Noise from air conditioner. - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Or, you could sleep in the refrigerator.

baglo
Old 09-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Unless it is ducted like in some of the large motor coaches it is going to be noisy regardless of the brand. The differance between brands is really minimal. We have had the Mach, Carrier, Polar Cub, a previous Dometic and the current Dometic and they are all noisy.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
We would run ours all night when the low was over 90F and the high during the day was 120+.
Holy Bat Crap! I near melted at the mention of those temps. You have wheels on that thing Steve, drag it a little further north during those temps.

I definitely have plans for traveling through the Southern US in the future, but will definitely be planning on doing so at the coolest point of the year.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
Tom, what digital thermostat did Escape use in your trailer.
It's a Dometic stat made for that unit. Our unit has no controls on it. Everything is controlled from the thermostat.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
While most of you are covering you Escapes for the winter, our best local months of camping are just ahead. We have two weather patterns...hot & humid and not so hot!
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
We have two weather patterns...hot & humid and not so hot!
We have four seasons nearly winter, winter, still winter, and a couple months of nice (to us) weather.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #47

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Holy Bat Crap! I near melted at the mention of those temps. You have wheels on that thing Steve, drag it a little further north during those temps.

I definitely have plans for traveling through the Southern US in the future, but will definitely be planning on doing so at the coolest point of the year.
My wife asked me to take a picture of our digital thermometer outside in the shade...it still got a little hotter!

hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Unless it is ducted like in some of the large motor coaches it is going to be noisy regardless of the brand.
If it makes you feel any better, these things are usually still loud even with ducted output, because the unit is still sitting in the same hole right over you in the ceiling. Some motorhomes have the unit mounted in the basement (and ducted on both output and return) - I expect that those are less noisy.

Winnebago previously mounted their TrueAir Residential Central AC in the basement, but this isn't a reason to envy Winnebago owners because we don't have a basement... they now put it on the roof.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
We have four seasons nearly winter, winter, still winter, and a couple months of nice (to us) weather.
Hi: Jim Bennett... Here on the north shore of Lake Erie we have two seasons. Winter and Construction The last week of Aug., along the St. Lawrence river, it was so humid the dew stuck to the underside of the awning, along with the fish flies!!!
Sure it's noisy... but we had to use the A/C unit on low just so we could breathe. So much water ran down the outside of the trailer I thought it was raining. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030382.jpg   P1030378.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:37 AM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:

I'm fortunate to live just outside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park where I can pretty much choose my evening temperatures by the altitude of the campground. My challenge is that my grandchildren live outside Dallas, TX where they have three seasons of hot and one of cold wind. Often, you can see temps in the 90's most of the year there. With the wild swings of temp we have seen over the last few years, I want to have a travel unit that can handle the weather that I encounter on the road. I've spoken to people in North Pole Alaska complaining about temps in the 90's! Add high humidity to high temp and you gotta have air!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Anyone tried slowing down the AC fan speed with a resistor or rheostat switch?
I would think you could find a balance between freezing the coil and less internal fan noise.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The Dometic fan motor draws 2.6 amps at 120v, or a 312 watt load. A rheostat (or resistor) in series with the fan will drop 1/4 the wattage of the load at the worst voltage (60V at the motor & 60 volts at the rheostat). That means you need a 78 watt resistor or rheostat which is fairly large, and could be radiating a fair amount of heat. If you're using non variable resistors to drop lower voltages, you could get away with less wattage, but it is still going to be large.

While I would be concerned with icing as Dave noted since even a 9600BTU AC is often overkill for small fiberglass trailers, if you want to slow down the fan motor, a motor speed control would probably be a better idea, although you need to shop carefully - many of them specifically state they are not for capacitor start or run motors.

Another possibility would be an autotransformer (a Variac, not the RV Autoformer) that can be used to vary AC voltages, however that may cause a starting problem. Of course you would not need the case that is part of the Variac I linked to...
Old 02-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #53
Commercial Member

Trailer: -none-
Mach 8 hush kits

If anyone is still needing to quieten a Coleman Mach 8 A/C you may be interested in a solution that the Casita folks asked us to develop. Full details here: Mach 8 hush kits

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Looking through this thread I can remember this discussion. We ended up with the Polar Cub -- even though it was discontinued -- because Escape had a few left over. I think it was about $300 more and actually one inch higher than Dometic. It worked out really well -- the noise is not an issue and it has cooled down the trailer when we needed it. I wonder if Escape still has some in stock.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #55

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Well, it looks like discussion of Polar Cub is moot since the tech guy just told me it's been completely discontinued and has been replaced with the Mach 8, which someone mentioned, but I couldn't find the comment. The tech guy says it's about the same decibel level inside as the Polar Cub, but it's noisier on the outside.
Casita is using MAX 8 (9,000 BTU, low profile) now with an option for a MAX 1 PS (11,000 BTU, higher profile) on request. MAX 8 being louder outside and quieter inside..the opposite of the MAX 1 PS. With the MAX 8 noise issue for some users/buyers, Casita has tried to substitute the Dometic Penquin II but for whatever reason it does not work in the Casita...just a guess but it might be a mechanical issue like roof profile/size/mounting issue.
The Dometic Penquin II low profile is supposed to be quieter than the previous Penquin and requires less current to run.
Another guess, but as AC units go low profile with redesigned air flow/compressors and refrigerant change (higher pressure)...maybe all AC units are going to get nosier on the outside of the trailer....so eventually when all trailers in campground have the new units the whole place will be noisy and you will not be able to identify the trailer with the newest AC unit Or BRAND by its noise level.
just an opinion and a guess....more technical info or facts would be welcome.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #56

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
If anyone is still needing to quieten a Coleman Mach 8 A/C you may be interested in a solution that the Casita folks asked us to develop. Full details here: Mach 8 hush kits

Cheers,
Jim
MAX 8 noise issue is a mess. While that MAX 8 Hush kit is interesting when considering a Casita , it shows the tough place Casita finds themselves if they cannot use the Dometic Penquin II (which supposedly is quieter) as a substitute. So a new Casita buyer has to pay more to fix a brand new factory MAX 8? Maybe someday Coleman will engineer a better new MAX 9!
Oliver switched from Coleman MAX 8 to Dometic Penquin II too.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote