Noise from air conditioner. - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
For us, the noise level (9/10) from the AC in our 19 makes it unusable at night. I would be looking for a motel if I had to try and sleep with it on. It doesn't strike me a a vibration or mounting problem. It's just a big motor moving a lot of air into a small space. The MaxFan helps move air into and out of the trailer but it doesn't help much if it's over 80 F outside. AND, if I could hear, it would be a really big problem. USAF radios pretty well took care of my ears. I definitely would not get the Dometic unit again. I wasn't aware that I had an option for a smaller quieter AC. Love my Escape, aside from a main door that didn't fit, a water pump that leaked all over, and a refrigerator that can't handle temps over 85-90 F. As focused as Reace and Tami are on a quality product, I would hope they might be looking for options.

lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I see a future road trip back to Chilliwack for a swap.........

Old 09-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
A great excuse to visit BC again. Just need to wait until the blackberries are on. Maybe next year on the way to or from Glacier. Or maybe we should start thinking of a 21.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
So as Terry and I contemplate spending extra for the smaller Coleman polar cub, are we all convinced that it is a big improvement over the Dometic Penguin?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I find it quieter then our Casita was. The Casita had a thump when it came that brought you out of the bed and the Escape is much smoother. The digital thermostat option ($150) is nice because as the temperature gets closer to the set point it automatically switches the unit to low speed fan. Then as the temperature reaches set point it cycles the compressor and fan off. It is also much more accurate and runs the furnace too. We have only spent 2 nights in it so far but ran it both nights and it does make noise (5-6) but no way we would be without it.

Escape will not do the digital option with the Coleman Polar Cub, only on the Dometic.

Our Casita was the Coleman Polar Cub and we were going to go with it until Tammy told me Dometic had made some changes in the unit and it was now a little quieter then before. I like it better then our Casita so far.

They say it is supposed to be able to run on a 2000W generator now also but I don't know about that. Have not tried it.

It looks better too.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #26

So I guess the real question is whether the most recent Dometics are significantly improved. It could be that the 2013 models are now similar or better than the Polar Cub?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #27

Well, it looks like discussion of Polar Cub is moot since the tech guy just told me it's been completely discontinued and has been replaced with the Mach 8, which someone mentioned, but I couldn't find the comment. The tech guy says it's about the same decibel level inside as the Polar Cub, but it's noisier on the outside.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #28

A couple more things -- the customer rep from dometic told me that there is a vibration kit that helps balance things -- because sometimes
they get off center. He also mentioned something about foam tape insulation. And the thickness of the roof versus the weight of the air conditioner is a problem. Terry and I both went online and saw that people with all different sizes and types of trailers are complaining about the dometic.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I'm sure Reace can handle that, Escape adds another piece of fg to it's roof when installing a/c and it is quite sturdy, see post #25
Old 09-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
There are some complaints on the Casita forum about the exterior noise (outside the trailer) on the Mach 8. Other campers have been complaining about it!

kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote