Noise from air conditioner. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
For us, the noise level (9/10) from the AC in our 19 makes it unusable at night. I would be looking for a motel if I had to try and sleep with it on. It doesn't strike me a a vibration or mounting problem. It's just a big motor moving a lot of air into a small space. The MaxFan helps move air into and out of the trailer but it doesn't help much if it's over 80 F outside. AND, if I could hear, it would be a really big problem. USAF radios pretty well took care of my ears. I definitely would not get the Dometic unit again. I wasn't aware that I had an option for a smaller quieter AC. Love my Escape, aside from a main door that didn't fit, a water pump that leaked all over, and a refrigerator that can't handle temps over 85-90 F. As focused as Reace and Tami are on a quality product, I would hope they might be looking for options.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I see a future road trip back to Chilliwack for a swap.........
Old 09-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
A great excuse to visit BC again. Just need to wait until the blackberries are on. Maybe next year on the way to or from Glacier. Or maybe we should start thinking of a 21.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
So as Terry and I contemplate spending extra for the smaller Coleman polar cub, are we all convinced that it is a big improvement over the Dometic Penguin?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I find it quieter then our Casita was. The Casita had a thump when it came that brought you out of the bed and the Escape is much smoother. The digital thermostat option ($150) is nice because as the temperature gets closer to the set point it automatically switches the unit to low speed fan. Then as the temperature reaches set point it cycles the compressor and fan off. It is also much more accurate and runs the furnace too. We have only spent 2 nights in it so far but ran it both nights and it does make noise (5-6) but no way we would be without it.

Escape will not do the digital option with the Coleman Polar Cub, only on the Dometic.

Our Casita was the Coleman Polar Cub and we were going to go with it until Tammy told me Dometic had made some changes in the unit and it was now a little quieter then before. I like it better then our Casita so far.

They say it is supposed to be able to run on a 2000W generator now also but I don't know about that. Have not tried it.

It looks better too.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #26

So I guess the real question is whether the most recent Dometics are significantly improved. It could be that the 2013 models are now similar or better than the Polar Cub?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #27

Well, it looks like discussion of Polar Cub is moot since the tech guy just told me it's been completely discontinued and has been replaced with the Mach 8, which someone mentioned, but I couldn't find the comment. The tech guy says it's about the same decibel level inside as the Polar Cub, but it's noisier on the outside.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #28

A couple more things -- the customer rep from dometic told me that there is a vibration kit that helps balance things -- because sometimes
they get off center. He also mentioned something about foam tape insulation. And the thickness of the roof versus the weight of the air conditioner is a problem. Terry and I both went online and saw that people with all different sizes and types of trailers are complaining about the dometic.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #29

I'm sure Reace can handle that, Escape adds another piece of fg to it's roof when installing a/c and it is quite sturdy, see post #25
Old 09-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #30

Trailer: Looking for 15b
There are some complaints on the Casita forum about the exterior noise (outside the trailer) on the Mach 8. Other campers have been complaining about it!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Maybe the solution to those steamy nights with the a/c blasting is to purchase a pair of earplugs, or even to go with earbuds/headphones with active noise reduction technology.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
You might read the posts at the Casita Travel Trailer Forum on the Mach 8. They are now using it on the 17's. While everyone's idea of "too noisy" is different, I'd sure want to hear one before I specified it as a replacement.

For those that do not want to join the Casita Forum (and you really should - it is useful no matter what fiberglass trailer you own or want) here is some of the discussion:

Many complaints about outside noise (even from neighbors), as well as increased inside noise compared to the older model. One user measured 73db 20' from the trailer. For comparison, my Dometic 11,000BTU AC produces a SPL of 60 db at 21'.

Here is the spec sheet for the Mach 8 9200BTU. Locked Rotor 58.4 amps
And the older Polar Cub Locked Rotor 45.6

and Here are the specs for the Dometic Penguin II Locked Rotor 53 amps. (I believe this is the model used by Escape)
The locked rotor current (useful for determining generator starting capability) of the new Mach 8 is over 10 amps higher than the older model, so before you make the substitution you might check to see if it will run on a Honda 2K generator. By the way, at 53 amps, the locked rotor current of the Dometic 11,000BTU AC is 5 amps less than the new Polar Cub Mach 8.

On edit - sorry kootenaigirl for duplicating your post (I was typing this one).
Old 09-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #33

Trailer: Looking for 15b
That's okay, your post was much more comprehensive than mine!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #34

Seems like the Dometic is the default air conditioner at this point.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I find it quieter then our Casita was. The Casita had a thump when it came that brought you out of the bed and the Escape is much smoother. The digital thermostat option ($150) is nice because as the temperature gets closer to the set point it automatically switches the unit to low speed fan. Then as the temperature reaches set point it cycles the compressor and fan off. It is also much more accurate and runs the furnace too. We have only spent 2 nights in it so far but ran it both nights and it does make noise (5-6) but no way we would be without it.

Escape will not do the digital option with the Coleman Polar Cub, only on the Dometic.

Our Casita was the Coleman Polar Cub and we were going to go with it until Tammy told me Dometic had made some changes in the unit and it was now a little quieter then before. I like it better then our Casita so far.

They say it is supposed to be able to run on a 2000W generator now also but I don't know about that. Have not tried it.

It looks better too.
Tom, what digital thermostat did Escape use in your trailer.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I don't care for that much noise while camping. I love to lay there before sleep and listen to the night animals. A loon or a whippoorwill, maybe a hoot owl or a coyote. Heck... I believe an intruder could make off with my tow vehicle or anything I leave outside while sleeping with the ac running. Sadly the price I pay to sleep in comfort here in the southern US.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I just assumed folks ran the A/C during the day or evening, and shut it off before they went to bed. Is this not the case?

I have never had it myself on any trailer, but have been in and around a bunch that do have it, and no way in the world could I sleep with it running.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #38

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I just assumed folks ran the A/C during the day or evening, and shut it off before they went to bed. Is this not the case?

I have never had it myself on any trailer, but have been in and around a bunch that do have it, and no way in the world could I sleep with it running.
We would run ours all night when the low was over 90F and the high during the day was 120+. Don't even get me going about the fridge temp.. The unit needed to stay on continuously when it was that hot...not that it was a great idea to go camping then... I wish my single air conditioner and the MaxiFan were reversed in location so the air conditioner was further away from the bed at night...and therefore quieter.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #39

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Does anyone have the separate thermostatic control on their Dometic AC and how do you like it? Was it installed at the factory?
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #40

I wish my single air conditioner and the MaxiFan were reversed in location so the air conditioner was further away from the bed at night...and therefore quieter
You will have to get the new 21' to have that