Noise from air conditioner. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 escape 17B
Noise from air conditioner.

Ordered a 17b with a roof mount air conditioner. The last post raised concerns about noise from the unit. Has anyone had experience pros or cons with this? We still have time to change our mind before the build and would like to weigh this one out. Is this something that just becomes background noise like the max fan? On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, how noisy is it?
dglasrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
I would say its a 5 or 6 - I don't know if I would keep it on all night, but it certainly helps to cool it off before you go to bed. I also have a pet that comes with us, and it's added piece of mind. The fan works fairly well, but it isn't, in my opinion, going to be all that's needed if you are in hot humid weather.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
I can only speak to the 2008 model - 11,000 btu I think? - but it's very noisy. It wasn't background noise like the Maxx fan, it was conversation deadening noise! But, as others pointed out on the other thread - it's a tradeoff. It depends on where you plan to camp and whether you're an A/C fan in the first place. AND, you don't have to use it unless you really need to!
I'd give it a 10 for noise factor, but I'm more sensitive to noise than heat! You could always get the trailer A/C ready and add it later, I'm guessing?
Christine
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We have a 2012 17b, and the A/C is definitely loud. I don't know that it drowns out conversation for us, but it is really noticeable. We rarely use the A/C, only when it is hot and humid. But, when we do use it, I am so happy we have it. When the night comes it is a bit of a conundrum. It is too hot to sleep without the A/C, and too noisy to sleep with the A/C. I have thought of getting one of the 12 volt window fans like this but so far haven't pulled the trigger.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Air conditioning is a necessity for us -- we didn't use it all that much in the airstream, but when we needed it we needed it -- mostly for cooling down the trailer before sleeping in it. It would be interesting to know if anyone has ordered their trailer air conditioner ready and then installed a smaller one on their own.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
It all depends ...

I spent the whole month of June, 2011 in a 17' Casita in Phoenix, AZ - the A/C was needed. It is noisy - I slept with ear plugs. I would not have been able to sleep without the A/C - just too hot.

We prefer to stay in quieter (non-hookup) campgrounds, but if we are leaving Phoenix in the summer we usually need to spend at least one night along the way somewhere hot - with hookups.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
It's definitely not just background noise. 7 on the noisy scale. Still, we do leave the AC on all night when needed. Would not give up the AC.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #8

My 19' is still on order, but I've ordered the Polar Cub unit per comments on this Forum. The feedback is that this unit is much quieter than the Dometic. A little less BTU so the unit will run longer but won't freeze you out when running for short periods.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, the smaller unit is a lot quieter both inside and outside,I had it on my 19', is it worth the up charge? You can use a generator with the smaller one, that is known. But I only used the a/c twice last year, so I decided on the bigger one in the 21'.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #10

What about purchasing the polar cub after market and having someone else install it? Would there be significant savings? I'd rather be hot at night than listen to air conditioner noise, but Terry doesn't feel that way, and I have to admit that when a trailer gets hot -- it is hot! It's not like a house getting hot.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #11

I do not like to mix before and aftermarket changes on major components, which the a/c is. According to their website the new Dometics are supposedly quieter than the older ones. To me it is not worth the effort to save a couple of hundred on a $30k unit. I'm willing to go with the new one and see. Course I'm already hard of hearing........
Old 09-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #12

I expect to have the Escape for 15 years(or so). The up charge is about $275. So for about $18 per year I'll very happily be able to decide between turning it on or not without the distraction of how loud it is. I know there have been times in my tent where I would have done anything for a cold breeze! Just my 2cents worth.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #13

Good point Kstock
Old 09-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I expect to have the Escape for 15 years(or so). The up charge is about $275. So for about $18 per year I'll very happily be able to decide between turning it on or not without the distraction of how loud it is. I know there have been times in my tent where I would have done anything for a cold breeze! Just my 2cents worth.
Air conditioning is an $875 option. Still, if you want to average it over a bunch of years, it does soften the blow.

My reasons for not getting it yet, were that it would age without use, and I didn't want to have to haul it around everywhere if I didn't need it. As well, I got to use the monies for other things until it needs to be spent. As mentioned before, there would have been only a couple times in 5 seasons that we would have wanted to use it. I do see in another 4-5 years that when I retire, I may go to places that would need it. Heat alone is not too bad, but the humidity out east may be a bit much for me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglasrud View Post
Ordered a 17b with a roof mount air conditioner. The last post raised concerns about noise from the unit. Has anyone had experience pros or cons with this? We still have time to change our mind before the build and would like to weigh this one out. Is this something that just becomes background noise like the max fan? On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, how noisy is it?
It is really noisy while in bed!...8-9
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #16

You have 2 speeds, low and high, on low you can carry on a conversation on high it is harder, I always use low cool.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #17

Trailer: 21' Escape
Air Conditioning

If you live in Texas there is no question about air conditioning. It is standard on the Casita
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Air conditioning is an $875 option. Still, if you want to average it over a bunch of years, it does soften the blow.

My reasons for not getting it yet, were that it would age without use, and I didn't want to have to haul it around everywhere if I didn't need it. As well, I got to use the monies for other things until it needs to be spent. As mentioned before, there would have been only a couple times in 5 seasons that we would have wanted to use it. I do see in another 4-5 years that when I retire, I may go to places that would need it. Heat alone is not too bad, but the humidity out east may be a bit much for me.
I was comparing the cost difference between the standard & upgrade. I'm in the south and to have or not have air is not an option. If I need air, then I will locate a campground with electric. I just want to make sure that noise doesn't become an issue for my wife and I.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
It is really noisy while in bed!...8-9
I do think a big part of the noise is vibration transmittied to the trailer through the unit mounting and then the sound is amplified. I may possibly make some modifications this Winter to address it...
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I was comparing the cost difference between the standard & upgrade. I'm in the south and to have or not have air is not an option. If I need air, then I will locate a campground with electric. I just want to make sure that noise doesn't become an issue for my wife and I.
Ahh, gotcha. I am glad I don't live in a climate where I would melt.
But, I do plan on making it that way to visit some day, and then I would likely have a nice new A/C unit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote