No propane through quick connect - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21', 'Moondrop'
No propane through quick connect

We have a 2016 Escape 21, purchased July 2015. It has the quick connect but we have never used it. Now, we just purchased a Weber Q1200 and have converted it for the quick connect.(yes, we took the regulator off the Weber).

We have verified that the Weber works, with small propane tanks. We also verified that it works when attached to the 20lb propane tanks. But, when hubby connected it to the quick connect on the Escape, no propane going to it. (yes, propane tanks turned on, has plenty of propane in it; we checked that the fridge worked with the propane). He also turned the valve on the quick connect.

We leave on an extended trip on Tuesday and would love to figure this out. Any suggestions? Something obvious we missed?

txruby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by txruby77 View Post
We have a 2016 Escape 21, purchased July 2015. It has the quick connect but we have never used it. Now, we just purchased a Weber Q1200 and have converted it for the quick connect.(yes, we took the regulator off the Weber).

We have verified that the Weber works, with small propane tanks. We also verified that it works when attached to the 20lb propane tanks. But, when hubby connected it to the quick connect on the Escape, no propane going to it. (yes, propane tanks turned on, has plenty of propane in it; we checked that the fridge worked with the propane). He also turned the valve on the quick connect.

We leave on an extended trip on Tuesday and would love to figure this out. Any suggestions? Something obvious we missed?
Where did you get the male fitting that you are connecting to the trailer's QD? Is it the ETI supplied hose or did you purchase the msle fitting locally? Could be a high pressure male fitting. It vould be a high pressure fitting. They look the same but are NOT interchangeable.
Another possibility, after connecting, did you flip the lever on the QD to the flow position? I know you said he did but I would check to make sure it was turned all the way.

"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Could it be that opening the valve quickly, with propane quickly filling the empty hose and flowing out through the grill, caused the excess flow safety valve at the tank to shut off?
Old 09-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Based on what you've already said, that the valve is on, and that propane is flowing to the fridge, it can't be the safety check valve from the tanks. There is either an obstruction in the QC line after the split from the main, or the QC line isn't connected at all. I'd start there. Check the junction under the trailer. You can also blow out the QC portion of the line if you have an air compressor. Just be sure to shut off the propane supply before disconnecting any fittings. There is also a slight (very slight) possibility that the valve isn't turning when you open it - just the handle. I've seen that only once though - the nut was loose on the valve and the handle turned but not the valve.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I found out with my Weber, I have to turn on the trailer low propane valve very slowly (versus just flipping it on)
Worked great after I tried that.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:20 AM   #6

We're going to try these options later today.
Thank ya'll for giving us something to look at.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerh View Post
I found out with my Weber, I have to turn on the trailer low propane valve very slowly (versus just flipping it on)
Worked great after I tried that.
That would mean some sort of check valve on the Weber then? (Since the fridge works on propane afterwards it can't be at the tanks).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
This is odd as we have a a WeberQ1000 that we run off the low pressure quick connect port all the time. Just plug in, flip the valve (done fairly fast) and we're good to go.
Cheers
Doug
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #9

The quick connect hose and fittings are from ETI.
Here is what we did. We turned off the propane tanks to the trailer, then very slowly turned them back on. I also moved that yellow plug on the quick connect forward a little to make sure the valve on the line was getting turned fully open. (not sure if hubby had it fully opened). Bottom line, its working now!
Thank you all for taking the time to help me troubleshoot the issue.

Just curious, we leave the propane tanks on all the time, for the fridge when we are driving( we turn off when gassing up) and as a back up if AC power goes out while we are sightseeing. Is that what ya'll do also?
Old 09-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
This is odd as we have a a WeberQ1000 that we run off the low pressure quick connect port all the time. Just plug in, flip the valve (done fairly fast) and we're good to go.
Cheers
Doug
Yeah, that's what threw me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txruby77 View Post
The quick connect hose and fittings are from ETI.
Here is what we did. We turned off the propane tanks to the trailer, then very slowly turned them back on. I also moved that yellow plug on the quick connect forward a little to make sure the valve on the line was getting turned fully open. (not sure if hubby had it fully opened). Bottom line, its working now!
Thank you all for taking the time to help me troubleshoot the issue.

Just curious, we leave the propane tanks on all the time, for the fridge when we are driving( we turn off when gassing up) and as a back up if AC power goes out while we are sightseeing. Is that what ya'll do also?
Glad to hear it was straightened out. Probably just the valve wasn't fully open.