off grid so just wondering ? I have a Honda 2000. I will not be using micro wave or air so i might be fine without it.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote